Drywashing The Mojave

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to set up lanterns and work from about 10 pm until sunrise. Awful peaceful.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to be moving up to the Kingman area pretty soon and am going to have to invest in some dry processing gear. It was bad enough hauling water in Greaterville but almost out of the question to do wet processing in that area.

I'm already doing my research into the area and since Kingman is the county seat for Mohave County, I'll be a lot closer to the recorders office for further research and filing once I find something worth claiming. I'm looking at a place to buy and my research shows over 75 gold mines within 25 miles of it. It comes with 30 acres and has a couple of washes that run across the property. I might not have to go far at all from the house to be finding gold. :)

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to set up lanterns and work from about 10 pm until sunrise. Awful peaceful.

The Moon Balloon would work nicely. We use these at work. The helium filled balloon is tethered off at about 75 feet above the ground in three pionts so the balloon stays over the given area. They also make telescoping pole mounted balloons that go about 30 feet high. Each balloon has four 1000 watt bulbs in a 5 foot diameter highly reflective balloon. Now you know why they are called Moon Balloons. We have three of these balloons and can light up a huge area. Beware they are not cheap.

Moon Balloon.jpg

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone.
Brand new member here and it's my 1st post. I'm also NEW to prospecting & am heavily interested. I just bought a GoldBuddy pony & a roof rack for the jeep. Shovels, pick, pans, etc.... I live in near El Cajon CA (east San Diego Co) & am, (for lack of a better word) completely ignorant as to where to go w/o stepping on toes. I have considered getting a GPAA membership but not sure if it's really worth it. I would prefer/enjoy prospecting solo or in small groups. I have a very capable, reliable desert/rockcrawling jeep and want to get where the weekend warrier/rv/suv's cant go to. I also understand that going alone isnt smart.
I have a few questions. 1.) Are there better clubs to join other than the GPAA to get info about claims? I would like to prospect on a claim legally, or prospect on non-claimed areas... I don't want to infringe on others but have no idea if I would be ... The worst thing for me would be to be drywashing and have some one come up and start yelling at me or worse.
2.) Is it worth the 300 or so mile drive to get to Mojave Desert from where I live? Basically the 15 and the 8 in SD? Or would it be better prospecting out toward Az? I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Valley Prospectors and O.C 49ers. Also Az has some excellent clubs: The Road Runners. There are S.D. clubs as well . Google or go to a local prospecting shop and inquire. G/L

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
La Mesa? Man I haven't been there since I went to Coleman College waaayyyy back when. There are a few members on the forum from your general area. You might want to drop Drywallman a note and get some local info from him. Dan is a good guy and have been working areas up near Alpine as well as near Ramona. (my old stomping grounds) Tell him I sent ya.

TMRoberts

Aug 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, We are moving to the Barstow area I the coming months and could not be more excited about looking for gold. Finding a ton of gold would be great but I am more excited about establishing a life long enjoyment of the outdoors in my two young children. We would greatly appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer on sites, tools (we do have a medal detector and panning equipment), clubs, rules and anything else you think might help.

Feel free to add to the thread or private message us.

Thanks

Chris

TMRoberts

Aug 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We actually live on FT Campbell and find a ton of these. Let me know what angle or type of pictures might help you make a better guess. We are also very interested I these darn round rocks (not metallic).

Thanks

Chris

image-333445616.jpg

Mike Gibson

Jun 7, 2014
San Diego, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.
Brand new member here and it's my 1st post. I'm also NEW to prospecting & am heavily interested. I just bought a GoldBuddy pony & a roof rack for the jeep. Shovels, pick, pans, etc.... I live in near El Cajon CA (east San Diego Co) & am, (for lack of a better word) completely ignorant as to where to go w/o stepping on toes. I have considered getting a GPAA membership but not sure if it's really worth it. I would prefer/enjoy prospecting solo or in small groups. I have a very capable, reliable desert/rockcrawling jeep and want to get where the weekend warrier/rv/suv's cant go to. I also understand that going alone isnt smart.
I have a few questions. 1.) Are there better clubs to join other than the GPAA to get info about claims? I would like to prospect on a claim legally, or prospect on non-claimed areas... I don't want to infringe on others but have no idea if I would be ... The worst thing for me would be to be drywashing and have some one come up and start yelling at me or worse.
2.) Is it worth the 300 or so mile drive to get to Mojave Desert from where I live? Basically the 15 and the 8 in SD? Or would it be better prospecting out toward Az? I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

There are 2 really good clubs here in San Diego. SPMA who has meetings every third Tuesday of the month in Lemon Grove. (www.spma-gold.org) Also you have Treasure Seekers of San Diego who have meetings every first Wednesday in Escondido. (http://treasureseekersofsandiego.org) Good Luck and hope to see you at one of the local meetings.

OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, We are moving to the Barstow area I the coming months and could not be more excited about looking for gold. Finding a ton of gold would be great but I am more excited about establishing a life long enjoyment of the outdoors in my two young children. We would greatly appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer on sites, tools (we do have a medal detector and panning equipment), clubs, rules and anything else you think might help.

Feel free to add to the thread or private message us.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Barstow is a great, central location to desert prospecting. My old gold club, Rt66goldminers has 2 claims by the Ord mountains. Honestly, unless you are a very seasoned prospector with serious gear, you're better off agate hunting. There are fantastic agates to be found near Barstow. Calico mountains are littered with great specimens. You may get lucky and find some silver. The Cady mountains are legendary for agates. Check your calendar for Gem-o-rama up in Trona every October. World class Hanksite and Halite specimens.

Happy Hunting.

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out to mojave this weekend with my dad for a half day Drywashing. Still damp from the rain but productive.

First Test sample

Cleanup

Socal85toyota

Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
SD2200
GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice stuff , I need to get it there next week for sure to scratch a itch . hope the dirt will be dry by then .

Thats exactly why we went out this weekend...had been over a year since we've done any diggin at all. Good luck!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so.LOL.Remember to take precautions for Valley Fever. No joke, it can kick your @##. G/L

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread