EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATED

most popular thread next to the jap gold one 8)

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re:BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURESUPDATED 9-9-07

Found these coins in the garbage a week after the big storms that came through the Chicago area.
There was a pile of nice old chairs and other misc. stuff like Christmas stuff and Holiday Decorations.
On top of the stuff was a dirty old white purse. I looked inside and saw the pennies on the bottom and then I opened up the zippered compartment and all the money from Ireland was in there.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Also got a few old toys from the late 60's....

Thanks for looking

DPSB

Attachments

• 9-6-07 Garbage Finds in purse Park Ridge 001.jpg
    9-6-07 Garbage Finds in purse Park Ridge 001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 9-6-07 Garbage Finds in purse Park Ridge 002.jpg
    9-6-07 Garbage Finds in purse Park Ridge 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,527

rdj

Greenie
Sep 14, 2005
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE /GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 9-9-07

My son and I went fishing yesterday and as usual I went looking around the boat ramp for Al cans. There weren't very many, but I found a couple of bags of junk someone had thrown away. One plastic bag had 25 casset tapes in it. Got Bread, Randy Travis, Dolly Parton, and a few others I like and they play well. Now, if there was only a Gordon Lightfoot tape instead of Led Zeppelin and Ozzie Osbourne, I'd be happier. Also got an old bottle (worth very little) and a hand grater-the kind moms used to grate cheese and lettuce with-it'll go to the booth at the junk/antique mall. I know it's not much but it was fun finding it.

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE /GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 9-9-07

My sister and I made a few bucks last weekend from a dumpster find. We were having a yard sale, she live on an ally and right across it the owner of a shop is going thru a divorce. He dumped boxes of all sorts of stuff in there. Picture frames (pictures of them), 4 really nice tablecloths, lots of kids toys (mostly hot wheels and fisher price stuff), knick nacks, and what made me laugh was a bag of paper coin rolls (without the coins).
We scooped the box's up, and just added it all to the yard sale.
We gave the hot wheels to a kid down the street who has a drunk for a mother and he was so happy.
My favorite thing was a plastic talking Scooby-doo motion sensor for halloween. You walk by it and it says Scooby-Boo .. too funny. I found a nickel and a quarter in with the toys too.

~~Minnie

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE /GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 9-9-

Minnie said:
My sister and I made a few bucks last weekend from a dumpster find. We were having a yard sale, she live on an ally and right across it the owner of a shop is going thru a divorce. He dumped boxes of all sorts of stuff in there. Picture frames (pictures of them), 4 really nice tablecloths, lots of kids toys (mostly hot wheels and fisher price stuff), knick nacks, and what made me laugh was a bag of paper coin rolls (without the coins).
We scooped the box's up, and just added it all to the yard sale.
We gave the hot wheels to a kid down the street who has a drunk for a mother and he was so happy.
My favorite thing was a plastic talking Scooby-doo motion sensor for halloween. You walk by it and it says Scooby-Boo .. too funny. I found a nickel and a quarter in with the toys too.

~~Minnie
That happens a lot of times.. Glad to hear you made a few bucks with the stuff...

I just found a H P laptop and I have it listed on Ebay for parts....Hope it sells I have 50 cents in listing fees invested into it ;D ;D ;D ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATE 9-9-07

curb side overstuffed chair and couches with the cushions on --must likely just carried to the curb when the new one came? -- stop -- lift the cushions --- push down near the edges -- money or jewelry might be there you never know?-- heck --go check your own right now-- you might just be surprized -- fairly simple and clean and quick to do -- at the local dump? cut the along the bottom of the sides of old wore out sofas --money often drops down staying there--- ;) Ivan

S

Scots Gaelic

Drove by a house where the a family was "cleaning the garage". Wow! what a beautiful big blue dumpster - I said. To sum it down, I made 4 trips with my SUV (fully loaded), I was able to replenish my workshop (by half - of items I use) with brand new (in the package) items. The clench er is: I found $1250 Denmark paper dollars & about $250 in coins (all in a satchel). I tried to return it, but the "Dad" said "Naw, I said you can keep whatever is in the dumpster". I have no idea what this foreign currency is worth, but when I brought back a 24 case (because I saw a lot of New Castle Ale bottles in the trash), the "Dad" was very happy with a big smile on his face as we shared a beer & I assisted him with cleaning out the garage for the rest of the day!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the bad news first* american banks will not exchange the old dutch (netherlands) paper money --now the good news* however the dutch paper money* is still exchangible --they switched to the euro awhile back -- last day that is was easily converted was back in 2002 -- however if you mail the money to the national central bank of the netherlands (kind of like our treasury dept) they will still convert it to euros at the final 2002 set rate --thats about 567 euros -- they may or may not charge a small fee for exchanging it-- which will be deducted from the 567 euros if they do -- and they will send you a check for the 567 euros or the "remaining balance" if they deduct any "exchange fees" that you can get cashed into american dollars at a local bank for a small fee deducted from the the check for changing euros to dollars -- when you send in the old money-- send a letter asking if you can get the check made out us dollars who knows they might just you send a check in us dollars rather than euros in return -- * the great news is at last check 567 euros exchanged in dollars was $802 bucks* -- so its well worth a couple bucks worth of postage and a little bit of effort to do it -- the coins are not redeemible only the paper bills -- keep the coins as a momento of your "score" --- (you by do this will easily earn enough to buy a decent metal detector* like the white M6 about $600 out the deal ) way to go --- Ivan

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you can make a cool cache with those dutch coins for another MD'er

HH
-GC

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm

Another one of my favorite hobbies. I usually go to the local thrift store dumpster after they toss out what they don't want to sell. I can get boxes of books quite regularly and sell them to the local used bookstore (more like a giant book warehouse since it's bigger than a Wal-Mart). I used to take a lot of my finds and sell them on eBay and make good money that way as well.

It all started as a kid dumpster diving in our apartment's bin. No one ever threw any trash away their for some reason, but their were always toys and luggage and such. My dad's co-worker who was also a doctor as well caught on and started doing the same thing. That man made a lot of money, but never wanted to spend any of it, so he went to the dumpsters.

Aeryck

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

Freakin' awesome finds !!!!!!!!!!!! It always pays to check the dumpsters.I hit a dumpster downtown one afternoon and got an awesome 1940's Coca-Cola sign and whole bucket of original hot wheels and old Dinky Toys as well as pile of other useful items.The kin of an old restaraunt owner where cleaning out the old restaraunt to sell it.Unfortunately someone saw them tossing stuff in the dumpster and told them to get an auctioneer.If they hadn;t been tipped off I woulda had a real load. We used to have a landfill here where there was a household area and I made a trip there every time I had the chance to look through it.I was amazed to see the same thing as you have found....people cleaned out a elderly persons house and just heaved it all except the modern things that were worth lots.I got some really sweet antiques and collectibles from those piles.Go back and double check every bag !!!! God Bless and hh...Panz

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

MSgtUSAF said:
Don't dive in STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo, 2 guys got 6 months each for taking vegetables from a dumpster there. They were trespassing but a Felony theft charge for taking trash from the dumpster is a little over the top.

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. -- An owner of a Steamboat Springs produce store said six months in jail is too harsh for two men who plucked discarded fruit and vegetables from the store's trash this summer.

Giles Charley, 24, of New Hampshire and 27-year-old David Sillier of Pennsylvania admit they jumped the fence at Jonathon Hieb's Sweet Pea Produce on July 26, but only because other stores in town were closed.

By pleading guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and agreeing to spend six months in the Routt County Jail, the men avoid a felony conviction.

Hieb told the Steamboat Pilot & Today newspaper Saturday the most the pair should have gotten was 20 hours of community service. Hieb said he didn't want them prosecuted at all.

Charley and Sillier were on their way to the summer gathering of the Rainbow Family in a forest north of Steamboat Springs when they picked overripe apricots, cucumbers and asparagus from a locked trash area at Sweet Pea.

They said they would have bought food, but everything was closed when they rolled into town.

Charley's mother, Shaine McCarthy Charley, told the newspaper she was "absolutely flabbergasted" by the six-month jail sentence.

Proves that the old saying "The law is an ass" rings as true now, as it did then.... ???

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Well, I haven't found anything as nifty as some of you guys, but I took a friend home one day after work. His neighbor had their trash can by the road. And wouldn't you know it? A golf bag with a complete set of clubs! :P They were well used, of course, and although I don't play golf...I wouldn't have let myself live it down if I didn't take them. So, I did. My friend thought I was insane for doing it, but come on, man! It's FREE clubs for crying out loud! LOL

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets bring this back from the archives................. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATE 2008

heres one for ya... JoAnn's fabric craft store, know what they do..they deliberately break stuff that they know is going to be thrown out in their dumpster, so no trash pickers get it unbroken. and also, dumpster diving in nj is against the law... WHY AM I NOT SUPRISED on that one..

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

Steve_UK said:
MSgtUSAF said:
Don't dive in STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo, 2 guys got 6 months each for taking vegetables from a dumpster there. They were trespassing but a Felony theft charge for taking trash from the dumpster is a little over the top.

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. -- An owner of a Steamboat Springs produce store said six months in jail is too harsh for two men who plucked discarded fruit and vegetables from the store's trash this summer.

Giles Charley, 24, of New Hampshire and 27-year-old David Sillier of Pennsylvania admit they jumped the fence at Jonathon Hieb's Sweet Pea Produce on July 26, but only because other stores in town were closed.

By pleading guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and agreeing to spend six months in the Routt County Jail, the men avoid a felony conviction.

Hieb told the Steamboat Pilot & Today newspaper Saturday the most the pair should have gotten was 20 hours of community service. Hieb said he didn't want them prosecuted at all.

Charley and Sillier were on their way to the summer gathering of the Rainbow Family in a forest north of Steamboat Springs when they picked overripe apricots, cucumbers and asparagus from a locked trash area at Sweet Pea.

They said they would have bought food, but everything was closed when they rolled into town.

Charley's mother, Shaine McCarthy Charley, told the newspaper she was "absolutely flabbergasted" by the six-month jail sentence.

Proves that the old saying "The law is an ass" rings as true now, as it did then.... ???
Apparently Steamboat Springs authorities got a heads up the Rainbow Coalition was coming. We had em here in Arizona a few months back. They're not picky about what they grab. In other words if it it ain't bolted down it'll be gone by morning. We had four of them locked up after they tried to steal some property from one of our substations. Watched em on the cameras as they ditched what they stole when the Sheriff showed up. Just hope they don't wreck things for the rest of us. How hard is it to ask permission?

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

A bit off subject, but cool nonetheless. When I bought my house I got to looking through the attic at all the empty shoe boxes and what nots laying around. I found a few old books, a lamp of some kind, a couple of old vacuums, an old officers looking hat with a badge on it, "diamond" studded antique bird cuff links, four voodoo doll looking things, a basket of sewing stuff and what nots, and my personal favorite: a Parisian Perfected Art Needle!!! Complete with four points and instructions! It was found in a stamped envelope dating 1938! The whole set looks as good as new. I have no clue what it's worth or anything, but I'm proud of it. ;D Just thought I'd mention it. Cheers!

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

I had forgotten all about this thread. Love to hear about everybody's finds great and small. Keep em comin' :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread