Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2012

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES New 3/14/

a lamentation
    so when we are worm food
    i hope that someone finds our "unwanted stuff" on the curb as enjoyable to find
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

us
    Apr 2006
    DES PLAINES IL
    AVATAR: MY Wife Saying.... "Your going Metal Detecting
    150 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES New 3/14/

Quote Originally Posted by EDDEKALB
    a lamentation
    so when we are worm food
    i hope that someone finds our "unwanted stuff" on the curb as enjoyable to find
    Dude you have to let my try some of what you are smoking......LoL

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Happy Hunting from Des Plaines IL ( D P Bob )

us
    Apr 2006
    DES PLAINES IL
    150 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Happy Hunting from Des Plaines IL ( D P Bob )

Mar 2007
    Maryland, Pennsylvania line
    Whites XLT (New model)

Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE PICK CURBSIDE FOR TREASURES Need more pics

Well lets see...The first answer is yes, I find lots of stuff curbside or so forth. Just today at the carwash with my wife I looked into the trashcan and someone had thrown out their cingular cell phone complete with smart card. To add to the list over the years i have found:

Multitudes of computers, monitors, hard drives, CPU's, periphrials etc...
    Cell phones
    Stereos
    Clad change (in drawers, in dryers etc..)
    Jewelry of all types
    A pop up camper
    TV sets (old sets and newer, no plasma or flatscreens yet0
    16 inch craftsman drill press
    24 inch Kings planer with stand
    Several riding mowers,push mowers and other lawn equipment
    One old styl PS2 console (working)
    One Xbox (working)
    Glassware (new, carnival and depression)
    Lumber and building supplies
    Assorted hand tools and power tools
    Lots of nick nacks
    CD's, CD/DVD games for gaming consoles and DVD's
    Furniture
    Literally bags of bibles (Not real religious, but cant stand to see a bible just thrown out!!)

All that from curbside pick up!
    Talk about throw away society! People throw out everything because something newer comes along even though nothings wrong with what they have in the first place!!!
    Oh well. Their loss is our gain!
    Half of the people in the world are idiots. Fifty percent are not. The problem is that out of each fifty percent half of them are just waiting for their chance to jump the fence to the other side!!!!!!

us
    Beep beep 'm beep beep Yeah

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    829 times

Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE PICK CURBSIDE FOR TREASURES Need more

Former Caveman... my brain shrunk.

TreasureTales

Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE PICK CURBSIDE FOR TREASURES Need more pics

Ben, I have no idea what that first item was, but you did and that's great! Congrats on making money from throw aways. WTG!

us

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    829 times

I didn't know what it was either, but thought it seemed interesting, so being that it was free I took it and google searched "victor orthophonic" and was happy with what I found. I learned that this is what the "horn" of the the old record players attaches to. When researching them I saw that certain varieties go for much better money, and that there are folks who rebuild these things... what an odd little thing to have made money on. I'm lucky to have a couple of "dumpster-diving" friends who hand such items over to me... dinner/drinks are always on me after I sell such things. For any new-comers, remember to take a lot of chances... it only takes one "yahoo!" to make up for a lot of "dang its"... and I've had a lot of those.

us
    Oct 2006
    SW Idaho
    Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
    3 times

Nice score nhbenz!

tippy_canoe

What a great thread - but I can't believe that no one has mentioned Craig's List yet. Talk about your bounty of freebies! Check out www.craigslist.org and find the city closest to you. Under the "For Sale" section is a "Free Stuff" category and people throw anything and everything out for FREE! Just go get it! People are happy not to have to move things or deal with their disposal - perfectly good stuff for NOTHING! Yes, NO $$$$ at all!

Also, Craigslist has a garage sale section and what folks don't sale on Sat/Sun usually ends up in the "free stuff" section by Sun afternoon or Mon morning. Or just keep the address & drive by...you can find stuff sitting on the curb with a cardboard sign that reads "free" on top of the pile.

People get desperate to get rid of stuff when they move, so you can find all kinds of stuff for sale in your area cheap, cheap, cheap! I paid $50 bucks for the camper shell on my truck from a guy who was moving & lived 8 blocks from my house. I've picked up free building materials, free home gyms, lots of housewares & furniture, rugs, etc. Too much to list here! Craigslist RULES!!!!

-tippy

p.s. And like nhbenz, we have a couple of "swap shops" at our local dumps too. Folks drop off everything if it's still usable and it's all free for the taking. The dump workers also let us pick the metal pile. Here's a pic of what I got a couple months ago - a $200 Weber Q gas grill and stand. Someone didn't want to clean it and just threw it out. I cleaned it up with oven cleaner, poked out the gas tube, hooked up the gas and she lights on the first push of the igniter! Score!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weberQ.jpg 
Views:	2404 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	124060  

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    253 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Here is this weekends "trash" find.....

Name:	dump.jpg 
Views:	2377 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	5857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump.jpg 
Views:	2366 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	124061  

us
    IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Dec 2006
    Central Kentucky
    DFX with the 950 and 12incher Tesoro Bandido
    7 times

I have found some decent stuff curbside. I got hooked when I was eight years old! Ashamed to tell the story but here goes! I was walking home from school when I was but a wee lad and I noticed a box at the curb. Playboys! Eight years old remember? Jackpot! My ship had come in. The neighborhood bullies found me and the mags beat the crap out of me and took them! Memories.

I spotted a good looking push mower a few weeks ago but my wife would not let me put it in our rented Hummer H2. It was our honeymoon so I let it go! Never again!
    KINDAFOUNDABUCKLE

us
    Dec 2005
    nc
    Tesoro Conquistador Umax - BH Discovery 3300
    23 times

just sold my street trash find........pretty good return.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    2013 FINDS- 1897 IH, Chinese Coin? Wheat 1939
    2012 FINDS -1879 Morgan Dollar
    2011 FINDS-?
    2010 FINDS-?
    2009 FINDS-
    IH - 1889,1892,1902,04,06,07,08,07,04
    Buffalo - 1935
    Wheats -?
    Silver-1 charm
    CW Relics- a three ringer, old 1850 buckle

http://www.cafepress.com/GeoMercantileCo

us
    Apr 2006
    DES PLAINES IL
    150 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Here is my latest curb find. A 3 year old snowblower Most likely only used less the 5 times since there is no wear on the scrapper or paddles. It was dusty and the carb needed cleaning from old gas in it. I spent 45 minutes and less then $ 7.00 in parts to rebuild the carb. Starts on the first pull and runs like a champ. I should be able to get $175 - $200 for it in the fall. Got it 3-27-07 on my way to work. Along with it was, but I didn't take them, a stereo,humidifier, and vcr. BY the way the AIR COMPRESSOR in the back ground was tossed in the garbage 13 years ago and it's only 15 years old now. At that time it was a $479.00 compressor.
    I'm still amazed at what people toss out.

D P S B

Name:	found snowblower.jpg 
Views:	2302 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	124852  

us
    Apr 2006
    DES PLAINES IL
    150 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

B T W ALL

GREAT STUFF BEING POSTED HERE!!!!!!

I love to read the responses to the Thread...

THANKS ALL who respond.... D P S B

us

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    829 times

I agree! Its great seeing the finds from what others decide to trash. Until yard sales (or tag sales, depending where you live) get going the "swap shop" and metal pile at the dump is all I have... If anyone has trouble with small engine stuff -- drop me a line, I'll walk you through how to fix your equipment. Happy Hunting. -Ben

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors