Do they sell pumps that dont leak around the main seal?

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they sell pumps that don't leak around the main seal?

I'm striking out with brand new Honda pumps. First pump leaked from the main pump seal, fixed at dealership twice, and still leaked. They gave me another pump and at full power it leaks at that same main seal holding both sides of the water pump. These are brand new pumps...9840 GPH. This 2nd pump leaks less than the first but I need it for this weekend...crazy.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of such goings on with a Honda before like that. Production problem ,as with everything built now, faulty seal batch, not like a Honda. Extreme backpressure quickly could blow a seal-what are you feeding with it?How large/long a hose? Indeed not the norm-lots of luck-John

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2" hose fittings on pump, connected to 2" rigid suction hose, 2" rigid discharge hose, and 2" Keene dredge nozzle. Dredge nozzle reduces to 1.5 or 1.25" as I recall.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You could try using some gasket-making goop, or could buy some automotive, cut-to-fit gasket material and try that - the aluminum-sided stuff.

I'd run those ideas past your dealer first as I don't know what that might do to your warranty. If possible, take video of your setup and using the pump. That way the dealer can see exactly what's going n and how bad the leak is.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming that your priming the pump before starting?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Jog said.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look inside the dredge nozzle down the water uptake end. Sounds like a rock or? blocking the restrictor in it OR made with wrong reducer and needs to be opened up. Run the pump without the nozzle into 2 pools/barrels whatever to see if that is cause of your dilemma-lotza luck-John

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water would not flow without primed pump.....brand new never used Keene dredge nozzle with no blockage. 2" nozzle with 1.25" reduction (measured it). Pump does not leak if running with no dredge nozzle attached.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is some form of pilot error. Video would be easier than 20 questions

ratled

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few thoughts, and they may be all wrong... Is this a water transfer pump? A pump that isn't made to deal with much pressure, but basically made to move water from
Here to There?

If that is the case, choking from 2" down to 1.25", that's a cross sectional area from 3.14 square inches down to 1.22 square inches.. a 60% reduction..
Like sticking a banana up your tail pipe. Is this creating pressures in the pump that the seals were never designed to handle?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Water would not flow without primed pump.....brand new never used Keene dredge nozzle with no blockage. 2" nozzle with 1.25" reduction (measured it). Pump does not leak if running with no dredge nozzle attached.

You missed the point on both of their comments.

For what Jog said, what he was getting at is that running the pump without water will damage the seals.
If you are trying to get it to go without priming then that would lead to seal failure, starting it up for whatever reason while not pumping water will also cause the seals to fair.

For what John said, Your reducer inside the nozzle could be too small for the pressure and needs to be larger.

It was also said that these small transfer pumps are not made to handle the pressure that hooking up to a nozzle causes.

Just tryin to help figure the problems out.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
NOT LIKELY BUT could the orfice inside of the nozzle have been messed up and to small? maybe theres something blocking this orfice?? sounds like theres to much backpressure on that pump seal. it might pay to look inside the nozzle and / or measure that orfice...........

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by showing us a picture of the pump you are talking about. If it's the one I found by googling "honda water pump 9840 GPH" Then there's your problem. The one I find is a trash pump. Never designed for dredging use or back-pressure like you are creating. It was meant to pump water through an unrestricted hose from point A to point B.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tep. That's why the high pressure pumps cost a bit more.

It's kinda like trying to use a 1500 lb. winch with "extreme" gear reduction to pull a 5-ton weight. The winch, itself, just can't handle it. Probably not the cable, either.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about this one?
Honda WH20 Model Info | 2" High Pressure Water Pump | Honda Pumps

Of course, the weight is creeping up higher than I wanted @60 lbs dry.

No difference I see. Yes, it weighs a lot more than a true high pressure centrifugal pump. Will your pump work for what you intend? Possibly, but you have to pay the trade-off which is more weight, 1/3 of the working pressure and less volume. I know some guys use that style of pump for small highbanker/dredge units, so if you can find one that doesn't leak, I guess you could be good to go. What size dredge are you trying to run with it?

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What exactly is it you're needing? If you're needing to transfer water to a 1.25" port and don't need much pressure, then don't go with a high $$, high pressure pump. If you DO need high pressure, how high do you need it?? Do you want to be in the 60PSI range? Maybe 80PSI? More??

It "sounds" to me like you're looking for a compromise - something to feed a suction nozzle and then transport that material to your dredge. Do I understand this correctly?

What about going to a 1.5" pump? There's the Honda WX15 - 72 GPM, 54PSI and 20 lbs. Next would be the Honda WH15XK1 - 115 GPM, 55PSI & 49 lbs.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is it you're needing?

Thats the problem, he doesn't know what he needs. He's new to this and trying to DIY his first unit. BTW - that's a common scenario, but he is learning first hand why so many of us recommend buying a good condition, used setup instead of trying to homebuild your FIRST unit.

There is a actually a lot of complex (to me) hydraulic calculations that go into the designs of the commercially made units. Venturi pumps require a combination of BOTH pressure AND volume to function properly. Just like the reduction on the nozzle venturi is there for it's purpose, the design of the pump is for a reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread