Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Meeting another person in the morning around here to check out a wash and some rocks.
Here from Tnet.

OP
OP
Joe Z

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you Crushing Rocks or Crevicing?
Enjoy :)

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning and crushing.
A hill with nothing but white quartz all over it.
Some of them are as large as basketballs laying on top of the ground.Found nothing but lots of quartz.My md wont pick up small gold I think.
Have to try and buy some small pickers from ebay so I know how small I can pick up with my md,and what it sounds like.

OP
OP
Joe Z

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a .114g test piece and we can compare what the difference is between yours and mine for a comparison as i would be interested

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would that be .114 of a grain,or gram?
I would have to look it up,but how many grains in a gram?
Ok,1 gram is 15.4 grains.
I think my detector will pick up around 1/2 gram maybe.
It is the Groundhog running at 15khz.
7 inch coil

I need to ask around some more because I want a new detector.I have asked some of the more or best guys on here,but zI need to ask them a few more questions.
For instance, I see you have a GB2.Now it runs at 71khz. Now I know why it finds small gold.
Whites GMT-48khz.I can see this one easily.
But for instance, Tesoro LST,17.8khz, atgold-18khz, and at pro-15khz. GB-19khz, GB pro-19khz, Now since mine runs at 15khz,why would the machines I listed,be that much better,since they are only 2-4 khz higher than mine.
Or is it because they are newer technology.
The Garrett gold scorpian so called is the same frequency as mine,with the same controls.
Just made to look like the newer models and looks.

I need to buy some grains, and then add them to my bottle.I have a gold bottle with flakes in it.Will have to see if my scale will even pick it up.
Or the gold up.I bought a jewelers scale from ebay.

OP
OP
Joe Z

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Would that be .114 of a grain,or gram?
.114 grams which is just over 1/10 gram and i can pick it up at about 2"-3" at 1" it's really loud, I could probably pick up much smaller the way this one sounds off but i don't have smaller

I would have to look it up,but how many grains in a gram?
Ok,1 gram is 15.4 grains.
I think my detector will pick up around 1/2 gram maybe.
It is the Groundhog running at 15khz.
7 inch coil

I need to ask around some more because I want a new detector.I have asked some of the more or best guys on here,but zI need to ask them a few more questions.
For instance, I see you have a GB2 .Now it runs at 71khz. Now I know why it finds small gold.
Whites GMT-48khz.I can see this one easily.
My two favorites are the GB2 with the 6 inch coil(not the pro)there is no LED screen and you go by sound only on the GB2 and the Whites GMT which has a LED screen and a grab ground balance feature..... The GMT will go deeper as i read the book "Zip Zip" by Larry Sallee and he only uses the GMT..... the gold bug2 you manually ground balance constantly and to be truthful i don't want to did deep as i'm too old to did up a boot tac 12" down..... my optimum is one of each until the Minelab PI machines come way down in price and weight. I hopefully will never sell my gold bug2 as it was way better than my minelab xterra 705 gold which couldn't even pick up my test nugget..... scour craigs list for a deal on either one when your ready as you can't go wrong with either one but don't forget you need a good set of headphones and there's about four that are tops

But for instance, Tesoro LST,17.8khz, atgold-18khz, and at pro-15khz. GB-19khz, GB pro-19khz, Now since mine runs at 15khz,why would the machines I listed,be that much better,since they are only 2-4 khz higher than mine.
Or is it because they are newer technology.
I don't think they are that much better because of the kHz they are multi purpose machines and if that's what you want get a GB Pro because it is a really good all purpose mostly gold machine
The Garrett gold scorpian so called is the same frequency as mine,with the same controls.
Just made to look like the newer models and looks.
I sold my Xterra 705 because the only place to use them around here is in kids parks and the mothers look at me awfully strange...... I want to be out in the desert

I need to buy some grains, and then add them to my bottle.I have a gold bottle with flakes in it.Will have to see if my scale will even pick it up.
Or the gold up.I bought a jewelers scale from ebay.
Joe

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mines is the Groundhog(Garrett).
15khz.all purpose VLF/TR.
Manual and auto ground balance.
Discrim also.

Have been searching craigslist.
I really need a gold machine since I have my Garrett.I also have the large 10.5 inch coil.

OP
OP
Joe Z

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Roadrunner,
I know nothing about the garret groundhog so can't comment and may be a good machine for all i know. Leaving in a few hours for california so may not be able to get back to you til mon or tue
Joe

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.Talk later.Sent you a PM>

Hi Roadrunner, i had that Garrett ADS about 1980, and it will pick up small nuggets. I sold it long time ago and will buy anther if i find one. I liked the Non Motion action on it vs the new motion machines. It also hit real good on black sand, so if in a gold area just let it whine when it hits large pocket of black sand and you can pan out the small gold there. You can also buy a two box attachment for it, but hard to find.

I am presently living in the Philippines and get back to AZ about October for a few months.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Roadrunner, i had that Garrett ADS about 1980, and it will pick up small nuggets. I sold it long time ago and will buy anther if i find one. I liked the Non Motion action on it vs the new motion machines. It also hit real good on black sand, so if in a gold area just let it whine when it hits large pocket of black sand and you can pan out the small gold there. You can also buy a two box attachment for it, but hard to find.

I am presently living in the Philippines and get back to AZ about October for a few months.
Thanks for stopping by and replying.
I have tried it over a handful of black sands that I removed from my sluice,but when I swept the coil over it,it made no difference in sound.
I will try again.
Do you remember how you did it?
What settings?

Mine is the Groundhog, ADS,did you have that one,or the Master Hunter ones where the knobs are on the side. They are 5khz. I never knew a 2 box would fit a Groundhog.
Mine are on top,under the handle.
Ebay has had 2-3 on sale for $100 but they where for the Master Hunter series, or the Garrett 2500.

Which one of these 2 below.

A-
Groundhog.jpg

B-
Master Hunter ADS.jpg

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same color quartz, and looks similar in rock composition.
But there's was pure white,with only gold color on it.
I mean pure white like a snowball.
Cant give out much more info without possibly exposing the spot.
Will call you some time so you can start looking.

Must be the same area. Or about
They said there where no claims,or anything.
Don't forget about me if you guys get out swinging!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My truck is broke down so nothing for me for a while.
I need to get something and then maybe you and I,and Joe or whom ever you want can go to that site of yours and see what we can find since we all have different detectors.

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just purchased a Keene DW12V Puffer Drywasher and really don't want to lug a full size car battery around so those in the know what battery do you use to get at least 6 hours running time?_____.
would like to have a sealed battery in case of accidental tip over.
thanks for any help.
Joe

Joe, this is what I use on my keene DW212V:
Amazon.com: 12V 10AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery for YUEYANG ENDURING CB10-12: Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8DVS8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought 2 batteries and the charger. The batteries are 8 pounds each. I haven't had a chance to see how long they will last on one charge. I'm thinking they should last a full day.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread