Plunger hand dredge gold pan 2000, models of my concept.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plungerdredgepan1.JPG plungerdredgepan2.JPG

So here are my inventions the Plunger Hand dredge Gold Pan 2000 and 2001. Note all my inventions will be considered gold pans for legal reasons.

In all seriousness I think this might work especially on deep cracks. I can't think of a single device that has more suction power that's operated by hand than a plunger.

On the design with the longer tube, the idea is to have a really fine mesh on the end so that water can escape but keep in almost everything else if possible. The handle will be hollow and I think you would have to put your finger on the end of the tube for suction. Once water reaches the end let go and let it drain. You can remove the end piece so you can dump the tubes contents into a bucket/pan.

The second design would be a little harder, but has the same concept with the tube suction and putting your finger on the end then letting off to let the water escape. However it has circular pieces on the inside that are slanted upwards, they will be attached to hinges that will allow them to go upwards when suction is happening, but then immediately fall when it's not, trapping the material in the side containers.

Also pay no attention to the size of the tube, after thinking about it I would use something closer to the diameter of the handle.

Think it would work? I'm thinking about building the first design soon.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well I'm glad to see someone up-n-thinking this morning! BUT I think this device of yours may have a too short of a suction time . It basically has a pulsed suction that may allow the fine gold to drop in-between pulses. The traps are a good idea but would fill up quickly and require time to empty them out.Where as a suction tube (PVC Pipe)will have a extended time of suction compared to your device. And on the suction tube ( PVC Pipe) can employ jars / check valves to make them more efficient. There again I like the idea of yours being lite / small /cheap for those long walks to get where you wanna be alone!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry man but, you just can't say it's a gold pan.

It's well established what one is

As far as suction. plungers generate quick powerful suction and pressure on the push. They rely on the water in the pipe to add to the pressure and to do the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You both have very good observations. First of all the name was a joke, just a little jab at the laws. I agree about suction time, but this would be used just like a real plunger you would keep pumping it in the same spot. Not only would it pick up gold where you are sucking, it should actually pick it up in the surrounding areas. You keep pumping that one spot maybe ten times then move on once material keeps coming in, releasing the water as needed. Since bedrock will never be perfectly flat this works in our favor and allows material to come in through the sides. Could you lose the material that isn't in the tube part, but just in the handle, absolutely. However that's the main reason the second design exists, you could maybe put something under the plunger after you're done pumping to keep everything in. Either way even if you lose material each time as long as it's doing a better job than what a hand dredge does then it would be doing it's job.

The thing I'm most concerned about is getting the air pressure right so the same suction occurs that a plunger would have. However once I get that part down I think it would actually work. Imagine using a typical hand dredge to suck up your poop, it would do nothing. There's gotta be a way to make this so it has the same suction mechanic. Maybe a pipe is necessary like you said Goldwasher, but I'm trying to figure out what would be special about a pipe to allow this to occur. Plunger's certainly don't make a perfect seal around the hole.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crumbaker... Can you share what you have? I want in on that.. get my creative juices flowin.. on second thought.. my stuffs good enough, i dont want t go that deep.

So, a plunger works on two principles. Push. Pull. And push again. The first movement displaces the air thats captures in the plunger as you set in in the water over the hole. The rubber creates a seal around the opening as its pressed against the bowl. As a plunger is pulled up, it creates a vaccum, being under water, and sealed against the bowl, it pulls the water IN THE PIPE into the plunger. This also creates suction throughout the entire pipe system your plunger is working on. As its pressed down, pressure is rexerted back into the system creating a back and forth motion which usually dislodges SOFT clogs. Rarely does it work on solid clogs, trapped objects. You would need a short hose going into a containment chamber that in itself is attached to the containment chamber somehow. Almsot like a little capture box for a vacuum.

I'll stop there and say while I like where your heads at, creative thinking, this ones going to take A LOT of thinking and time. Plungers work on short actions, to create the necessary suction, i'm sure you'ved checked out other suction tubes created?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There was gold found about a half mile from me several years ago, but I've panned my streams with zilch ever found. My driveway is a kilometer long and I pass over two locations of culverts. I've been aiming to scoop out those culverts for quite a while, and I've been thinking about a gizmo similar to what you've posted. You've upped my interest in that with your post. For that reason, thank you for inspiring me again!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And we buy sluices, and there are sluices all around us!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You both have very good observations. First of all the name was a joke, just a little jab at the laws. I agree about suction time, but this would be used just like a real plunger you would keep pumping it in the same spot. Not only would it pick up gold where you are sucking, it should actually pick it up in the surrounding areas. You keep pumping that one spot maybe ten times then move on once material keeps coming in, releasing the water as needed. Since bedrock will never be perfectly flat this works in our favor and allows material to come in through the sides. Could you lose the material that isn't in the tube part, but just in the handle, absolutely. However that's the main reason the second design exists, you could maybe put something under the plunger after you're done pumping to keep everything in. Either way even if you lose material each time as long as it's doing a better job than what a hand dredge does then it would be doing it's job.

The thing I'm most concerned about is getting the air pressure right so the same suction occurs that a plunger would have. However once I get that part down I think it would actually work. Imagine using a typical hand dredge to suck up your poop, it would do nothing. There's gotta be a way to make this so it has the same suction mechanic. Maybe a pipe is necessary like you said Goldwasher, but I'm trying to figure out what would be special about a pipe to allow this to occur. Plunger's certainly don't make a perfect seal around the hole.
I get what your saying not trying to shut down your experimenting.

i wish you could just name things (the state has tried with a "suction dredge"

I would then call my dredge my gold pan :laughing9:

HANDS AND Pans ONLY sweeeeet... LOL

The main issue is how plungers work. the new ones have tho soft center seal for better contact. the old rubber cup ones didnt seal in new toilets as they changed designs.

A crack or feature on the bottom of a creek or river, the bedrock for that mater is no where near as sealable as a toilet bowl.

I would just get a hand dredge.

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get what your saying not trying to shut down your experimenting.

i wish you could just name things (the state has tried with a "suction dredge"

I would then call my dredge my gold pan :laughing9:

HANDS AND Pans ONLY sweeeeet... LOL

The main issue is how plungers work. the new ones have tho soft center seal for better contact. the old rubber cup ones didnt seal in new toilets as they changed designs.

A crack or feature on the bottom of a creek or river, the bedrock for that mater is no where near as sealable as a toilet bowl.

I would just get a hand dredge.

I think you're probably right, but this shouldn't cost too much for me to make, and even if it's a total failure it might lead me to something that might work. There's gotta be a better way than the way current hand dredges work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions