Vortxrex Nozzle?

mpgken

Oct 3, 2016
Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I have searched online and in these forums for info on the Vortxrex nozzle by Dave Frank but have not found the answers.

I just purchased the "plans" on ebay from him and received something in the mail. What I received is no where near complete. Too much information is missing for these to be called plans and there is no way someone could use what I received to actually make this nozzle.

I tried emailing Dave but have not heard back.

Has anyone built one of these nozzles and does anyone have the complete set of plans?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of getting DIY kit seems like you would start with the main body then follow the DVD and build up from parts you can find like at Home Depot.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ken to respond to your question, I have had one of Daves devices on my 4 inch dredge for a LONG time until I sold it to another member here. it worked GREAT!!!!PLUS I bought one of Daves plans and my wife pitched it by mistake and Dave sent me another one for free! Dave has answered every email that I sent him. His plans are there for a example of the build. It is a generic set so you could build one (or more) to your needs (2 , 4 .6 inch ETC.) Im using my plans for a 5 inch subbie and the exact measurements that you ask for need more info! the port size in the jet is matched to your pump capability . Once you say what pump GPM you are using, then the measurements can go from there. what engine / pump / size of unit and so forth. I don't know what your referring to as far as the air valve. the multiple fittings above the device are for water flusher valve ports. Mine had 2 ports .a 3/4 and a 1 1/4 for the flusher valve hose to hook to. Dave is a straight up kinda guy and I wouldn't have ANY problems dealing with him ever again! Bashing another person or Company isn't a very nice thing todo and copying his device and reselling them isn't nice either. I hope Ive helped explain your questions and ive done it sorta clear. Summing it up , you need to say what pump /engine your using before any figures can be said. I still don't know what your referring to as far as the air port. By the way the PVC material that this is made of lasts a LONG time for me!Over 10 years.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get an email from Dave but he would not answer any questions and told me if I did not like it to return the plans and he would refund my money! That is about the most rude response he could have given. The amount of time he took to write the reply he could have answered my questions. An honest person would have apologized and explained.

If you haven't wasted your money on the plans yet, don't.

When I get all this figured out and working I will make a set of complete plans so anyone can make the nozzle.

Sounds like someone needs to hold your hand and tell you, your a good boy, it'll be ok... His plans are complete and it's not rocket science... So you have one pump when you need double that...
Here's an old post that will give you some more info but look at the plans again until you figure them out... It's been 12 years since I've seen them but the size of pipe was at the top above the list... Don't be trashing people just because you need someone to hold your hand. If you can't figure it out then send him the plans back and he already told you that he would refund your money. Aren't you the kind of guy that can figure things out for himself and get the job done?
>>
Dry land/Dry dredging?

expanded metal tests

Venturi-Power Jet

The short answer is that the Vortxrex is based on the old Hydraulic Elevators which where used to lift gravel & water out of deep pits, even well below the water table.

You can demonstrate the same principal with a suction nozzle by bypassing a portion of the high pressure water from the venturi and using it to wash material down to the nozzle entrance where it is picked up. It does work, but the amount of water you can bypass is very limited as well as how far you can lift it.

The 4" vortxrex machine uses 2- 8HP engines with the old style 1.5 x 1.5 Keene Pump (or one 16HP engine with the 355s pump)

Each pump produces approx 175 GPM & head pressure of approx 175 Feet
1/2 of the water can be diverted & picked up by the nozzle or 175 gpm, while still producing enough suction to lift the same size rocks & materials 6+ feet out of the hole.

The nozzles are suspended by a gantry set up next to the hole, kind of like a giant marionette & you can raise or lower the nozzle assy into the hole as the dig progresses.

You don't move the nozzle constantly into the gravel face they way you do with a dredge, the nozzle actually stays in one location at the lowest part of the hole, then the bypassed water & material flows to it, where it is picked up, lifted out & up, and then out to the recovery system. This is a big advantage as you only have to move the oversize material out of the hole by hand & the undersized moves quite automatically to the nozzle where it is picked up... As you move the large rocks out - more undersize is freed up to flow to the nozzle & the material flow becomes very uniform which also helps the recovery.

The air/water/gravel mixture that is pulled into the nozzle is compressed into a gas mixture (not liquid) and it travels through the pipes VERY quickly, (much faster than in a underwater dredge) this is great for excavating the gravel quickly, but the air is detrimental to the recovery & must be removed before the slurry reaches the sluicebox - this is accomplished with a large ABS culvert, which the second jet discharges into - as well as the large open header at the sluicebox.
Dave Frank

DSCF0033.JPG DSCF0037.JPG DSCF0040.JPG DSCF0041.JPG DSCF0042.JPG DSCF0043.JPG Photo0.jpg P7280032.JPG 126-2611_IMG.JPG

Look close at the pics, the sizes are easily distinguished and your set up can vary without any problem. But you will need another pump. He was using the 16hp/ P355s in these pics.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It kind of sounds like maybe there was not a meeting of the minds as to what exactly he described in the original listing and what you perceived he was selling (?). A current listing shows that he is selling a kit with patterns, dvd instructions, etc. for about $30.00. Maybe you should take him up on the offer to return what you have and get the refund that he offered then buy the new kit with the DVD, etc.?

In any case...Good Luck.

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what size blaster hose do you want to run ? 3/4", 1",1 1/2"that is the size of pipe you drill for. yes he gives you more then one so you can use what ever size you want or have. if you are going to run it in a dredge you only need 1 jet log IF you run it like in his vids then you need to run 2 jet logs one as a lift and one as a booster or Gravity will stop your gravel from moving! its that simple oh and btw they do work

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, it will save money but... A tractor with a trommel will work a lot faster with a good operator. Basically I was trying to kick your butt into gear Ken :) You will want a minimum 1" blaster hose. You can always turn it down but the 1" hardline firehose makes a great blaster. Here's some more links from the 49ermike archives. -
https://web.archive.org/web/20060303164913/http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/topic,2976.0.html

https://web.archive.org/web/2010120...35616&sub_topic_id=35617&mesg_id=&page=#35618

https://web.archive.org/web/2010120...&forum=181&topic_id=55789&mesg_id=55789&page=

https://web.archive.org/web/2010120...opic_id=1806&mesg_id=1806&listing_type=search

https://web.archive.org/web/2010120...ic_id=46784&mesg_id=46784&listing_type=search

all from here -
https://web.archive.org/web/2010121...ow_topic&forum=185&topic_id=1&mesg_id=1&page=

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dont over think it

The jets have to be the right size or it don't work right. if the jets are to small water speed through the jet will be fast but not water volume jet to big water moves slower but has to much volume and no vac. its the speed and volume of the water from the jet that makes it work. for every action there's a reaction. just like your sluice box to big and little water or to small and to much water what happens? same thing it's a balance.

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
formula for what the size of the jet size that you drill to make the nozzle work ? if so Pm me and Ill walk you through it its not hard.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
:dontknow: sometimes my post will take and sometimes it wont! Bill- saf Please resend me your email. I accedentially deleted the one you sent this morning. It was a F.O.G. monument!

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need help finding the cone shaped bit for the injectors. I can't find one as big as the plans call for. Everything I have found so far is much smaller. Does anyone know where to get this bit?
Thanks.

If you are looking for a step down drill bit go to any harbor freight and pick your size ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479174330.101386.jpg

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ken there is a work around for it drill your hole for your jet size then kiss the end with a 1 inch drill and use a rat tail file to make your tapper when clean it up with a home made flap using a 6-7"x 1/4 wood dowel rod with a slit cut about 1" in the end and stick some sand paper in the slit and wrap it. chuck the 1/4 in a drill and smooth it out. And to find a reamer that size is big bucks more then you would want to spend for a one off. Oh and knock the sharp corner off the 1"end.

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread