Eldorado County CA sniping questions

nathanj

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2007
Hi there,
I am interested in diving and sniping bedrock crevasses, small gravel deposits around and in deep pools behind watersides, waterfalls and rapids in the small, steep, bedrock-laden side streams of Eldorado County California (i.e. Rock Creek, Greenwood Creek, Slab Creek, North and Middle Fork Cosumnes river, etc.)
My question is if it is safe to say that some of these places that were in steep gorges with high stream gradients were hard for suction dredgers and early miners to mine? Would I have better luck in the most remote and difficult to access areas for virgin deposits in my field of interest or are virgin deposits really out of the question?
I assume testing would be the smartest way here. I am just trying to narrow some of my options.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Nathan
Missoula MT

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First things first. Every creek you named is on private land or has claims. There are some open areas.

However if you can drive close it is typically claimed.

Slab creek is actually accessed easiest by boat. Rock reek is steep several people have died at and above the access on rock creek rd. If you have an OHV there are spots you can get to from the F.S. OHV trails. there are some seasonal closures.

Greenwood is hard to access. It's private land where it meets the American. The river there is open to panning, sluicing and sniping.

Cosumnes is a cool river no dams. Best gold is around Grizzly Flat. Though again access equals claims. Many of them have been there for years.

There is some ancient river influence around Grizzly Flat. Though none at Slab , Greenwood or Rock. So, knowing the local geology and mining history is important as the gold is all from localized erosion.

Again learn to check land and claim status.

Also growing season is starting...there are people moving into the woods right now that don't like others around them. So, careful poking around on your own.

It's my back yard so I wish it wasn't that way but, they don't try to hard to stop it or deal with it until August when they can find stuff from the air.

OP
OP
N

nathanj

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2007
Hi Goldwasher,
Thanks a bunch for the help! I will do my due diligence as far as claims, growers and private property - I appreciate your guidance. I hear you about Rock Creek - there looks to be some steep spots. One of my specialties is dealing with steep, barely-accessible gorges and canyons (rope work, kayaking in, etc.). I actually whitewater kayaked down Greenwood Creek in 1996 - it was very challenging - lots of waterfalls, pools, pot-holes and heaps of bedrock. It was lots of fun, although we almost lost a boat!
How do you feel about my original question concerning whether or not dredgers or old timers could or could not get into many of these tough spots (what would they leave virgin)?
Best,
Nathan

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in the days those guy's did whatever they needed to when it came to gettin' to spots. Hellsbells they'd run a couple of miles of flumes just to get water to some spots. Deep pools....build a wing dam or blast to divert the stream. But on the other hand there was ALWAYS BETTER GOLD somewhere else and off they went.....so spots are still out there to find. There was a story told not to long ago (I think by one of the members here) that upon their arrival they set up camp and moved the dredge up stream...continued to scour up stream for several days and pretty much got skunked. I bit disappointed and ready to pack it home they tried one last spot right out in front of the campsite.....and bingo....oz's. If any of us know where the gold is we'd be there and not here...HA!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One more bit of wisdom when it comes to your question "did the dredgers miss any" I'll pretty much tell you yes, they did. But some tough guy's tried and if you can find a few spots they missed then you gotta undertake a mission to take the equipment needed and that equipment has an appatite for fuel and parts. It won't be a simple kayak trip with a shovel and pan. You being a kayaker could come in handy but just think back about those tough falls and pools and then imagine a facemask being ripped off with the current and trying to hold onto a hose that seems to want to go directly to the nearest ocean and still manage to keep your wits with sixty plus pounds of lead on yur waist moving boulders as big as your garbage can. Keep us up to date and there is nothing like the smile you have on your face when you pop up with a chunk the old timers missed. Happy mining.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes they missed stuff. lots of it. I hunt down remote areas and look for clues that it was hit only by the old timers. There are spots like that all over the Motherlode.

The reason I mention areas with ancient river channels vs. localized erosion is the fact that there are vast areas of gravels that were not worked.

They are still there and ready to be dug. Creeks cutting the channel gravel bank right there ready to sample.

One thing I've gathered from locals since I've moved here is that there used to be a lot more access via trails and roads that are closed , washed out or blocked by development that were much more open even twenty years ago.

There were several spots you could drive down to the Middle Fork and Consumnes that you just can't get to now.

There are many small creeks that have never been dredged.

Remoteness is a relative term...The old timers walked every foot of creek in the area. There were many more people, villages and miners cabins out in the woods than there are today in the area.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
miner-a·saurus ...........................soon to be classified as ex·tinc·tion

OP
OP
N

nathanj

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks guys, this has been a big help. I will keep you updated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread