Packable shovel for drywashing

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working on my "setup" for drywashing.
Collecting gear and itemizing and such.
This is a pack-able set up transported by backpack or by Bicycle/trailer.
One item on the list is a light weight shovel that breaks down to stow, but can handle a many full load of dry dirt. Looking at Whippets Shovel that they sell, I started looking around for similar. I found this guy and ordered one...

http://www.amazon.com/AAA-4005-Aluminum-Utility-Shovel/dp/B004O5B6XM

Aluminum blade and shaft with resin handle etc.
This would not be breaking into hard clumped dirt and rock but more for moving the
material after it has been broken down with pick etc. or pre-classified into hopper.

Worth a try. Couldn't make one this cheap if I wanted to.

Anyone break one of these already? :laughing7:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's what I do - (must have access to lumber at location) pack normal #2 shovel head without handle, 1 good screw, screwdriver, camp axe or saw ---> fashion suitable shaft on site and dispose afterwards.

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to drywash, you will need a real shovel. I would break that thing in ten minutes

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah probably right.
it really is a snow shovel.
So I burned $30 bucks :BangHead:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
last few time I have left the shovel at home and just used a one gallon bucket and a glove as one.
Small hand pick - gloves - (2) two gallon and (1) one gallon bucket and hang the drywasher over my shoulder
with a strap. Keeps it real simple and light as this is a hike in spot.

S

stefen

I've used a similiar shovel for cleaning my horse stalls and aisles...aluminum doesn't hold up to abuse...

A number if years ago in found a regulation GI folding shovel at a Army-Navy surplus store...still in working condition...

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GI shovel works to sample or high grade spots, #2 for everything else.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As long as the benefits outweigh the costs, it will be fine. I've got the Whippet shovel and it works very well. The price difference may be in the grade of aluminum used. As long as you break up the material with a pick instead of using the shovel, it won't slow you down much. It's much stronger than I anticipated (the Whippet shovel). This is after about 30-40 hours of drywashing. I use a full-size steel shovel if I'm not hiking in.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457557571.301703.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457557592.141833.jpg

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used a similiar shovel for cleaning my horse stalls and aisles...aluminum doesn't hold up to abuse...

A number if years ago in found a regulation GI folding shovel at a Army-Navy surplus store...still in working condition...

I've had once since the seventies , bought for trapping.
It has seen hard use and still functions.
The collar is bound again, truck bed riding too long a spell once more , but allows a pick type use in earth when used properly.
Not feather light but dependable.
Chopped ice a while back to free a stuck delivery truck.
Later to chop ice to drain road.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the benefits outweigh the costs, it will be fine. I've got the Whippet shovel and it works very well. The price difference may be in the grade of aluminum used. As long as you break up the material with a pick instead of using the shovel, it won't doesn't slow you down much. It's much stronger than I anticipated (the Whippet shovel). This is after about 30-40 hours of drywashing. I use a full-size steel shovel if I'm not hiking in.
View attachment 1283384 View attachment 1283385

That was my exact thoughts in purchasing Hamfist- material already broken up and loose.
I got mine yesterday and took it outside and started shoveling stuff.
3/4 crushed gravel, hard clay type....it was working!!
I'll put her to use an see.

I like the comparison of top edge wear :laughing7:

The Kicker is finding this same model on Amazon (or somewhere) for darn near $10.00!!!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If you are packing in, any folding shovel you are comfortable with. The sturdier it is, the better it is. I drive in and have several d-handle shovels packed in the truck.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If I'm down in a hole digging materials out a "D" handle shovel is my tool of choice because the shorter shaft doesn't get in my way. BUT.... If feeding a fairly tall drywasher the short handle would make it more work than it should be. I don't know about you young guys but I have learned that the idea is to work smarter...not harder!

lchavezmisc

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the OP shovel shown. Picked it up at cal ranch and it works just fine for dry washer duty, but I wouldn't dig with it. My pick does all the hard work anyways. Now for digging, I have one of those folding Glock shovels and it has held up to some brutal abuse.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 of them, great thing about these, not only save on space, but weight too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread