Dive weight rig ideas

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with hard lead. While more comfortable, the shot bags grind, and make a lot of lead dust. Think of them as a little ball mill. Not very environmentally friendly.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear by this from Armadillo Mining Dredge Sales, Dive Equipment, Mining Supplies and Metal Detectors - ArmadilloMining.com I have had to bale out way too many times, way more than I would like. What is best is it keeps the waist release right where it should be -your front and center. With the standard single belt it always rotated on me and the weights were front and the release would be in back. Most times that I have had to use it in a hurry it usually just falls off my shoulders before I have to hit the shoulder releases. I never had to use both shoulder releases. I won't dive with out it.
<---------- LOOK, It is even in my avatar!

The key to any weight system is how fast and easily you can get out of it. I do a full practice in about 5' at the beginning of every season and "pre flight" before EVERY dive.... if for no other reason than to build muscle memory. Too many times I have seen a diver panic and forget about releasing the belt or fumbling with how it all works at the worst possible time.

One last thing. ALWAYS replace frayed belts no matter what!!!! No matter how small you think it is, even if you melt it clean with a Bic or "just one more dive and I'll get a new one". <----- ask me how I know this nugget of info.......Rouge 2014
ratled

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used suspenders from good old home depot for years. Just pop rivet the lead in place and wrap the claw catches around the belt(they lose grip) and poprivit also and good to go for dozens and dozens of years. John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Bill see if someone in a club near you has a weight mold that you can get together and made up several different weight lead weights to tune your belt for the current you'll be diving in OR just contact Keene and buy one OR make your own metal mold and start gathering old lead wheel weights.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made some from the junk I dredged out of the water. Might as well put it to use LOL

chupacabra

Jul 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used suspenders from good old home depot for years. Just pop rivet the lead in place and wrap the claw catches around the belt(they lose grip) and poprivit also and good to go for dozens and dozens of years. John

THATS exactly what i did with mine found some super heavy duty suspenders and riveted them to the sold lead weight belt, my belt i think weighs 55 pounds to keep my fat butt under water in a wet suit.

OP
OP
Bill_saf

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok thank you for the info the main thing that was on my mind was the OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo poop moment and dropping the weight! I dont want to be fumbling with it when my life is on the line and I need out. Right now its not fast water thats some thing else that I will deal with when it comes around. any one have a size for molds say 5 and 15 lb weights? I have 1/4" steel here that I can weld up and make some. For the lead I have already tried the tire shops near me and no deal but I have a sportsman shooting range that they shoot clays over a pond I was thinking of talking to them about some pond clean up for the lead. when I was a carpenter I had super heavy duty leather suspenders and the norm was 75 lbs in 3 large pouch's did that for 18 years and like most have a bad lower back from it.

Bill

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go Bill. I could only find my 15# mold. Also, I uploaded a little video so you can see how rock solid that belt is. Notice it never moves from it's position. At the end you can see how I tie a simple loop in the air line and thread the non buckle side of the belt through the loop. This keeps the current and general drag from pulling the regulator out of you mouth, keeps you tied to your dredge and if you have to bail out, the belt slips off without fowling you air line.

One great source for lead is if you have a sanctioned race track near you. The cars have to make weight and they use lead chunks. At least once a night someone will loose one, especially after a crash, and the rules say no one can re use that lead as it is damaged equipment. One block is about 75 pounds. The weights in the video were from such a source, poured in that that mold that I got from Mike Higbee years ago and are 17 pounds each. No need for a release agent with those molds but if you cobble your own you may want to consider it. If your use Pam spray with the flour in it, when the hot lead pours in it will smell like cookies! Be sure to pre heat your mold

ratled

W1.jpeg

w2.jpeg

w3.jpeg

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no fumbling with the belts as quick release same same as dive belt. Buy a wetsuit with a pee zipper and you'll have to take off your weights 1/4 of the usual times a day as NEVER pee in your suit as you'll pay the awful price. John

OP
OP
Bill_saf

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ no pee hole of any kind but there will be one with flap come spring. it may be warm but I ant going to stink that's for darn sure!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all dive shops know of a repair shop that can put a proper zipper in as your Netherlands don't like the cold much :laughing7: as icecycles on'm is a tough one and then you must pee even more more when diving frigid waters. Hope your all nice'n warm and toasty this season-John 8-)

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video just came up on my recommended section for you tube. I never thought about melting the lead in the mold. Also liked the idea it was fishing weights they used

ratled

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Bill I found a QR weight belt that has the pellets in it. IF you haven't done anything yet to do your belt , Ill give you this for free. Plus you were needing a length of 8 inch PVC. let me know what length you need , Ill throw that in aswell. I cant find your phone number and Ive been having problems here posting. Email or PM me and we will get it done! I don't think you and I could afford the postage on this to your home!!!:dontknow:

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A weight belt from a dive shop would be the easiest. You can then buy pouches if you prefer soft lead or directly add the hard led (divers belt will have proper quick release handle).

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep Matt I agree ! I found one of mine (Keene shot weight belt harness) and I just sent it to Bill (UPS)and a piece of 8 inch PVC pipe for free and its on the way! The lead shot for it Ill bring it to him (in the Spring?) or ill ship it to him USPO ..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Any body have any ideas on what carrier would be the cheapest to ship 5 10 lb pouch's od lead shot . UPS is expensive and I was thinking of the USPO with their $10 boxes . "If itll fit , itll ship ."OR deliver it this Spring with my dredges in tow?????

OP
OP
Bill_saf

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ If you want spring is fine. you know your welcome any time and bring the dredge's with! sound's like a plan to me what do you think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread