DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2012

T

TreasureTales

Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
I like my thread the way it is . Growing and growing... Don't need a separate category.. just keep this 1 going. I have a lot more to add if needed and so do a lot more people. Instead of talking about it Post something you found in the trash.

Thanks ALL for your input..... Bob

whitesid said:
i asked pbk about making a new forum. does anyone else have and input on this??

Gee, a little overly possessive don't ya think? A whole new and separate category would actually be a compliment to you, IMHO.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/

Don't care myself either way. Just love hearing all these great stories. Where I'm from we don't have kerbside pickup etc. I always keep an eye out round and about anyway. I'm also a pawnbroker so I get some good deals ;)

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
I like my thread the way it is . Growing and growing... Don't need a separate category.. just keep this 1 going. I have a lot more to add if needed and so do a lot more people. Instead of talking about it Post something you found in the trash.

Thanks ALL for your input..... Bob

whitesid said:

Gee, a little overly possessive don't ya think? A whole new and separate category would actually be a compliment to you, IMHO.
A new category would be nice. Overly possessive no. I would like to see how loooong this thread can grow. Thats all...............So keep adding to it TreasureTales....

T

TreasureTales

Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

Well, since you put it that way, I'll add another dumpster post. Certainly not as exciting as most, but I enjoyed evrery minute of these events:

I used to work for a large company and about every 5 years the management would have somebody clean out the storage containers. They were told to dump everything that hadn't been needed in the past 5 years, to make room for newer and more up-to-date materials and tools. This was like throwing chum to the sharks because some of us would hang around at lunch waiting for the dumpster to fill up before we started "recycling" stuff. The management didn't care, as long as nothing was intentionally thrown into the dumpster that should not have been discarded - like the petty cash box or a new chainsaw. So on one of these cleanouts we went to the dumpster and found perfectly good, but dirty, waste baskets (have one in my bathroom right now), lots of notepads with old phone numbers - which are handy for me and I don't care if the number isn't mine - nobody but me sees the notepads, a whole box of 3-ring binders with the old company logo on the front - great for neatly filing treasure articles, an old tin Farmer Brothers Coffee can - which sits on my kitchen cupboard shelf right now, an executive notebook with a built-in calculator, an older leather brief case (the right size for my laptop), and a whole box of ballpoint pens with the old logo.

Another time the company did a cleanup, I was working near San Francisco and got a couple of old enamal signs with the old company logo and colors on them. I sold those to antique stores. Also a nice little AC/DC clock-radio that just needed some cleaning and a new battery. The cord was in perfect condition, so it's currently in my home office - keeping correct time and playing music whenever I want it to. Very nice, compact little unit. And finally, I got a company belt buckle that was brass and had a small flaw (weird protrusion) on the side. I took a metal file and filed down the protrusion and sold the belt buckle to a retired guy who used to work for the company and who collected company belt buckles. Made him happy and me happy - a win-win arrangement for all parties involved.

What did the company get out of this? Less stuff to fill the dumpster/fewer dump runs = less expense. Believe me, the company was trying to set a good example for recycling at the time, so our dump diving was welcomed as long as we didn't make a mess - which we did not do. I don't miss my job, but I miss those dumpster diving days!

Oh, almost forgot the biggest grab I ever made from one of those dumpsters - it was a somewhat battered Schwinn bicycle. It had two flat tires and needed a wash. The yardman used to ride the bike from his office to the far reaches of the yard to deliver messages to people, etc. His boss bought him an electric golf cart so the bicycle was no longer needed. I took it, as it was, to the local Schwinn dealer and he bought it for $30.00 because he said it was a "classic." He fixed it up and it is hanging on the wall in his shop at this very moment.

More stories to come.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks T T ;) ;) ;)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whitesid said:

I'm with you bud, I'd also like to see a new forum for dumpster diving. It is starting to get pretty long for one person to sit and read all in one sitting if they are new to the site, and it is especially long for those that might be using dial-up.

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

When I was around 14 years old I threw a paper route near my home in an old neighborhood (Queensborough in Shreveport, La.). As I would walk down the streets I would look in boxes, etc. placed along the curb for trash pick up. One morning I found a good potential box and when I started rummaging inside it I found a military coat and hat. When I pulled them out, I held them near a street light and realized that I had found (in great condition) an authentic WW2 German officers dress coat and dress hat complete with ribbons and insignia. I looked all over both, even inside the hat band for a name but there was none. Darnit!
I also had one of the best Playboy magazine ;D and bicycle parts collections in town for a 14 year old.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

love reading this thread. thanks everyone.

When I was 12 years old or so a buddy and I started dumpster diving for cans to recycle. In NY at the time you could get .05 for each can. We had his mothers basement full of cans from wall to wall, and she never complained God bless her heart. When all was said and done we cashed in a cool $125.00 to blow on candy and other little boy toys.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bscofield6 said:
whitesid said:

I'm with you bud, I'd also like to see a new forum for dumpster diving. It is starting to get pretty long for one person to sit and read all in one sitting if they are new to the site, and it is especially long for those that might be using dial-up.
What else is there to do besides finding treasures ;D ;D ;D

Thanks All Again for making this thread better each time.. Bob

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD

I picked up a pair of 12" DeWalt contractor chop saws. 1 has a grinding noise in the motor, the other doesn't work. They are the same model. I can probably fix them both or atleast combine the 2 to make 1 good saw.

Yahoo groups has freecycle groups. I just got a Troy-bilt pressure washer off it. 6.75 hp B&S motor. Motor runs GREAT. Whole unit looks brand new. There is a water leak on the supply side where the manifold meets the pump head. Probably a busted O ring. Gonna take it apart this weekend to fix it.

Played middle man between my buddy and my neighbor. Neighbor sold his riding lawnmower and big poly cart for $300.00 because he thought it was busted. Mower is 4 years old, but was only used 1 year and has been garage kept since new. Said it needed a new starter at the minimum. All it needed was the battery charged. I dropped my brand new batter in it from my lawnmower and it started right up and runs like a top. Originally this thing sold for about $1300.00 for the mower and $250 for the cart.

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I've been a lurker on this board for some time now but today I decided it was time to contribute.
I've got a good dumpster story for ya!
Last year I was at a house looking at some antiques that a family was selling because a family member had recently passed away. I noticed a large dumpster in the driveway as I drove up but decided to be tactful about it and not immediately dive in headfirst. After I had purchased some things out of the house and was taking them back to the car the woman (who was the daughter of the gentleman who passed away) asked me if there was anything I wanted out of the dumpster. I had noticed some framed 60's artwork and stuff and said I would take a look. I started to rummage around in there and found 4 big cardboard fileboxes that when I opened them happened to be filled with magazines. Ummm.....not the type of magazines that you put on the coffeetable if you catch my drift. These magazines dated from around 1975 to 1986 and I estimate that there were about 700 or 800 of them. After convincing myself that they must be worth $.50 or $1.00 a piece I decided to take them despite the trouble that I knew would be ahead of me with getting them in the front door of my house and past my wife. After some negotiations I managed to sell my wife on the idea of putting them on ebay and seeing what happened.............Well, 6 months later we were about $9000 richer! It seems there is quite a market for men's magazines from this era and there are plenty of people out there willing to shell out some serious dough for them. I am SO glad that I decided to take them in the first place. I wonder how often this scenario happens when someone passes away? The family was embarrassed and didn't want to deal with or didn't see the worth in their fathers "collection".
Easily the best thing I ever took out of the trash although I've got another good story for ya that I'll post at another time!

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

post it now!!!!! post it now!!!!! lol

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

today on the way home from work
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY out in the middle of a cornfeild
next to the side of the road
in the ditch upside down
was a craftsman 6.0 horse power lawnmower
which i just started up and runs fine ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I love this post. You guys are really finding some great stuff.
I am not a dumpster diver, but Lord knows I will pick up anything that looks useful along the road. Which accounts for two double car garages full and a few sheds. I keep saying I am not going to drag anything else home, but then....I spot a great find and in the truck it goes.
I have decided to turn a new leaf and have been cleaning out stuff all week.
Evidently there are more people like me as I loaded down my curb three times this week and each morning its all gone! :)

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

gypsyheart said:
I love this post. You guys are really finding some great stuff.
I am not a dumpster diver, but Lord knows I will pick up anything that looks useful along the road. Which accounts for two double car garages full and a few sheds. I keep saying I am not going to drag anything else home, but then....I spot a great find and in the truck it goes.
I have decided to turn a new leaf and have been cleaning out stuff all week.
Evidently there are more people like me as I loaded down my curb three times this week and each morning its all gone! :)

where do you live? lol

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

OK, as promised here is another dumpster story for everyone to enjoy. I used to own an antique store and I would occasionally get calls from people who were trying to sell/clean out stuff to come to their home to take a look at what they have. I had gotten a call from a person that I had bought some antiques from previously but this time they said they were just cleaning out their garage and they had some stuff that was free for the taking if I liked any of it. So I hopped in the car to go take a look. There were a few things that I could use so I gathered them up and was waking out of the garage to my car when I noticed a garbage can with some curious metal pieces on top of it out in the driveway. At a glance they looked like some sort of African spear heads or something. I pointed them out to the owner and asked if he was going to throw them away and he said yes but if I had an interest in them I was welcome to take them. So I grabbed them and off I went. When I got back to my store and looked at them a little closer I noticed that one was marked with a name and the state of Georgia. Now I was really confused....I had been thinking they were just tourist trade African spear tips but why would they be marked "Georgia"? I ended up taking them to a local gun shop owner and close family friend who is very knowledgeable on weapons and he told me he thought they looked like Confederate Pike heads from the Civil War! After some research I was able to confirm that they indeed were Confederate pike heads and I was able to sell them to a collector for $1500. Not bad for something that almost went to the dump.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

maybe we should ask Marc if he can make a new forum on this topic. it seems pretty popular, what do you guys think?

I agree. A new forum would be great.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

I used to LOVE dumpster diving, but the meth heads just had to ruin it for everyone who did it by stealing peoples identities here in my hometown. Now, if a police officer catches you dumpster diving, you get a nice little piece of paper saying Pay $200 and do not pass Go.
Pretty sad considering some the things I used to find. Heck I am still carrying a guitar around in a case I got out of a dumpster about ten years ago!

HH everyone

~Nash~

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My grandfather worked for the department of Sanitation for the City of New York. I can still remember some of his finds. The best stuff would come when factories and business closed. Over the years, he brought home boxes of leather boots (all lefts, as I recall), boxes of white gloves as well as glove forms, cases of costume jewelry samples. Some of my best memories are of helping grandad with his hobby: Restoring old clocks that people had thrown away. He had quite the collection of German Cukoos. He gave me a beautiful porcelein clock from a German factory that was bombed during WWII. I still treasure that "trash"!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OOH! I almost forgot!! Last year, an elderly neighbor finally got around to cleaning out her son's room (he moved out about 30 years ago). She put a bunch of toys from the 60's out. Does anyone remember Big Lou, the robot??? Well, there he was in the box, with the price tag still on it. I don't believe that the kid actually played with his toys..the instructions were still in the box, as well as all of the darts that Mr. Lou shot from his arm-his eyes lit up red when I replaced the battery. That was very cool. She also was getting rid of loads of Lionel trains and an Erector set. I made sure that she got a fruitcake from me at Christmas ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread