How deep can I expect to dredge with a 2'5" ultradredge? 5 hp

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
HMM the pump is going tobe the problem with this kind of depth. A 2 inch dredge is supposed to be good for only a couple of feet deep. Why not build a subie 2.5 dredge for that kinda depth?? All you would need to build would be the sluice for under water. BUT then again the 30 foot depth is a killer.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way jose without a extra je/enginet and a GAST compressor as them t-80 are not much good past 16' or so. Immediately download a dive decompression table as at that depth you can easily get in trouble especially at altitude. I learned the hardway ONCE as pins and needles is ungodly pain...John

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Russau has the right idea. Been through this thought process before. Came up with a design, but never had the chance to build it.

Do you have a plain, old sluice laying around somewhere? If so, you can convert that into an underwater sluice so that your system doesn't have to pump way up high. The only problem then will be the tailings piling up. ...And that's assuming your hole is ONLY 30' deep! It may be much deeper below lots of rocks and debris.

Too bad there wasn't some way to divert the waterway so you could pump out the hole and work it without diving. Oh, heaven forbid! You might damage the Earth! :BangHead:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can run a surface 2.5" then most likely you can run a 4" subbie. If you call at the right time, Keene still has some 4" blanks in one of the 2 places. You can also still find them FS in places.

ratled

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ratled your correct BUT he still only has a pump for the 2.5 dredge. He would have to basically get all bigger equipment. Plus a subbie hangs from under its floatation. and that could be just above the bottom of the hole to prevent and tailings build up. AND John is correct (again) about the depth and a dive chart!!! Safe beats dead everytime!

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way jose without a extra je/enginet and a GAST compressor as them t-80 are not much good past 16' or so. Immediately download a dive decompression table as at that depth you can easily get in trouble especially at altitude. I learned the hardway ONCE as pins and needles is ungodly pain...John

Thanks John

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ratled your correct BUT he still only has a pump for the 2.5 dredge. He would have to basically get all bigger equipment. Plus a subbie hangs from under its floatation. and that could be just above the bottom of the hole to prevent and tailings build up. AND John is correct (again) about the depth and a dive chart!!! Safe beats dead everytime!

not really russau. If running a true subbie you don't have the lift requirements and the pump will work. The biggest power killer is is the breaking of the water surface and the lift above. if you run like this off a stand you probably are good to go. If you take fully underwater, and you can still run it off a stand, you need even less power. With a 5 hp motor, even with the air stealing a little power he is good to go

ratled

Subbie 4.png

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
nor really russau. If running a true subbie you don't have the lift requirements and the pump will work. The biggest power killer is is the breaking of the water surface and the lift above. if you run like this off a stand you probably are good to go. If you take fully underwater, and you can still run it off a stand, you need even less power. With a 5 hp motor, even with the air stealing a little power he is good to go

ratled

Ratled is right.

Look at it this way - if you're out digging a hole in the ground, the deeper you go, the actual "digging" requires about the same amount of effort. However, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep raising the shovel 4', 5' 6'...until you're having to sling it out of the hole. Is the same principle here. The higher that the engine/pump have to lift all that weight (rocks AND water), the more effort it is, and the more hp it takes.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I powered my 4" sub with a 3 1/2hp and an old p100 Keene pump, I only used it 10' deep
it would sink when powered up and float back up when I cut the engine.
you may get more out of a t80 by putting a smaller pulley and a bigger reserve tank.
I have a old brown/speedy that I can pump up to 55psi and get plenty of air at 20'
my t80 that I put on my other dredge I have to pace myself.
you could get a second pump and use two jets or a add a suction nozzle on the end...
DSC01064.JPG
copyDSC01063.JPG

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, you can't just put a blurb and picture and leave it at that. You have to give more info and if at all possible video! With that setup how was it for keeping it level and how was the recovery- as opposed to some kind of frame work? How was it in faster water? Inquiring minds have to know!!!

ratled

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All these posts prove that a gold pan is a gateway drug to a 6" dredge :laughing7:

I'm up to a 2.5" and will never need anything bigger, well, maybe a 3" will be better :icon_scratch:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ragnor, where are you located?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
not really russau. If running a true subbie you don't have the lift requirements and the pump will work. The biggest power killer is is the breaking of the water surface and the lift above. if you run like this off a stand you probably are good to go. If you take fully underwater, and you can still run it off a stand, you need even less power. With a 5 hp motor, even with the air stealing a little power he is good to go

ratled
ratled I agree with the subbie comment BUT ragnor wasn't talking about using a subbie (I did ) ragnor said he was using a 2.5 mini surface dredge and wanting to know about how deep he could go with it. That's where my comment was headed.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wish i could find a subbie on the east coast, every one ive seen is in california and i would have to morgage the house to ship it here.

mike,
i started there back in 2007, my first year i had a couple pans and a a51 sluice, the next year i came back with a 3" keene dredge and then spiralled downward from there.

as of today, i have a couple sluices, 2 highbankers, a 3" keene, a 3" homebuilt backpack "sneak" dredge, a 4" and a 5", this year im building a 6" with twin proline 400 pumps and honda 200s. just think the bigger the nozzle, the fewer rocks you have to move LOL

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
You wont have to pay shipping all the way from California if you would buy it from a local dealer closer to you! Then you only pay shipping from this local dealer to you OR go to him and pick it up!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All these posts prove that a gold pan is a gateway drug to a 6" dredge :laughing7:

I'm up to a 2.5" and will never need anything bigger, well, maybe a 3" will be better :icon_scratch:

Last year I bought a 3", and after a half dozen uses I'm already wishing I'd gone with a 4"....

I'm afraid I'm hooked.

- Brian

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau, the closest dealer is still 600 miles away, us northeast guys are like the baztard stepkids (wont let me post it right way), even the gpaa doesnt have many claims east of the mississippi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread