Journey with the 15 lb Whippet Drywasher

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:icon_thumright:

Note to myself: Why didn't I think of that as a retirement present to myself?:laughing7:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting a whippet Mr. Kevin.
Looking forward to reading about your experiences with it.

I'm really excited to get out there with my newly acquired unit.

G

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:icon_thumright:

Note to myself: Why didn't I think of that as a retirement present to myself?:laughing7:

The amazing part is that it's my retirement present from the office! My boss is the best!!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm so excited to get my new Whippet drywasher in a few weeks!!

Woohooo! I love mine! It's amazing how something so light can be so rugged. Congrats on the new machine!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Woohooo! I love mine! It's amazing how something so light can be so rugged. Congrats on the new machine!

Great to hear. Any tips on how to best run it or maintain it? Any recommendations on accessories to get or skip?

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to hear. Any tips on how to best run it or maintain it? Any recommendations on accessories to get or skip?

As far as maintenance goes, there isn't much. The spring lock buttons accumulate dust and dirt after a while so they need to be lubed occasionally to operate smoothly. I believe it comes with lubricant and this is mentioned in the owners manual. I like to use small bungee cords to secure the battery because I always end up picking the whole thing up and moving it at some point and the battery will fall out and stress/snap the connectors on the harness. They come with a Velcro retention system now, but I haven't used it without bungees yet. I bought the first Whippet and Mark has been gracious enough to send me parts for any revisions he has made throughout the year.

I have been running the riffle tray as flat as I can lately since the ground always seems to be more damp than I'd like. I also keep the gate under the hopper open just enough to keep it flowing without clogging. I also like to "prime" the riffle tray before running material. Basically, have some sand or something covering the screen before you turn it on.

Accessories I consider essential are the solar charger, wall charger, lightweight shovel, and cons bag. I got 2-3 hours of run time out of my Gold Cube in the field last Sunday, using that solar charger in bright sun, without stressing that <2 lb battery. I do have the Burpee pick too. It's very light. If I'm hiking far, it goes with me. The cargo bags look like something I would use all the time, but I don't own them yet.

If you have any other questions, let me know! It's been too wet to drywash here lately so I may be forgetting some things. I can't say enough good things about Mark, the owner/designer/builder. He has helped me in all areas of prospecting and I now consider him a mentor and a friend.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is really great info, thanks so much!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great little machine but the price..............Ouch!

Agree $1,350 plus shipping ouch! Can get a Keene 151 for $1,500 and it will process a lot more dirt. Can't really lug it down a cliff though, but who wants to do that anyway?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I've lugged a 151 to my dig site and I can tell you it's no fun! The Whippet will mean I don't need multiple trips and a friend's help to get my gear to the honey hole :)

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really lug it down a cliff though, but who wants to do that anyway?

:hello: I do, I do!! :laughing7:
I have a few tight little gulches scoped out that are not easy to get to.
And this little machine is perfect for that.
I do not have a Whippet, but mine is pack-able and almost as light.
Really looking forward to putting her to use.

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Kevin,

Did you order the Solar panels etc. with your unit?
I do not have a battery/charging system yet for my Thompson and the Whippet set up looks very nice and I'm sure will work perfectly.

Please keep us all posted as to when you get it and your thoughts on it once you do.

Cheers
G

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Kevin,

Did you order the Solar panels etc. with your unit?
I do not have a battery/charging system yet for my Thompson and the Whippet set up looks very nice and I'm sure will work perfectly.

Please keep us all posted as to when you get it and your thoughts on it once you do.

Cheers
G

Sadly the solar panels were not in the budget (this is a retirement gift from my company...sometimes it pays to stick around for decades!) but they are on my dream list for sure. I did get the higher capacity battery since that only adds a few ounces/$ to the totals.

I will definitely post updates including a few unboxing pics. Of course I'm looking forward to the first pics of it in use too. The machine's arrival may inspire a desert trip. Otherwise it'll have to wait for summer in the Colorado Rockies!

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking forward to hearing about your field experiences with the Whippet Kevin as I've always appreciated the way you evaluate equipment.

Congratulations on your retirement, I too am retiring this year (fire department) and know the feeling; "exciting yet just a little scary" but very much looking forward to the change in lifestyle.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats!!! I have about 2,180 shifts left.

Just a bit over 20 years huh?......it'l go by quicker than you think(especially at rank of engineer)

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a bit over 20 years huh?......it'l go by quicker than you think(especially at rank of engineer)
About like that. 19-ish. Engineer looks like the best job in the world [emoji106]🏼

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About like that. 19-ish. Engineer looks like the best job in the world [emoji106]��

Man is it ever and it didn't take long for me to realize this is where I'm staying. My first 10 years on I was a medic.....I'm still recovering

Good to see other fireman around here, send me a PM anytime........Rob

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 2007, I bought 25 drywashers from Bret Chilcott at AZ Desert Gold, for our gold prospecting school in Arizona. The units are all aluminum and steel, Open up and fold up quickly, and only weigh 13-pounds. The vac motor and tubing is all contained in a five-gallon bucket (total 6-pounds) that doubles as a crack and crevice vacuum. Last year when I retired, all 25 of them were still in great shape, and when I sold them I got back 68% of their original retail cost ($495.00 complete)!

Modern materials are great - but expensive! What you must have in a drywasher is TOUGHNESS and RELIABILITY. I backpacked the little Chilcott drywasher and Vacuum into the Bradshaw Mountains quite a bit with no problems at all. Spend your money ONCE. This is not an ad for Bret, he has stopped manufacturing except for large custom jobs, it is a warning to those greenhorns that read descriptions that are too good to be true and spend their money foolishly on the "IDEA" of "New and Improved." New is not always improved.

SHOP AROUND!

Attachments

• Phoenix31212 202.jpg
    Phoenix31212 202.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 236
  • Phoenix31212 214.jpg
    Phoenix31212 214.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • Phoenix31212 220.jpg
    Phoenix31212 220.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
  • hqdefault.jpg