Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher (updated)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1944 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher

You just need metal window screen mesh covering,indian head style a cloth and all the electrostatic charging you'll EVER need is instantly created and for gods sake keep magnets outta the mix-Read Jim Straights great book Following the Drywashers and you'll learn a lot and see pics of the best drywashers ever built-my PESCO brand-copied by everyone and knockoffs-John

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1811 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John
    You just need metal window screen mesh covering,indian head style a cloth and all the electrostatic charging you'll EVER need is instantly created and for gods sake keep magnets outta the mix-Read Jim Straights great book Following the Drywashers and you'll learn a lot and see pics of the best drywashers ever built-my PESCO brand-copied by everyone and knockoffs-John
    Thanks for the tips HJ

I also have an idea to eliminate the dust (except for feeding the hopper) Why not just throw a clear cover over the whole assembly leaving a hole to feed the hopper? I think I will call it " GG's Drywasher Poncho"

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1811 times

First test!

Ran 50 lbs. fine sand with 5 BB's

Looks just like dirty water
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw1.jpg 
Views:	1998 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	452075

Almost Finished.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw2.jpg 
Views:	1793 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	452746

All 5 BB's were found in the first riffle

Next test will be with some of my pickers that I brought back from Georgia and some of my fines from Indiana.
    Will also try out my "GG's Drywasher Poncho" dust preventer

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~

ie
    Nov 2008
    Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
    Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
    2 times

Re: GG's $65 Wastebasket Drywasher (updated)

Cool washer, but without the traditional cloth covered screen you will miss your fines and pin head pickers.. Also you need to add dead air space strips. Fines are the drywashers bread and butter and if you are going to Az you don't want to miss them fines. I drywash Az three times a month trust me on this.

You can PM me if you want my number.
    www.colonywoodscreening.com

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    1811 times

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Hammer
    Cool washer, but without the traditional cloth covered screen you will miss your fines and pin head pickers.. Also you need to add dead air space strips. Fines are the drywashers bread and butter and if you are going to Az you don't want to miss them fines. I drywash Az three times a month trust me on this.

You can PM me if you want my number.
    Thanks for the input Yellow Hammer

It has dead air strips under the riffle tray (1" wide duct tape).....if you look close at the almost finished pic you can see that the material just above the riffles is not being blown.
    What I am not impressed with, is the dead air space after the riffle.

I want to use it without the cloth a few times first............. I tried some fines and did lose a little, but would have been able to recover them as I had the whole thing covered sitting over a tub with a tarp underneath just in case. The fine loss was so tiny I haven't bothered to pan it yet.

You really have to see this stuff to appreciate the design. there are just tiny air vents on each side of the perforations and the raised perforations really help to separate the material being ran, air can penetrate the vents but you would be surprised how only teeny tiny dust can fall through and I think that is only when I turn off the blower.

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~

ie
    Nov 2008
    Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
    Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
    2 times

If you get down to Q'Site this winter I would like to check it out.
    www.colonywoodscreening.com

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Combine
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
    68 times

That is a great design! Are you going to manufacture and sell them?
    Not all who wander are lost - Some of us are simply confused. (Apologies to J.R.R. Tolkein's memory)

GARRETT / FISHER / TEKNETICS
    www.anthonysdetectors.com
    anthonysdetectors@live.com
    214-499-2530
    The very best in American made detection equipment!

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    1811 times

Quote Originally Posted by ThTx
    That is a great design! Are you going to manufacture and sell them?
    Thanks for the compliment ThTx
    I'm not into production, I just like to make my own stuff for the fun of it.

Go for the gold!
    GG~
    Aufisher likes this.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    616 times

it appears to me that your riffel set is aimed backwards(aimed aimed towards the exit of the tray) riffels in a drywasher are oppisite of a water system. but its early and i have only had 1 cup of coffee so far, maybe my eyes arent working right yet! right John!haha

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    1811 times

Quote Originally Posted by russau
    it appears to me that your riffel set is aimed backwards(aimed aimed towards the exit of the tray) riffels in a drywasher are oppisite of a water system. but its early and i have only had 1 cup of coffee so far, maybe my eyes arent working right yet! right John!haha
    It's an optical illusion
    The riffles actually are set at 110 degrees. That would be 20 degrees toward the material from a 90 degree angle.

Have another cup on me

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    616 times

3rd cup down! ahhhhh i feel better already! haha static will be created when hot air goes through the plastic tubeing.aslong as you dont have any metal inbetween the source and the material. metal will short out/ground the charge!this is why i like the Keene 151 blower for their drywasher. the air is ducted around the engine sending real hot ait throught the plastic tube to the drywasher.i made my own drywasher and its all plastice to the box. the punchplate that i have inside of it was made from Lexan plastic and i used a peice of S.S. punch plate as a guide for drilling all my holes in it. i also counter sunk all the holes from the bottom side to creat a slight increase of air pressure under the riffels. i puposly didnt drill under the riffel bars so it would creat a dead spot. been to New Mexico many times using it.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    1811 times

My blower produces really hot air as well. But I do have metal (aluminum) between the air and the material being ran so I guess I am losing any static charge created by the plastic hose, Sooooo back to the drawing board

Wait a minute I know it will catch gold even without the static charge, so maybe it isn't as effecient as a store bought costing hundreds more, I can still have fun with it until I design a better one.

Actually I wont even get a chance to try it out in the field for another year, so I will have plenty of time to get it perfected by then.

GG~
    ~Diggin The Adventure~

us
    Jun 2008
    North-Woods WI.
    MineLab/Garret / Whites DFX / Gold Bug
    26 times

Supper Job I like it

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    616 times

GG so your from S. Indiana.........your not to far from me.ive been to Indiana several times over the years also.i was planning a trip this May but with the price of fuel jumping up i may have to cancell my trip.

Aug 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    9 times
    Prospecting
    I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity of the folks on this Forum. Wastebaskets!!! Who would have ever thought!! Not I!! I'm new to this game, and have been reading as much as I can about various products to buy/build, but would NEVER have thought of using wastebaskets. Also would not have thought of using ironing boards as a source for classifier screens as I've seen on some other postings.
    You guys are GREAT!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors