Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigboar. So, I guess if someone wanted to run the Equinox with, say, a set of regular SunRay Pro Golds, there will need to be an adapter -- with that 1/8" screw in on the male side, and then a 1/4" female end?

Steve

I'll bet any standard 1/4" - 1/8" adapter will work as long as you dont need waterproof

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet any standard 1/4" - 1/8" adapter will work as long as you dont need waterproof

Ah, interesting point, Jason. So the "screw it" part may only be for waterproofing purposes; otherwise, the port may permit just a simple "plug-in" male end... That would make things a lot simpler, as opposed to having to have a proprietary adapter, with a "screw-in 1/8 inch" male on one end.

Steve

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tell you the truth, I'd love to have one. It has a lot of features. Specially the multi frequency options. I currently have a Fisher F75 Limited. I don't see myself selling my trusty F75, but I would keep them both! I'm desperate on trying the multi frequencies on a couple of spots that I killed with my trusty F75.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me Gent's, does Minelab do this hurry up and wait on their new models in the past? If not they should change the name of the Equinox to "Long-Fellow" is it is a Long Time before a Fellow can own one.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some folks are learning the hard way why preordering an unfinished product without a release date is just DUMB.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Equinox rollout is no different than the Garrett AT Max rollout before it, and the Nokta Impact Rollout before that, and the Deus HF coil/pinpointer/Version 4.0 software release before that, and the Whites MX Sport rollout before that. Nothing associated with the Equinox rollout has surprised me (or frankly disappointed me) so far and knowing this is going to be the same old story, I never put my money on the table before it is hatched. Nothing new here to be frustrated about, it is business as usual for any Metal Detecting manufacturer when rolling out a new product. Those who are complaining are either new to the game or have not been paying attention.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Heath Jones on the history seekers radio show the other day said he expects minelab to start shipping the last of this month to retailers and that retailers would most likely be able to start shipping to customers the middle of February, but he was just speculating and didn't have any concrete insight into when retailers would be getting them. That should give everyone a general idea of when they can expect to start seeing them show up at their doorstep.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as long as you don't hold your breath.......

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The shipping date could have been based on how many pre orders they had and in order to get enough detectors to the distribution center the shipping may be delayed a bit. Also I would rather wait a few weeks to make sure they have the bugs worked out they may have learned from testing.. I will wait and in no hurry. I have to sell a cpl detectors anyway

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marry in haste....repent at leisure

Give them a chance to sort any bugs and tweak it. If its anything as good as it's claimed to be then its worth the wait.

Chub

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted one but Ive gone and dropped a bunch of money on new drones so no Equinox. Still just crickets chirping at Minelab anyway

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox is on its way.. most likely sloshing around on a giant cargo ship somewhere in the pacific. From what I understand it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive at port..... unless there is a rogue bunch of detectorist that storm the ship and get theirs first! [emoji38]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox is on its way.. most likely sloshing around on a giant cargo ship somewhere in the pacific. From what I understand it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive at port..... unless there is a rogue bunch of detectorist that storm the ship and get theirs first! [emoji38]

I heard that a band of rogue detectorist pirates have hijacked the ship and are holding the Equinoxes hostage.

somali detector meme.jpg

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just having a hard time with the internal battery. I know it's like a cell phone Lipo battery but I'm sitting here with my phone plugged into the wall lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have my Deus plugged into the wall while detecting and have to deal with no less than three lipo batteries (4 if you count the XP pinpointer) on a single detector (coil, remote, and headphones) and have never run out of juice on an all day detecting session even while leaving the thing running during lunch and breaks (we are not talking physically larger batteries here). I have also never had to replace a battery in three years of owning the detector and it shows no signs of lowering capacity (great I probably just jinxed myself). So I am biased as far as embracing non-replaceable lipo batteries for detectors.

Ok so what does this have to do with the Equinox:

The choice of a built-in, non user replaceable battery helps with ensuring a robust overall water tight design.

A drain test run by one of the Equinox testers verified that the battery lasted for 12 straight hours. YMMV but there is no doubt, if you embark on a day long detecting session with a fully charged Equinox battery, your body battery will likely run out before the Equinox's does.

Even if you forget to charge the Equinox or you are planning on running it more than 12 hours straight, it can be powered from just about any of the ubiquitous and cheap external cell phone power banks available at 7/11's everywhere (just like the old AA battery analogy) using the supplied USB charging cable and magnetic connector. The only drawback to this approach is if you wanted to take the Equinox for a dunk then on the fly charging/powering would be highly discouraged. [Note that the Equinox can only be powered by the external pack if you are operating the machine. If the machine is de energized, then the external pack will charge the built-in battery].

Properly prep your gear for the next day's hunting and you should have no limitations. But if you do forget, you can charge the thing on the way to the hunt site or power it up in the field with a battery bank as described above.

I kind of got over the whole non-replaceable, lipo battery thing once I converted over to being able to jump start my car with a lipo emergency battery pack the size of a paperback book.

Don't fear the Equinox...

BTW not belittling the trepidation regarding non-replaceable rechargeable batteries in detectors, I get it. My phone battery run time sucks, too.

Last edited:

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it more of will the battery be user replaceable? As we know rechargeable don't last forever. That was more what I was getting at, and you make a great point.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it more of will the battery be user replaceable? As we know rechargeable don't last forever. That was more what I was getting at, and you make a great point.

That is a good question. I suspect it will last for several years and may require a service center replacement down the road or Minelab may provide replacement kits. Even if you have to pay for the replacement outside of warranty, the total cost will likely be less than what you would have sunk into replaceable batteries over the years with the inconvenience of being without the detector for a number of days, worst case. I'll worry about that 5+ years from now when I will likely have moved on to the Equinox II.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
That is a good question. I suspect it will last for several years and may require a service center replacement down the road or Minelab may provide replacement kits. Even if you have to pay for the replacement outside of warranty, the total cost will likely be less than what you would have sunk into replaceable batteries over the years with the inconvenience of being without the detector for a number of days, worst case. I'll worry about that 5+ years from now when I will likely have moved on to the Equinox II.

What will it be Fletch?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread