Build Your Own Vacuum / Blower

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go KAZ (keith). Looks real good and that must have been some job using a drill and a dremel tool..... I found some time today and also finished mine up. I also did not do the deflector yet but put a 45 degree black plastic pipe inside the 2" compression fitting just to see how it acts but can add the deflector if i don't like it.... one wrap of gorilla tape and it snugly goes right in to any direction you want.
Thanks AZVipor (keith) without your detailed description on how to do this job it would of not happened anytime soon... the 255LN easily bolted right in place. I like the cruise control to set it at any speed desired. I got a painters lid gasket new in home depot which looks like a 1/4" rubber tube insert but cannot close the lid with it in place.(I don't detect any leaking without it) hopefully an old painters lid gasket is flat?
Well built item for sure.

That's my 7 year old grandson who recently found his first picker and it was bigger than anything i ever found.... Way to go Nathan :icon_sunny:

IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2954.JPG

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a painters lid gasket new in home depot which looks like a 1/4" rubber tube insert but cannot close the lid with it in place.(I don't detect any leaking without it) hopefully an old painters lid gasket is flat?
Well built item for sure.

My O-ring is slightly flat but with the O-ring installed the lid will not twist to the locking position nor does it need too. This makes it much easier to remove the lid in the field if your working in a hole and the locking mechanism is on the other side of the bucket. All I need to do is twist the blower head and remove and dump the dirt into another bucket.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Bingo! That is what mine does. I can get it 3/4 of the way to the locking position and was going to use it like that but now hearing you do the same thing makes me feel better. What a really good strong design you came up with and a few that where at the house where really impressed. The 2" compression fitting was a big hit too.
I'm going to the Gold Show in Mesa Saturday if you are going to be anywhere around?
Joe

P.S. I'm really amazed! This post has over 6400 views. I got a feeling a lot of crack vacs are being built with your design

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my 7 year old grandson who recently found his first picker and it was bigger than anything i ever found.... Way to go Nathan :icon_sunny:

View attachment 929270

Congrats to Nathan :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Also good lookin' Zuki.
I just bought one for myself for Christmas and can hardly wait to hit the high desert with it in June.

zuki3.jpg

GG~

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a nice looking clean zuk..... you will be shocked where that thing can go ( they are like a mountain goat) and they are getting rarer and rarer every day..... I go all day out in the desert all day for about $5 gas (1.3 4cyl)..... with the stock transfer case and larger tires it's not so good on the interstate though and can rarely get it into 5th gear.

IMG_2901 (Large).JPG

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have updated the first post of this thread to reflect on the entire build so others do not need to wonder through the pages. Joe hopefully we will cya at the gold show... Keith

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All..... Went out and used the vac in some crevices of bedrock and it really does a good job....very happy with your plans.

I was at the gold show saturday and even bill southerns talk but not knowing what anyone looks like it was impossible to figure out who was who but i really enjoyed that show and even found the tray that i needed for my Desert fox spiral wheel which i couldn't find elsewhere.
Joe

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi All..... Went out and used the vac in some crevices of bedrock and it really does a good job....very happy with your plans.

I was at the gold show saturday and even bill southerns talk but not knowing what anyone looks like it was impossible to figure out who was who but i really enjoyed that show and even found the tray that i needed for my Desert fox spiral wheel which i couldn't find elsewhere.
Joe

Joe you may want to make a 1/2" x 18" PVC extensions using an adapter to the end of the hose. Heat the extension and squish the PVC pipe the entire length so that you can get into crevices with the suction or you can make even smaller extension using 1/2" copper tubing and squish it. You can make a host of different suction nozzles to get into had to get crevices.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
That's going to be fun to make different size tips to fit in the crevices...... I have shop vac reducers but will look around HD for other options.
I got a few good compliments on the vac build :)

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I love it and added to my favorites for future reference when I have time to build one! Thanks Viper...simply awesome!

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob did you build you a vac?

Not yet! Sorry for disappearing and in a perfect world I'd be building prospecting equipment in the winter, but...I seem to be out of sync. Getting started on it again and picking up where I left off with my trommel. I've also seen a few sort of ingenious designs for vacs that feed directly and continuously into a drywasher. Thanks for your DIY equipment threads, they are very useful.

Bob

jimray1963

Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the plans. They were easy to follow and I was able to complete construction within 3 1/2 hours. Next time I should be able to do it under 2 hours. I did not file down the tabs on the blower, instead I bought two square sheets of 1/8" plumbers gasket at Lowes and cut a 4" hole in the middle to lift the blower off the lid while providing an air tight seal. Works like a charm! I probably have $250 into this machine. Thanks again!!!

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZviper, I am getting the supplies ready to build this vac but I have question. Have you seen the Gamma lids for the buckets and do you know if I can use that for this project?

Thanks

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZviper, I am getting the supplies ready to build this vac but I have question. Have you seen the Gamma lids for the buckets and do you know if I can use that for this project?

Thanks

No those lids will not work. The bucket I used is the same bucket used in the pool supply industry to contain chlorine tablets. Not sure if the bucket is the 6 gallon bucket though that hold the chlorine.

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZviper, Thanks I just got a bucket from my pool guy $2.00. I don't know if its going to work for sure this one is square but does have a screw on top but the plastic feels much thicker. I will have to take some measurements once I get the blower to see if the lid is wide enough. Thank again

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZviper, Thanks I just got a bucket from my pool guy $2.00. I don't know if its going to work for sure this one is square but does have a screw on top but the plastic feels much thicker. I will have to take some measurements once I get the blower to see if the lid is wide enough. Thank again

You really need to be using a 6 gallon bucket, why? You need to maintain a good 6 inches from the suction intake where the hose is connected to where the suction is on the blower motor. Using a 5 gallon bucket does not leave much room for the dirt to build up before the dirt is even with the intake. Once this has taken place you no longer have any suction. Just something to think about...

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks this is definitely 6 gallons. but I think the lid circumference might be to small.

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AzVIPER, Thank you for the post!!! I just finished my build a coulpe of weeks ago! Your plans are awesome!! Very easy to follow and build and it works great this vac really has some suction! It cost me approx. $235.00 or so with everything being brand new. I got the PB255LN at a local lawn and garden shop (they had it in stock same price as home depot online) ordered the bucket w/lid and the gasket. other parts walmart & home depot. It's alittle heavy to carry into where I work (very steep) but with a pack board it's easy. Instead of cutting down the finger guard I put some 1/4" screen across the inside bulkhead works great, 3 screws to take blower off and 3 screws to put the guard back on to use blower at home. I'd recomend this build to anyone looking for a blower vac. just awesome THANKS AGAIN FOR THE POST!!!! (sorry not smart enough to post pics) looks just like yours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread