5 inch gold grabber

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with a 5 inch gold grabber dredge? I can't find much information on them. How's there build quality? Does the flared sluice capture fine gold well? Does the 7 hp motor and gold grabber pump provide enough suction power?

Thanks all.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Currently 105 views and nobody commented ? There ought to be someone that has one or knows of someone that does or has used one! Why not contact Allan Trese (sp?) and pose this question to him ?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, was out :) The flare has always been one of Allen's signatures on his dredges. I have a lot of friends that know him and swear by his equipment and others that just swear at him all day long :evil6: but I really liked the old 6" American Dredge that we used back in 2005 and that was one of Allen's old 1980's dredges. As far as equipment goes, he puts out good equipment but as always look it over completely before buying just like with any brand including Keene and Proline.

Pic 030.jpg P5300017.JPG DSCF0010.JPG P6270102.JPG

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not popular so not many have used hense no comments, and the 2 jet system is a pain as convolution is never the solution. Different strokes for different folks . John

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by two jet system. The 5 inch gold grabber only has a single jet coming into the jet log.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The upper recovery is a sump fed jetted &^%$#@... hence was 2 jets on all the ones I've seen ran. Like all dredges the good, the bad and the downright ugly through the metamorphism of developements in design. Turned on the blaster and the upper flowed low and suction suffered also. Just saying keep it simple as triple or over/under work mighty fine. 100_0371 ol faithful 4 on trinity 20+ foot deep.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This lil'ol' thang was REAL fun with highly modified 18 hp Vanguard coupled to a modified special hi dome pump yahoo. 02-28-2013 07;15;44PM clear creek triple 6.JPG

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what pump seals it would use for a 6 inch dredge or would I have to buy new pump since they are not made anynore?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what pump seals it would use for a 6 inch dredge or would I have to buy new pump since they are not made anynore?

depends on the motor the seal from keene or proline for the shaft size are the ones you want,

Last edited:

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks winner!! i think they are the 7.0 hp subaru engines someone is selling a 6 inch up here in alaska looks like a solid machine it is a monster but looks like it can move a lot of material!!!!

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen the old keene triple sluice dredges with a single 8 hp powering the 3” pump that it uses. I dont know how they performed, though.

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at a 6 inch with the 2 7hp Subaru engines I can't find much info on them is that the 6 inch you were talking about? It is a monster 15 foot you herd anything good or bad about the 6 inch?

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, was out :) The flare has always been one of Allen's signatures on his dredges. I have a lot of friends that know him and swear by his equipment and others that just swear at him all day long :evil6: but I really liked the old 6" American Dredge that we used back in 2005 and that was one of Allen's old 1980's dredges. As far as equipment goes, he puts out good equipment but as always look it over completely before buying just like with any brand including Keene and Proline.

View attachment 1393428 View attachment 1393429 View attachment 1393430 View attachment 1393431
I am looking at a 6 inch with the 2 7hp Subaru engines I can't find much info on them is that the 6 inch you were talking about? It is a monster 15 foot you herd anything good or bad about the 6 inch?

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
back a few years, when i was in NC, a guy had his 4 inch gold grabber sluice load up and flip over.

he was working upstream and across the river. i didnt see it happen ( was underwater) but my buddy did, he said it was fine one minute and the next, it leaned to one side and rolled over. he went up and helped they guy flip it back over

near as we can figure, the guy mustve had the sluice too far back and not enough angle and loaded it up with smaller cobbles that didnt clear out since the sluice widens up toward the rear and they started pilling up when they slowed down, causing it to roll over

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
he was in an area i hit heavy 2 years previous, so i really doubt it. i ve gone back thru areas ive hit a few years previous including nice potholes and they didnt pay that good,

this year im gonna run thru a deep spot(15ft depth) that payed very well back in 2010 and see what replenished in the last 9 years

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first year on my 4" I managed to fill the sluice with rocks and it nearly swamped the dredge, I like to think it was the rocks in the sluice that prevented me from finding color it cant be the spot LOL

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread