Drywasher vs recirculating rocker box

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John,
It really depends on how much material you want to get proccessed in a day. While water is always prefered method of gold recovery, a rockerbox is a rather slow method but effective and quite efficient. Drywashing you can work more material even when running it twice, it's not as efficient but you don't need to haul water unless you plan to pan on site. It really depends on what you want to accomplish.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
J

John-K

Jul 31, 2012
>GJ Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the things that concerned me is I have hearde that drywashers can have problems with fine/flour gold and that is the primary stuff this far down river. Wasn't sure if running it through twice really saves that much in regards to fines. Not carrying water is a huge plus but the keene puffer isnt the most packable anyway for upper terrace work. :-)

The rocker box may be a winter build project for fun.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you are running VERY dry soil like we do in Arizona, the drywasher is probably not your tool of choice. A small Goldbuddy re-circulating sluice is better than an old-fashioned rocker box..

OP
OP
J

John-K

Jul 31, 2012
>GJ Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am on the western side of Colorado. Lots of dry terrace type places. Similar to the Prescott/Kingman areas when I was last out there. I have a Keene puffer and hadn't factored in the amount of space it requires to transport to the site or terraces. :-)

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eb-drywasher

ebdrywasher5.jpg

ebdrywasher2.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique huffa puffers suck at gold finding. Constant flow offset elliptical drywashers get 10X the volume and recovery as in fact you have created a air style fluidized bed. Recirc is a pain in the butt as quickly becomes thick soup in your area. Plus hauling all that water,pumps,hoses etc etc. Go dry and you'll be a MUCH happier wealthier miner-John

OP
OP
J

John-K

Jul 31, 2012
>GJ Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay. What is an offset elliptical drywasher? I have looked at a little bit on drywashers and they only seem to really discuss puffer (manual and motor) and constant flow with a blowere of some type. I currently have a keene puffer with motor waiting to go out in the hills. I hadn't heard that there was a huge difference in the recovery. Other then moving more material.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. What is an offset elliptical drywasher? I have looked at a little bit on drywashers and they only seem to really discuss puffer (manual and motor) and constant flow with a blowere of some type. I currently have a keene puffer with motor waiting to go out in the hills. I hadn't heard that there was a huge difference in the recovery. Other then moving more material.
keene151-drywasher-300x284.jpg

Provides a steady airflow creating a continuous fluid bed above each riffle. There is an internal fan blade which has an offset weight to shake the sluice.

572175239_tp.jpg

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Yup, agreed.. Buy a Keene 151 and beat the hell out of that thing. If you can move alot of material all day buy this.. If you are slower or older, buy a 140,, smaller an lighter. Both work very well when set up right. Good luck brotha

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mellow is right I have a 20 year old 151 and I got it second hand and it works great.
I change the oil and spark plug every other year and it always starts in 2 or 3 pulls.
It was well made. I do do 2 runs of the same material if I got the gas.
I do a clean up between each run.
Last time up off the Cajon pass, off the 138.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread