Moving sand in TX

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your pump has a 3" outlet, then just run 3" hose to a 3" intake on the jet. The jet reduces the size itself down to less than an inch. If it's Keene, it will be around 7/8" for the 3" or 5/8" for the 2" and either will work.

Got it - this is the 4" with a 3" intake from what I can tell? 4" Power Jet with 3" Jet Log: Keene Engineering Online

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup thats the one if you have a 3" pump. I used an older version of that jet on my dredge for a couple seasons, it really moves a lot of water!

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup thats the one if you have a 3" pump. I used an older version of that jet on my dredge for a couple seasons, it really moves a lot of water!

Great - going to order the parts and get it put together!

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what kind of a head/lift I will get out of this setup? There are areas where I am likely going to have to pump up onto land. Could be 7-8' above water level. The pump has plenty of head lift on it, not sure what the jet setup does?

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need lift, the go with the 3" powerjet with the 2" jet or build your own 3x3

Thank you - this is super helpful. That sounds like it may make sense. Any idea how much lift I could get with the 4X3?

I'm guessing there is a tradeoff - lift vs. volume. The 4X3 from my calculations should run 70% more material?

I might be able to get by with only 2-3' of lift up onto one specific bank that I can access with a skid steer to haul out the material.

Any thought on the craft I build to float it? I was thinking of putting this all into a 12' aluminum jon boat that I can trailer/launch. Every pic I've seen of a setup typically uses some variation of pontoons to form a wider platform - but also to accommodate a sluice box which I don't need. That said - the jon boat is relatively narrow and might not be stable enough. Debating building a platform that connects to two kayaks as pontoons instead.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you - this is super helpful. That sounds like it may make sense. Any idea how much lift I could get with the 4X3?

I'm guessing there is a tradeoff - lift vs. volume. The 4X3 from my calculations should run 70% more material?

Any thought on the craft I build to float it?

with a 3" you will move material faster, a lot faster being that it's just sand. With a 4" lifting it above the waterline, you are setting yourself up for a sand plug... Not fun... The 3" will blast the sand thru it really fast and throw it out the back. I've never used a trash pump for this myself, so I can't answer your first question, but here's a quick easy platform video.

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with a 3" you will move material faster, a lot faster being that it's just sand. With a 4" lifting it above the waterline, you are setting yourself up for a sand plug... Not fun... The 3" will blast the sand thru it really fast and throw it out the back. I've never used a trash pump for this myself, so I can't answer your first question, but here's a quick easy platform video.

Great - thanks. Ok - I'll do the 3X2 then. That works pretty well with the pump I have already and all the hose I have. Will get 2" for the intake. 3" Power Jet with 2" Jet Log: Keene Engineering Online

That looks like a great solution to build the floating platform as well. Thank you!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can still get just as easy a sand plug on a 3", if you are planning on pumping a lot of slurry up out onto the bank an extra jet really helps.

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great - thanks. Ok - I'll do the 3X2 then. That works pretty well with the pump I have already and all the hose I have. Will get 2" for the intake. 3" Power Jet with 2" Jet Log: Keene Engineering Online

That looks like a great solution to build the floating platform as well. Thank you!

I'm on my way to getting my dredge built - ordered the stuff from Keene, going to build a floating frame like this one. The virus shutdown has it on hold for a bit...

As luck would have it we got flooded last week. Dumped a huge pile of sand in front. My job has gone from manageable to potentially not. I may need to lift more.

Asking a few contractors around, they say they a pump like this one would make quick work of it - apparently they use them for moving stuff like this. I can rent one for a week for under a grand. Thoughts? https://www.wackerneuson.com/en/us/products/pumps/self-priming-trash-pumps/model/pt6lt/

There is another option - a double diaphram pump. These rent for $600/week here. They are telling me it will move anything, sand, mud, 3" rocks.... and lift it all easily 20' onto the shore. https://myerssethpumps.com/pumps/dd6-double-diaphragm-pump-6″/

Thoughts?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one looks best, but can you get it out there without having to worry about it sinking? How often are you going to have to rent it? Does it come with hoses? This will require 2 people with one at the pump at all times. The suction hose is usually really heavy, coming in 10' sections that clamp together with cam-locks, and it won't bend that easily. You should go look at it first, then see if you can handle it. There's nothing wrong with the 3" set up and it won't sink.

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one looks best, but can you get it out there without having to worry about it sinking? How often are you going to have to rent it? Does it come with hoses? This will require 2 people with one at the pump at all times. The suction hose is usually really heavy, coming in 10' sections that clamp together with cam-locks, and it won't bend that easily. You should go look at it first, then see if you can handle it. There's nothing wrong with the 3" set up and it won't sink.

I will probably build the 3" first and try it out, but I now am facing at least 100 yards of material to move, and I may need to lift it 10' or more in some cases. From what I understand the 6" would move a LOT more volume/higher/faster.

That is what I figured on the hose - the 3" stuff is heavy enough already. My plan would be to hire someone to help me with it. It comes with hose, trying to clarify how much actually.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dredge pump will not pump sand it will destroy it in seconds. You need a nozzle hose jet and the biggest pump you can afford. Run it like a dredge without the sluice. If you’re on the Llano a sluice wouldn’t be a bad idea. This little nugget came from Longs fish and dig.
View attachment 1802748

I live in Pflugerville and haven't been at Longs in a good while. I am on Active Duty at Ft Sam Houston. What size dredge are you using? I am looking to get one but haven't decided how big of a dredge I want to get. I don't want one too big but I don't want a small one either.

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phase 1 is complete... I made a floating platform from a couple kids kayaks that were not getting much use. Seems pretty stout, the kayaks together have a 260lb capacity. It is about 60 inches wide, 60 inches long. Carries pretty easily. I have extra pipe and strut channel, but after building this out I'm not sure it is worth adding more weight.

Now the rest gets assembled hopefully this week.

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final update - the dredge is complete using a 2" input into a 3" valve. I assembled it all, finally got a chance to launch and test it. Worked perfectly! The output hose pressure is nuts - almost hard to hold and it is sucking more sand than ever.

I wound up putting a strainer on the 3" input. With just the straight hose it could get out of hand and virtually clog itself with sand. With the strainer on it, it is still moving a lot of sand but less likely to bog down.

The output hose works really well as a sand blaster as well - for spots that just need the sand moved I was able to turn it around and blow down a couple feet in minutes.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. Great project!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good. Now take a bungie strap and hook your strainer to your floating frame so that its not sitting on the bottom. It only needs a few inches of water over the top of it.

OP
OP
D

daylorb

Feb 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good. Now take a bungie strap and hook your strainer to your floating frame so that its not sitting on the bottom. It only needs a few inches of water over the top of it.

That's exactly what I did. It is cut to just sit below the surface, about 6-8 inches. Will send pics of it in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread