Come on a Treasure Hunt with me...

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, this will be fun!!! There is a really nice house about two blocks down the way from me where an elderly couple live. Sadly, a couple of years ago the Mrs. passed away. Well, me being me, when they tossed her stuff, I "rescued" it from the trash. Soooo.... I know these folks have great taste. Now, they are on to Round Two of cleaning out the house.

Tonight, I grabbed over two dozen black Hefty bags full of stuff. I don't know what's in them - yet! Here is a pic of one pile I brought in to work on in front of TV tonight. As I uncover the goodies, I will post them here for you! Anyone want to guess what I *might* find??? I can tell you that I did find one bag of old National Geographic Magazines and one bag of old Architectural Digest magazines so far...

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 004.jpg

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAG NUMBER ONE:

Travel books and maps:

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 006.jpg

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 011.jpg

Small Lion Statuette from the Lion's Club:

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 008.jpg

A collection of Decorative Turtles:

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 010.jpg

And some travel (tourist) knick-knacks (sorry about the bad pic quality!)

Optimized-TNet 3.4.13 015.jpg

There were also some greeting cards, a diary, a 50 year of service piece, a couple of owls, LOTS of plastic flowers, and some vintage candles. Whoo!

That's it for tonight... I will be back tomorrow with another bagful of goodies!!!!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see some more.
A family moved out of their house down the street last week put a lot of stuff on the curb and now it is just blowing around the neighborhood making a mess. Why can't people toss out more good stuff like you are finding?

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAG NUMBER TWO:

More Travel Maps/Books and also Cook Books this time:

Optimized-TNet 3.5.13 002.jpg

A Blue Insulator, A Cornhusk Doll, A Cat Stauette, and A Weird Glass Mouse - anybody know what that is? There is some kind of residue inside there - ick!

Optimized-TNet 3.5.13 004.jpg

I think these little children's accordion books are Russian (?):

Optimized-TNet 3.5.13 006.jpg

And last - but not least!!! - these Jim Beam bottles:

Optimized-TNet 3.5.13 007.jpg

There were also a few misc. frames in this bag and some current catalogs that I recycled :) More to come!!

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"HIGHLIGHTS" FROM BAG NUMBER THREE:

Yeah, so trash bag three turned out to be exactly that... a bag full of trash! Which sent me running for these:

Optimized-3.6.13 001.jpg

Ha ha ha!!! I guess it's a "hazard of the hobby," right? But did I still dig throw the whole entire bag "just in case" there might be some goodies in there? You betcha!!! :icon_thumright:

More to come...

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAG FOUR:

You guessed it!!! More magazines...

Optimized-3.6.13 020.jpg

Some postcards, a brand-new macrame basket holder, and some Blue Ice (I can use that!!):

Optimized-3.6.13 021.jpg

A nice planter, a brass or copper dish that has a Russian (?) mark, a paw print marked "Tigertoes," a jug (no marks), and an old stuffed dog. He's in bad shape, but so cute!

Optimized-3.6.13 026.jpg

Here is a close-up from the bottom of the brass or copper piece:

Optimized-3.6.13 029.jpg

There was also a plastic vase with plastic flowers that I am going to donate to Goodwill and a nice bag marked "MoMa" that I am going to wash and keep for myself!

More to come...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look under "free items" on Craigslist ,lot's of no sale garage sale items left on the curb.I got a nice new Sears microwave that was only missing a glass turn table plate on the inside,for free.It had a $10 price tag on it.

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAGS FIVE, SIX AND SEVEN:

A tower of books/magazines:

Optimized-3.7.13 003.jpg

Some interesting glass pieces, a tin and a weird little leaf thing. I don't know what that leaf is supposed to be... it is made of a melamine type material, but it has little holes in the middle. I first thought ashtray or incense burner? But wouldn't the junk fall through the holes? Maybe it is for potpourri?

Optimized-3.7.13 005.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the Sickels' Masonic Monitor?

Optimized-3.7.13 010.jpg

This is BRAND NEW in the box, still with the factory seal:

Optimized-3.7.13 014.jpg

There were also a bunch of paperclips, a new 2013 calendar, some picture hangers and a grocery size bag full of USB cables, etc. Not as "glamorous" as the other stuff, but items I use in my day-to-day life that I won't have to buy!!! Happy girl!!!

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Great finds ! The Masonic Monitor is basicaly a guide book for cermonies and duties of the officers in the Masonic temple.

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so I have kind of lost count now of how many bags I have gone through. So far, I would say it is about equal parts "TRASH" to "TREASURE." But the hunt is so dang fun!!!

Here are some more goodies to share:

I really love this poster. Sadly, I found it folded up at the bottom of one of the bags AND it had gotten rained on :( Condition is not so great, but still really beautiful:

Tnet 3_opt.JPG

Here are some postcard-sized Japanese prints:

Tnet 3_opt (2).JPG

Here is a candlestick holder:

Tnet 3_opt (3).JPG

And I LOVE this one... it is an Italian tile on the top and it has matchbox holders that slide out on the bottom. Too cool!

Tnet 3_opt (4).JPG

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, my Treasure Hunt is over :( It was great fun, though! I have a few more pics to post. Here are a few more goodies that the bags produced...

Some sterling silver:

3_opt.JPG

The piece in the middle turned out to be 21k!!!

3_opt (1).JPG

A neat pocketknife, some foreign coins and a little bit of change:

3_opt (2).JPG

There's a couple more items I want to share as soon as I get pics. Here's hoping the neighbors do some more "spring cleaning" this weekend!!

northwoods

Feb 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sheesh - there is at least $200 worth of books. List them on AZ. A couple of those books are rare. The Masonic book is really cool, but did not check value. You can also probably sell some of the illustrations and old ads from the mags on Etsy in scrapbooking category and do pretty well. The poster could be worth some good money if you frame it under glass - would take the waves out of it. The "knick knack"s are probably worth some money and the brass lion is cool too. Great haul.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool treasures you've found and you didn't have to fire up the detector and run the batteries down- sweet. yelnif...

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just awesome! Really enjoyed looking at your finds!

Winter

Mar 5, 2013
Israel, for now
Detector(s) used
Soon a Bounty Hunter VLF 2.1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAG NUMBER TWO:

More Travel Maps/Books and also Cook Books this time:

View attachment 753296

A Blue Insulator, A Cornhusk Doll, A Cat Stauette, and A Weird Glass Mouse - anybody know what that is? There is some kind of residue inside there - ick!

View attachment 753300

I think these little children's accordion books are Russian (?):

View attachment 753302

And last - but not least!!! - these Jim Beam bottles:

View attachment 753304

There were also a few misc. frames in this bag and some current catalogs that I recycled :) More to come!!

HIGHLIGHTS FROM BAG FOUR:

You guessed it!!! More magazines...

View attachment 753576

Some postcards, a brand-new macrame basket holder, and some Blue Ice (I can use that!!):

View attachment 753578

A nice planter, a brass or copper dish that has a Russian (?) mark, a paw print marked "Tigertoes," a jug (no marks), and an old stuffed dog. He's in bad shape, but so cute!

View attachment 753580

Here is a close-up from the bottom of the brass or copper piece:

View attachment 753581

There was also a plastic vase with plastic flowers that I am going to donate to Goodwill and a nice bag marked "MoMa" that I am going to wash and keep for myself!

More to come...

Those 2 children books are indeed Russian! one is "family" (the one on he right) and kitten (left)
the plate, I believe it's Finnish. google translated it as "birch", but I'm not sure.
good finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread