P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slnugget, the cut is to the back of the hopper.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure would love to see a pic of this mod.

magooone2

Dec 19, 2013
Pueblo, Co.
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro
gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevin, not sure if you know Urbanminer a CGC member here in Colorado but he has an open invite twice a year to go to New Mexico to dry wash. I started going with them about 4 yrs ago and I really learned a lot about dry washing. I really fell in love with dry washing because it is simple to set up and go. If you can ever make the trip you need to go you won't be sorry there is just a few of us that go but you will learn a lot about dry washing by the weeks end. The guys that go are super to be with. I'm in Pueblo by the way. Ron

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Ron, nice to "meet" you! Yes, Marc is a great guy, I've dug with him a few times over the last few years and have dreamed of going Drywashing on one of his trips. That WOULD be a great way to learn fast...better start talking it up with my wife now! Thanks for the idea and maybe we will get to meet in person this way :)

Update: wife says its a great idea!

Last edited:

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the my dry washer I just turn it on and reinsert the tray. Once reinserted And blower on i throw in some of the material I've already ran to get the air pressure back in sync. I was told when reinserting the tray it should hover over the Recover box. Doing this it blows out any rocks in the crevices I usually don't worry about the material under the fan, but I know there is the potential for there to be gold there. I used to but never found any gold, I'm sure some of u guys have your own take on this however.

Last edited:

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Personally I do not see a need to have any levels attached to the drywasher... Again just a visual will tell the user what needs to be done.

Would you recommend leveling at least the hopper before you start so its close to level or is the sluice box more important to level before you start.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would you recommend leveling at least the hopper before you start so its close to level or is the sluice box more important to level before you start.
Leveling the hopper or the box will give you a starting point, but the true indication is how the dirt and rock is flowing out of the box. You want a nice even flow across the entire width of the box. Adjust the entire DW side to side to arrive at an even flow. Do not worry whether the hopper or box is level using a level. It's all about looking at the flow out the end of the box. Also you want the box angled downward at about 15 degrees and enough air speed to get the dirt and rocks flowing. To much air speed and you blow gold out.

Last edited:

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Leveling the hopper or the box will give you a starting point, but the true indication is how the dirt and rock is flowing out of the box. You want a nice even flow across the entire width of the box. Adjust the entire DW side to side to arrive at an even flow. Do not worry whether the hopper or box is level using a level. It's all about looking at the flow out the end of the box. Also you want the box angled downward at about 15 degrees and enough air speed to get the dirt and rocks flowing. To much air speed and you blow gold out.

Thanks for the information. I did what you said and I was able to get nice even flow over the sluice box. Now I just need to find a good spot to work on my claim before I have to head back to home to the cold Midwest. Any tips on where to look on a desert wash? The wash I am working is cut through a mountain. We are finding gold but always looking for a better spot.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I could be much help cause I have no clue where your at, your area, etc. I would sample as much as you can then work your best areas that gave you the best recovery.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF0229.JPG DSCF0230.JPG

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pic #1 the adjustable legs, #2 is the frame mod, #3 is the raised expanded metal in the first four riffles, #4 is the back of the hopper and the widened "v" to 3/4". finally figured how to post pic's.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to get extended life out of your engine try to keep it out of the dust coming from the dw. you may have to move it many times during a run.
hope these mod's help.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reading back thru this thread I just realized I never mentioned that I did get to spend a day Drywashing on the bench placer I had hoped to hit. :)

A friend and I ran 7 16 gallon samples from various spots in the area. Each set of cons was panned separately. We found at least a little gold in every sample and two samples were clearly better...spots to hit next summer!

PS we got a heavy rain that night so it was the end of Drywashing season...

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Thread!!

I've been thinking of a dry washer now for some time.
The family does a lot of camping in Mojave during the winter. And with the drought, everything is plenty dry.

So this is nice info to keep in mind when looking at DW's.

Is there nothing else out there for processing dry material?
Is the current Dry Washer system basically the same it has been with no major changes?
Just curious. As I look at them with the noise and dust, I think "there's got to be a better way"..

Any way, great thread and will check up on this often.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say the same thing. there has to be a better way. dw systems really haven't changed much for years.
their are basically two types, puffers or blower type, both work well.
dry washers are perfect for dry climates where water is hard to come by or to expensive to haul to the prospecting site.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

I was able to find an old Keene 151 for sale.
It's got to be from the 80's as it has no adjustable flow gate in the Hopper.
No Fan with Vibration bar and the riffles and tray look shot.

I got it for $150 so for the Stand, nice Aluminum hopper and a recovery box that is open for changes, I figure It was worth that.
It's going to be my Frankenstein DW of sorts. I like some of the ideas I have read here.

First, I want to ad a Vibration device to the lower box, but have it spinning in a vertical path vs. horizontal.
Maybe even two motor's in sync, but I think 1 should suffice.

Second, I want to try and dissipate Air better through out the lower box.
Maybe some light weight styrene plumbing to distribute and get a nice even flow of air through out the whole tray system.

The Riffle system I think can be better too.
I've read that DW's rely on a static charge to help capture the gold.
So I was thinking using 1/8" Polyethylene sheet and create a new Riffle system.
Maybe increasing the amount of riffles but alternating sizes as it goes down.
Maybe adding a little "cup" as it were to the riffles to help capture the shiny.

Also regarding Static, I was thinking about how can MORE static charge be created?
Maybe adding a little Electrical device (capacitor?) that is ran by a 9V battery, that increases the static charge to the Riffle tray itself?

Has anyone used springs between the upper and lower box?
It might allow the lower box to move a little more freely.

Maybe a Metal detection device (Bar) in the Hopper where larger stuff runs off?
A signal goes of if a big nugget goes by that was too big to go down the sluice.
Heck one at your tailing end too.

Boy for that matter, your riffles could have a small detection system and an LED goes of on that particular riffle that caught some gold.
Wouldn't take much to do that really...Sorry, just thinking outside the Box I guess.

Anyway,
I was excited to get this and wanted to share.
Looking forward to bringing this thing alive.
All suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread