Did smelters skim?

S

stefen

Thats about 165 years ago...?

Its all supposition at best whatever they did then or today.

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
This would have bean dependent upon the honesty of the smelter's at the smeltery :wink:

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to get shot but I'm sure they still did it, like some dishonest people would today.

Where ever there is money to be made there will be crooks trying to get a piece of it

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Fever...aka thieves, high graders and claim jumpers have been around since day one. Lost Dutchman was the most infamous thief of them all and fired from the mine when caught.-John

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
I used to buy a lot of silver that came from the sunshine mine, this was 40 years ago. what I bought was called splash.. pour into the molds would sometime get bit on the floor. that is what I would buy under spot. I am sure the head office didn't know it was going out the door. somebody was skimming. I would buy it 10 or 20 pounds at a time. wish I still had it......

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering if during the Cal gold rush days, did the smelters do any skimming, like "one for me one for you"? What kind of control was there to prevent smelters from taking more than their share?

Raw placer gold was probably purchased (paid in full up front) from the miners by smelter agents and later smelted. The amount paid was based on the weight less a certain percentage which accounted for the buyers profit, impurities in the gold (attached quartz, alloyed metals other than gold, etc.) and the cost to smelt and refine. This is still done today. The miners may have been taken advantage of by inaccurate scales or price gouging in these transactions but if the miner was hard up enough he agreed to the price.

If the miners were selling ore or mill concentrates then the situation was different since gold quantities had to be determined after the fact so there had to be trust between the parties or, and this was often the case, the shippers had their own agents at the mill/smelter to look after their interests.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miners were paid for raw flakes and nuggets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread