LR2000 Help

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on youtube, don't know if it will help at all...I don't even know what LR2000 is........

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some good information and advice on this thread! :icon_thumleft:

I map thousands of claims each year so I spend a lot of time on the LR2000 as part of that process. My wife and I get asked this same question a lot so she made up a visual tutorial to help folks along.

You can find that tutorial on our free information site Ripple along with a lot of other prospecting information and free downloads.

You can find the LR2000 tutorial HERE.

A few words of caution about the LR2000 and all those online Google Earth programs that use the data from there.

1. The LR2000 only lists claims to the nearest quarter section. It does not map claims at all. A 20 acre claim will be seen as the entire 160 acre quarter section when using the LR2000 information. You are missing a lot of potential gold land by relying on information that does not include the actual extent and boundaries of the claims.

2. The LR2000 is notoriously out of date. The BLM is months behind on their records this year. They are still posting transactions from last September and in several States have not even started on last years filings in several classes of claims.

3. A mineral claim locator has up to 90 days to file their claim with the BLM. In most States they also have 90 days to record their claim with the County Recorder (both are required to make a valid claim). That means that even if you have the very most current recorded information you could still be quarter of a year out of date when doing your research.

The LR2000 is an important first step in determining where there may be land open to prospecting and claim. The online tools are a great help in visualizing that free information. Either one is only the first step in determining where you can freely prospect.

Under the laws it is your duty to do your due diligence (research) before entering public lands to prospect. In most States mineral trespass is a felony. As helpful as the LR2000 and the programs that use it are they aren't going to protect you from an angry claim owner or a trial for mineral trespass.

If you would like to learn more about how to determine the actual status of public lands before prospecting them I will be happy to answer any questions as I have the time.

Knowledgeable prospectors get more gold and knowing the ins and outs of the status of good gold ground can lead you to some real treasures in the form of unclaimed land in the most surprising places. 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread