Help a Dredge Newbie Troubleshoot?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Back-of-the-boat
  • 3 Post By mike(swWash)
  • 1 Post By russau
  • 2 Post By N-Lionberger

Thread: Help a Dredge Newbie Troubleshoot?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2020
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help a Dredge Newbie Troubleshoot?

Hi all,

My irrigation pond has been silting up over the years and I'm trying to pump out the muck and keep it usable as the water level continues to drop this summer.

I've been reading about DIY dredge set-ups in this forum and thought I had a workable set-up, but it's not sucking at all... only pumping water and bubbling the muck up to the pond's surface. Here's a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DredgeSetup.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	1854026

I'm using a 2" Honda water pump (pumping at around 75 GPM) with some PVC fittings and ABS pipe I had lying around. You can barely the 2" intake behind the pump in the picture. I'm then pumping out through the sorry contraption pictured above. My failed venturi is a tee at the end - 2"x2"x1/2". Coming out of the 1/2" part of the tee is a 1/2"x3/4" fitting, a 3/4" elbow, and a 3/4"x1" insert fitting attached to 25' of 1" suction hose. I've bent chicken wire around the tee as there are leaves at the bottom of the pond which I don't want to suck up and clog the tee.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4835 times
    If it is silted up I think you are going to need an excavator to dredge out your pond.
    russau and Clay Diggins like this.
    back of the boat

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1352 times
    Prospecting
    I agree with B.O.T.B. on the excavator. If that's out of your budget and you have the time here's something that will work with what you already have bought, as long as all you are sucking up is mud and silt. Not exactly a 1st rate, high efficiency dredge nozzle but should do what you want.
    Drill a hole in the pipe install an elbow inside the suction pipe, center the 3/4" elbow outlet in the suction pipe as best as you can, glue the crap out of it, Add more pipe and a coupling as needed to be about 18" from the nozzle inlet . You can even install another "jet" 1/2 way down the pipe to help keep it moving through a longer pipe.
    Crude but cheap 2 stage dredge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRUDE.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1854042
    Don't try to hog it out, by that I mean bury the nozzle, you'll want at least a 50\50 mix of water to mud maybe even 20%mud/80% water.
    If it's trash pump then you can use the pump inlet line directly as the suction hose, pump the mud/water through the pump and discharge the muck/water mix through the outlet line..... but it'll wear out the impeller much faster.

Good luck my friend
    Last edited by mike(swWash); Aug 04, 2020 at 08:23 PM.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4812 times
    wrong pump (pressure & volume)/ wrong venturi setup (needs to be balanced with the pump your using!. Venturi need's to be under water at all times! I agree with using the excavator to dig it out !
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Aug 2020
    I appreciate the advice guys - thank you!

Jun 2017
    216 times
    despite everyone saying you have to have a high pressure pump, you can use a dredge nozzle and your pump as long as the outlet hose is not too long, maybe 10' or so. It wont be the best but it will beat trying to muck it out with a shovel. you can get a 2 or 3" dredge nozzle for around 125 bucks.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12796 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ive used a trash pump to run a dredge. Just have to build up pressure to the jet/nozzle depending on what you are using.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1043 times
    Prospecting
    As far as I can tell he is running a 2" by 1/2" T from a trash pump with some 1" suction hose attached at the T, I fear the OP has some things mistaken on how a dredge operates. The side inlet of a venturi is typically your high pressure inlet, it cannot be a T connection or else it will not create suction, its just water crashing into a wall and squirting in two directions. The high pressure inlet needs to go in at 11 degree angle to create suction. Looks like you have things backwards.
    russau and Reed Lukens like this.

Sponsored Links