Does it count if you are just walking by??

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a big apartment complex and as I was going to my car today I had to walk past one of my apt. dumpsters. I always glance in if the lid is open. This time I noticed a computer on the top of the pile. My wife was already in the car. I quickly went to my car and opened the back hatch, the car is only 20 feet from the trash. Then I quickly went back and grabbed the PC and threw it in my car. It was the middle of the day. (yes, I would be embarrassed if someone saw me)

I recycle computers and I now have four that need to be torn down for parts. Only had to pay for three. ;)

I will call this my luck dumpster because probably 5 years ago I was walking past the same one and I spied a metal box that had lots of drawers. (guys have them in the garage for screws and nails) I pulled out some of the drawers and realized it was a women's sewing box. I pulled out another drawer and it was full of small safety pins. I don't know why, but I put my hand in and took out a handful. In the very bottom were two heavy sterling silver Italian bracelets. ;) ;)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember where those contents ends up if everyone else is also too afraid to been seen digging in the trash.

We stop at the recycling bins every time we're in town. We don't drink coffee, but the containers are great. Also good 5-gal buckets, and other assorted goodies. However, ur best finds come from the paper bin. It's not unusual to get brand new magazines out of the recycle bin. Sometimes they're left over from the newsstand and other times people get magazines in the mail, then just simply trash them without ever looking.

We also do not drink alcohol, yet have found some really nice alcohol bottles. One time there was a perfectly good, 2-drawer metal file cabinet thrown in with the aluminum cans. Why, I have no idea, as it is not aluminum. It's ONLY fault was a small, slightly rusted scratch on the front. Otherwise, in great shape.

So go ahead - leave the diving to folks who don't mind. ...But also keep in mind that us "uninhibited" folks aren't always around, so most still ends up in landfills.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So go ahead - leave the diving to folks who don't mind. ...But also keep in mind that us "uninhibited" folks aren't always around, so most still ends up in landfills.
You have to remember I live here. It could be a different story away from where I live, just have not decided to do any diving yet. My wife says I already bring home to much junk from the yard sales. But I resell that junk. Ebay just billed me around $88.00 for last months sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions