AZ Claim

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is your claim? Southern, Central, Northwest Arizona? What type of drywasher do you have? Recirculating sluice? Ever done this before?

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Close to mayer AZ. I have been gold prospecting for 2 years now, mostly dredging. This will be my first time drywashing. I was going to buy a keene 151 drywasher. It will be me and 3 other friends.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is your claim? Southern, Central, Northwest Arizona? What type of drywasher do you have? Recirculating sluice? Ever done this before?
Terry, Mayer is southeast of Prescott. Between Wickenburg and Prescott. I've been through there but no digging. It should be a good place for him. Hope he didn't get soaked for the claim. There are SO MANY coming up for claiming with only the cost of filing. Ok, I got bit recently.... but I'm not out thousands. THAT would be hard to swallow! I hope that works for you Mu50tang. Good luck. Let us know. (a PM would get TimC or me to come and help you out when you get here. We are less than an hour away) TTC

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry, Mayer is southeast of Prescott. Between Wickenburg and Prescott. I've been through there but no digging. It should be a good place for him. Hope he didn't get soaked for the claim. There are SO MANY coming up for claiming with only the cost of filing. Ok, I got bit recently.... but I'm not out thousands. THAT would be hard to swallow! I hope that works for you Mu50tang. Good luck. Let us know. (a PM would get TimC or me to come and help you out when you get here. We are less than an hour away) TTC

I drove Hwy 93 last weekend between Kingman and Phx.... wow I like that out there! I grew up in Ariz, Flagstaff actually. That was the first time I had driven 93.... made me want to go out and buy a drywasher for sure!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close to mayer AZ. I have been gold prospecting for 2 years now, mostly dredging. This will be my first time drywashing. I was going to buy a keene 151 drywasher. It will be me and 3 other friends.

Before you spend too much money on a name, check out Bret Chilcott out of Chandler, AZ. - AZ Desert Gold He builds the machines for our school, and in my opinion they are the best at keeping the gold in the tray. We call the "Pocket Rockets," because they are compact, light and fast! I think you are a little above the trend in Mayer, but I hope I'm wrong. Big Gold!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drove Hwy 93 last weekend between Kingman and Phx.... wow I like that out there! I grew up in Ariz, Flagstaff actually. That was the first time I had driven 93.... made me want to go out and buy a drywasher for sure!
As you found out, the desert areas along that part of 93 are BEAUTIFUL! A rugged beauty the Flag forests don't have. Take care. TTC

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
I I was looking at a map and did see the name of a creek running through it but the previous owner said there wasn't any water on the property. The owner did claim to have found some pickers and an occasional small nugget when they were using it, but who knows how much truth there is to that.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked it up for less then a basic drywasher and its 160 acres so the price wasn't bad. Looking at google maps it looks real promising. I was looking at a map and did see the name of a creek running through it but the previous owner said there wasn't any water on the property. The owner did claim to have found some pickers and an occasional small nugget when they were using it, but who knows how much truth there is to that.
There is an oft quoted saying that at the bottom of a gold mine is a liar. You will soon learn if the claim is worth it. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidently, you know you will pay maintainance fees every year, right? Per 20 acre piece, right? At (I believe) $140 per 20.... or file waivers. I don't think you got a patented claim. Did you do the filing with Feds and county? Just looking out for ya. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked it up for less then a basic drywasher and its 160 acres so the price wasn't bad. Looking at google maps it looks real promising. I was looking at a map and did see the name of a creek running through it but the previous owner said there wasn't any water on the property. The owner did claim to have found some pickers and an occasional small nugget when they were using it, but who knows how much truth there is to that.

Congratulations on acquiring your first claim :occasion14:
It will be a learning experience that will help prepare you for a lifetime of prospecting adventures.

GG~

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read here you're going to need a good respirator if you intend drywashing. Me, I'd bring enough water to run a recirculating sluice.

Good luck to you! Just being outside in beautiful country is a reward in itself. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Wouldn't the water get to muddy with a recirculating sluice. We plan to run for at least 10 hours a day. I would prefer the water method but it seems it might not work to well.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the water get to muddy with a recirculating sluice. We plan to run for at least 10 hours a day. I would prefer the water method but it seems it might not work to well.

At some point you will need to be able to transport your concentrates to a water source for further processing. That includes concentrates from a drywasher.
Most residents take their concentrates home to wet process them. Since you are a non resident you will need to make arrangements to access a water source.

Also did you know that on BLM land you will fall under "Dispersed Camping" rules:

"Dispersed camping is allowed on Public Lands in Arizona for no more than a period of 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days. The 28-day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands. The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period. After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation. The purpose of this special rule is to prevent damage to sensitive resources caused by continual use of any particular areas. In addition, campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than 10 days.

To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area. PACK IT OUT."

Here is a link for some good info on what you may need permitting wise depending on what type of land disturbance you may be planning on in the future: How to file a Notice of Intent or Plan of Operation arizonaminingclaims.com

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for all the info so far. If we are just drywashing with a shovel do we need to file a notice of intent?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info so far. If we are just drywashing with a shovel do we need to file a notice of intent?
No. There are 3 levels of mining. Casual, which includes panning and drywashing, notice of intent (explosives and dozers) if less than 5 acres of disturbance a year, and Plan of operation, which is all larger than 5 acres of digging. TTC

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks Terry. This first trip is just to sample and find out whats there. What amount of gold would warrant bringing in a small excavator to move more dirt?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread