Water heater for a wetsuit question

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im assuming that once a person installs a wetsuit heater onto their dredge engine you MUST keep water running through it even it you are NOT going to use the warm water when diving. The way Im thinking , when the engine is running without water running through it, the copper lines that are brazed to the muffler would crystalize and crack because of the heat involved and cause for failure of that system. I would like to make / purchase a system for my 4 inch Keene dredge even if I cant move around good enough to use it. Maybe I could get enough people wanting to learn about dredging to try it out OR make this dredge VERY desirable for someone wanting to buy a dredge with options. Ive ordered the Gold Hog mats for it CAUSE I want to see how they do V.R.S. the current setup as a over under dredge with Veranda carpet. Hoser turned me on to this carpet some time back and I really like it! Thankyou John!! I bought this dredge early Fall of this year from my GOOD FRIEND Leonard Leeper and have been fixing it up to its GLORY :headbang: Ive used this dredge all over the Country with Leonard BUT he says its time to hand it up ! Its probly way past time for me to hang it up also BUT I want to give er heck one more time this Spring / Summer to see if I can still cut it ! Ive had a GREAT TIME and meet a lot of great people and Im still learning from some really talented people . Clubs come and go BUT friends last forever !:hello2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to braze anything to the engine. Simply pop off that muffler and head is theaded so screw in a appropriate size piece of pipe with a lockwasher and conduit nut. Then flexible auto muffler extension pipe to the heat exchanger bolted to your frame-looks like a still thumper as nothing but coiled copper-40' rocks. Then route with pc valve hose to your safety tank , the heat exchanger holding vessel to moderate temp so no/back/butt burns. When you exit the water you remove the tube from your back and slow the engine down. CAUTION YOU WILL BURN IF JUST LEFT IN WHEN ENGINE IS SLOWED, the flow decreases and the heat rises expotentially as your buns are melted shut. The holding vessel helps stop this for a few minutes if done properly.. When starting reverse till your ready to go under. Flow valve from a water cooler works mighty fine and no need to run all the time -or any now-as encapsulated(closed cell technology) rubber in wetsuits keep you plenty warm, but due to increased air within you need a few more pounds to stay down. Once I bought the new style from Pioneer almost 15 years ago I've never had a need to even use the heater anymore. Mounted even with header, thought it would be a better pic. Click should enlarge as heater is 4" steel about 18" long,sealed both ends. I have complete parts pic someplace Russ i'll try to find for ya-Stay warm back in Mo-John 100_0371 ol faithful 4 on trinity 20+ foot deep.jpg

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a R&D heater on my proline it was made in Coultervill not a homemade unit. If I don't let water flow thru it my hoses will burn off the exchanger so I will just leave it running into river if I don't need hot water. If I'm out in summer I just remove it and run a factory muffler.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked through a 1,000+ pics yesterday??? Have all the pieces lined up in a row but many MANY pics to look through hahaha. Valves are dangerous as they get plugged with slime,tiny rocks and you get burned. Must use a water filter prior to heat exchanger as yet another great spot for a plug up. John

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Reed how is Milty doing? I haven't heard from him since he went over seas to do that contact labor over there . I used to send him some videos & I think mags for his "leisure time" while playing in the sand repairing engines ............

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed how is Milty doing? I haven't heard from him since he went over seas to do that contact labor over there . I used to send him some videos & I think mags for his "leisure time" while playing in the sand repairing engines ............

He's doing good :) I haven't talked to him in quite a while but we talk on facebook here and there, share pictures, etc... :hello:

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built one this summer for in colorado... I always dumped it in the river if not needed on the sunny days. But the main advice i could give on hot water heaters is having a filter off the pump. Get the irrigation ones at home depot for 9 bucks n save yourself alot of head aches

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I warned as a hose filter works just fine, looks like a hose gasket with wire mesh ,about a buck and no buns melted shut by a burst a steam-John

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you wearing Polartec dive skins with the heaters? That's manditory for Navy divers using heaters. Helps to stop burns.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skivvies, t-shirt-water socks and good to go with closed cell foam technology wetsuits sold nowadays. John--PS Russ looked through yet another 967 pics ??? in between legal garbage for hearings/court dates

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The polartec dive skin is less permiable, and will help stop a steam bubble from baking your buns. And they add quite a bit of warmth under the wetsuit.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thinking about making one for my 6" to use when i head north

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread