Open cell foam sluice mat

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever tried using 10 ppi (pores per inch) open cell foam as a sluice mat? It seems like it would work similarly to miner's moss. The benefit i can see right away would be that it's light-weight. Might be a way to shave a small amount of weight from a back packer. I just wonder if it catches gold as well as other mats. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1505455877.162966.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1505455890.129349.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jsurddy

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also choose the thickness of it.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the stuff they use for aquarium filters. I was checking it out at the fish store a few weeks ago. its pretty rigid....it had my wheels turning.

Too thick would not be good

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use that in combination with Scotchbrite to calm down the spraybar on my miller tables.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it would be a b i itch to clean with out destroying it.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah the general feeling I have is that it will either get destroyed in the sluice and if it doesn't you'll have to destroy it to get everything out. Miners moss I have found isn't really that great in the first place. In my opinion it works best in stream sluices or gravity powered highbankers where the flow of water will not stop until you are ready to clean out. In a situation with a motor where the flow may cut out and restart over the course of the working day I have found material in the miners moss will quit dancing after a restart, and new material will slick off. Seems like carpet is actually the way to go. It also seems that if your riffles are set up properly you only need somthing like a rubber mat under to seal the bottom of the riffles to prevent scouring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsurddy

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be a b i itch to clean with out destroying it.

The stuff i have seems tough and flexible enough to be washed. I guess the type of material it's made of would make a difference.

OP
OP
jsurddy

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the general feeling I have is that it will either get destroyed in the sluice and if it doesn't you'll have to destroy it to get everything out. Miners moss I have found isn't really that great in the first place. In my opinion it works best in stream sluices or gravity powered highbankers where the flow of water will not stop until you are ready to clean out. In a situation with a motor where the flow may cut out and restart over the course of the working day I have found material in the miners moss will quit dancing after a restart, and new material will slick off. Seems like carpet is actually the way to go. It also seems that if your riffles are set up properly you only need somthing like a rubber mat under to seal the bottom of the riffles to prevent scouring.

I dont think it would get damaged while cleaning it out, assuming the flexible stuff is used. The pores are big enough to allow stuff to fall out of it easily, especially if it's only 1/2"-3/4" thick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread