After 20+ Years I Just Got Back Into Highbanking.......Been/Still Am Metal Detecting

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have been posting on the Garrett Metal Detecting for years here on Treasurent. I used to prospect 24 years ago, and just got back into it this spring. I live in Edmonton, Canada and have a large, flour gold producing (only) river, "North Saskatchewan" river running through it. Below is my current set up.....4' x 10" + 8" x 5' extension. 4' section usually runs with inverted mesh over vortex matting, then inverted mesh over minor's moss in the 8' extension. This all works reasonably well using a 1" water pump.

ns1.jpg

I have read many articles on sluicing and high banking, many on this forum to help with the decision with this setup.

ns3.jpg

Here are my results......I don't have a wt. on the gold. Close to a gram.....maybe? I brought along my metal detector for this hunt, and searched the surrounding shallow water. I was surprised to get a small silver ring. Also several coins. This area is a common launch spot for kayaks and canoes.

ns2.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a nice bit of flour in the pan!!! Really nice... hard to tell by just a pic exactly how much but if you put it in a 1 ounce vial you will have a better shot at guessing. Or you can get one of those cheapo digital scales... they are actually pretty accurate.

Gotta love that vortex matting for fine gold... does a good job of capturing it.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Thanks for your comments......

That vortex matting does capture that fine gold, with minimal amount of concentrates. I recently tried the dream matting, and was losing about 25-30% of my flour gold, which was captured in my extension. I was quite surprised, as it gets such a high rating. Perhaps it's just an issue with flour gold characteristics, of maybe I need more water flow? However, I manage to capture around 95% of my flour gold using the vortex matting. I was screening my gravel to 3/8 of an inch. That is with running 1" hose with my pump not at full speed.

b4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread