Dumpster Diving, Where to start?

Silmiss

Jan 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note: These aren't ANSWERS! I am ASKING these! Sorry if you were confused, i think this is why noone has replied yet.

Okay, so I've been reading some posts around here, and I have a few questions. In the comments, answer them like "1) Bla bla answer" to answer the first one, etc etc.

1) I live in the Bergen, NY area and I plan on dumpster diving in Brockport as its only 2-5 minutes from me. I can't find any site that plain says if dumpster diving is Legal or Illegal in a state/town. Is it legal in Brockport/Batavia, NY?

2) Where would be a good place in Brockport to do it?
Goodwill will probably have REALLY broken things in their dumpster, as it sells used stuff.
There is a Gamestop next to it, but its connected to other buildings, so I'm not sure if I'd find many Gamestop stuff. Also, busy to dumpster dive even night.
Wal-Mart seems like a good choice. But its a really big store, and I'm not sure if the dumpsters are in chained fence or not. Also, it'd mostly be food/clothes.

3) Where would be a good place in Batavia to do it?
Target seems to be there, but where is the dumpster for it? Also, its connected to a bunch of buildings, so it might be too busy to dumpster dive even at night.
Gamestop is infront of it, but its connected to other buildings, and right beside the road in the middle of the parking lot. So busy.

4) How can I identify dumpsters on google maps?
I went to sattelite/earth mode, but I can't tell what is a dumpster or not.

5) Which gives better loot, Gamestop or Target?

6) What gear should I use?
I think I should use a coat (Cold), goggles, a medic mask, rubber gloves, rubber/snow boots, a broom, a step-stool, bags, and the shadows.

7) When is the best time?
People might say night, but won't there might be guards there? I'm thinking maybe lunch time, as everyone'd take their lunch breaks, go inside/restaurant to eat, etc.

8) How can I tell if its "Private Property"?
I know anything inside chain fences are a no-no, but what about next to the building/behind it?

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Patience, Grasshopper. My guess is you haven't received any replies yet because:

A) This is not a particularly active forum; and

B) Some of your questions are specific to a particular community. There may not be anyone from the Batavia area that reads this forum.

I can make a suggestion with regard to your question #4. I wouldn't bother trying to locate dumpsters on Google Maps. I would get in my car and drive around behind every shopping center near you. Every shopping center in my area has dumpsters out back.

I don't do any dumpster diving but, with regard to your question #6, it makes sense to me that a very bright LED flashlight would be a good tool to have with you.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow you really asking this stuff? ok you asked

1. trash is trash, I doubt there's a law protecting it unless the manager calls the police for the nuisance. And don't call to ask permission.
2. I would skip restaurants, funeral parlors, and bars oh and pet shops.
3.see above
4.if you cannot pick out dumpsters by eye when driving around, let google rest.
5. loot is where you find it, no one can say
6. if you don't have a wetsuit and mask wear everyday clothes.
7. most guards won't be watching the dumpster.
8. if it isn't on city property it's on private property. But you only live once, be daring, go for it? You ever heard of anyone arrested for dumpster diving??

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt Gamestop or Target toss anything worth a darn out. I know some places take the 'almost' usable to the dump to be ground up. Otherwise it all ends up at the flea market.

There is apparently some good stuff in dumpsters. A new friend, papers with personal information, used contaminated articles of everything with bloodborne pathogens... my old snot rags... baby diapers... business office restroom waste... leftover lunches... cockroaches and rats... YUM!

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 6.14.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 6.12.31 PM.png

OP
OP
S

Silmiss

Jan 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!
I'm a little timid to try, and sorry about being a tiny bit impatient :P
Dive on!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i will tell you this since my son in law owns a disposable company … That most of your bigger stores now have enclosed dumpsters that you can not get into…….. And most of the bigger company's never throw to much good away …. For they break it up smash it up when they put it in there dumpster …. If they have dishes small furniture .. ect. to throw away they have workers smash it up before they put it in the dumpster,… If they have rugs clothing any thing like that they have a worker cut them up before they throw them out……………………... compactor2.jpg

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dumpster dived and don't see myself ever doing so, but I enjoy reading this forum =) I would think about where you think people have a lot of good wasted items. Maybe plumbing, heat/air shops that may dump a lot of copper and stuff, or places that toss returns, like a tool shop, maybe a company that handles estate sales and would be more than happy to pass off their stuff to you (some estate sale companies only care about the quick sales and dump the rest). I work at a hospital and see them throwing away perfectly good stuff all the time in a large dumpster just because they bought new and had no use for the old stuff (1 or 2 year old desks, chairs, computers, etc.) These are also not the same trash dumpsters they throw food stuffs, biohazards, etc into.

I know its not dumpster diving per say, but i have also seen people set up "recycling bins" near gas stations and marinas by lakes for people to dispose of their stuff, then they just come empty the bin out and get their money after turning it in. Plus it helps keep lakes and such clean and lets face it people drink a lot of beer while out on their boats =)

Last edited:

buddahmusic

Jan 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna try to sum up some of the info Ive learned while dumpster diving, Ill be sure to make a thread with a full guide in the future..

First I wanna clear up some things about dumpster diving
-it is quite rarely gross and messy, most stores for example will have dumpsters that consist of 60% empty packaging (boxes, pallet wrap, bags, styrofoam) 30% broken or perfectly fine merchandise and 10% actual waste (from lunch room and bathrooms) the latter of which you can usually tell because the bags are either A) clear or b) very light due to it being full of paper towel, and food wrappers.. easy to avoid.
-Dumpster diving is very profitable.. its rare i ever come home empty handed, just the other day i came home with 200+$ worth of RC helicopters from the same bin... don't ask, i don't know lol... But Craigslist and eBay are excellent for turning that 'junk' into cash

A few of the above posts hit some nails-on-heads if you will - Avoid restaurants, funeral homes etc. *although, pet stores can yield some profitable loot* (think aquarium gear or other pet supplies, they can be excessively pricey)

As for laws, they are different in every state usually. Me being from Canada, I know the laws here are grey area although there was a case where an officer found evidence in the trash without warrant and the judge ruled that if somethings in the trash, then someone can reasonably assume it is unwanted. So the law would likely be handled as such. Trespassing on the other hand is completely different and can be applied to almost all dumpster diving, again its different in different states etc.. Here you are not tresspassing unless there is a sign forbidding it, or if your asked to leave the property and you return, that would be trespassing also..check your local laws for specifics, don't be afraid to call your local police department and just ask directly.

Things to bring/wear.. as someone else noted BRING A FLASHLIGHT it is 100% necessary, if i forget mine, i either go back home or call it a night. I use a cheap but very bright LED flashlight, you can find them practically anywhere. I personally like a pair of gloves, thick work gloves, not to protect my hands from sticky icky unknowns, but a) its cold (and i assume since your in NY you can relate) and b) protection from sharp objects etc.. A knife can be handy, but if an officer approaches you and you turn around with knife in hand, regardless of your local laws, things probably wont go too smooth, I don't carry one anymore, just usually a pen or something similar to slice bags if needed or slice open a taped box. Clothing, to be honest, i would say just don't wear something you couldn't afford to ruin, personally Ive never ruined anything. Lastly, a vehicle is exceedingly helpful, of course you can dive without one, but may need a wagon or bike or something lol.

Diving spots that payout - my rule is, mid sized retail stores.. if the store is too big like Futureshop/bestbuy walmart etc.. they either have massive heavy steel lids on their dumpsters or they simply have a compactor attached to the building.. both are a no-go. If the store is small like a mom/pop shop, they simply cant afford to just throw stuff away, and usually the owners are the only staff, or at least manage the store, so they are conscious of saving money. Mid sized stores are juuuust right.. they usually have an accessible dumpster, they hire teenage and youth staff, who could care less if there's nothing wrong with the 400$ drill mr yaddayadda just returned, so they just toss it out. Also dollar stores throw a tonne of crap out, a lot of it was garbage before it left the shelves so be careful not to hoard useless junk (it happens... quick) Also university and college housing areas during move out/ semester end can be gold... SOME of these kids are little rich *******s who had their parents pay for most all of their stuff and don't mind tossin it out after they're done with it (furniture, tv's, computers, all kinds)

Avoid places like mentioned above, restaurants, fast food joints, funeral homes, anywhere that works with alot of bio material really... just use common sense (same goes for places to checkout.. use common sense)

Ive left out quite a bit, but as i promised i will make a thorough guide in the future, the best advice i can give, is just get out there and do it... its nerve wracking at first, but it becomes sort of thrilling.. honestly i still am blown away at the items i find, and never know whats going to show up next. Also you will eventually get much more keen at spotting items and knowing where to look the more you dive.

hopefully this wasnt TL;DR ...

buddah

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't dumpster dive, but have seen a lot of good stuff thrown out for the trash man on garbage day.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Buddahmusic, what you said sounds like very good advice to a rookie diver. I would think investing in a couple of pair of overalls would make sense too. Slip them on before you dive in and then, if you do happen to get some foul gunk on you, you can strip the overalls off and stuff 'em in a plastic bag when you are done. That way you don't run the risk of making a mess in your vehicle.

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt Gamestop or Target toss anything worth a darn out. I know some places take the 'almost' usable to the dump to be ground up. Otherwise it all ends up at the flea market.

There is apparently some good stuff in dumpsters. A new friend, papers with personal information, used contaminated articles of everything with bloodborne pathogens... my old snot rags... baby diapers... business office restroom waste... leftover lunches... cockroaches and rats... YUM!

LOL

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you guys have ever dragged bedbugs or cockroaches into your vehicles? Just curious =)

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone said mid size store are nice. But some are starting to smash stuff, one place i use to dive started dumping bleach on the good stuff when they brought it out.Theres not many place here to do it, most smash the stuff anymore. The amish would take and dive and leave stuff lay everywhere so that was that. Apartments are pretty hit and miss, i watch for forclosure notices in the paper and i use to get eviction hearing schedules from the court house. Hey all public record. One thing important learn your area trash schedules. The dumpsters run different days then reg pick up. And there may be more then one trash company also so check around. I made alot of money last year diving and picking trash, if people only knew the potential.

i hope they dont make a tv show.

The bedbugs you have to watch electronics, they get in there also. When i see a house that has a bunch of beds i wont stop, usually bed bug mattresses. If it just looks like a eviction ill stop. Sometimes trash is just trash.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
soooo Miss, found anything yet?

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
Was getting tired of paying 16 bucks a bag for my chicken feed so went to a local Subway to ask about their discarded bread. (assuming there must be a lot they throw out) They adamantly refused to give up any and said they keep their dumpster locked!

Also went to a local Tractor Supply and the manager got quite defensive, almost to the point of being surly. Turns out a month or so later a few employees were terminated for stealing stuff. Probably using the dumpster to stash and retrieve later. Come to think of it I haven't seen that manager in quite a while either!

And yes Bergen, I live near you.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was getting tired of paying 16 bucks a bag for my chicken feed so went to a local Subway to ask about their discarded bread. (assuming there must be a lot they throw out) They adamantly refused to give up any and said they keep their dumpster locked!

Believe it or not but Subway keeps every little crumb until there area manager see's it, and weigh's it. So by then it's molded dried out and worthless.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

Believe it or not but Subway keeps every little crumb until there area manager see's it, and weigh's it. So by then it's molded dried out and worthless.

But that's how my girls like it!!! :laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to a local Subway to ask about their discarded bread.
I saw a produce manager at my local chain grocery store with a shopping cart full pretty good looking leafy veggies and asked the same question.

No can do they have to be thrown away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread