ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully this forum wont be polluted with people constantly debating a machine that they've never even seen in person.

Also hoping it lives up to it expectations!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very interested in trying it out but I still have a lot of questions.
#1 Will it be able to change frequencies without having to buy multiple coils?
-I'm tired of doubling the cost of a detector just so I can use all of its features (frequencies).

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I watched the video right it says it is a multi frequency unit. Meaning all frequencies through the same coil at the same time . Now I want to know is the price of the smaller coil because there is no choice on coils when you buy . You get the larger coil no matter what . U.S. price of $899 and then if the coil is $500 you are in to a deus .

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After the marketing statement " will make VLF metal detectors obsolete ", the Equinox better live up to the hype or it will be called the Equi-NOT.:laughing7:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very interested in trying it out but I still have a lot of questions.
#1 Will it be able to change frequencies without having to buy multiple coils?
-I'm tired of doubling the cost of a detector just so I can use all of its features (frequencies).

Icewing --

Just to confirm what 1942 merc said, YES you can run all of this unit's frequencies (AND can run simultaneous multi-frequency) through the same coil -- the stock 11" coil, or either of the two accessory coils (6", or 15"x12"). I haven't seen the pricing anywhere on those accessory coils, at this point, but hopefully they will be reasonably priced.

Steve

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pre-ordered my 800 Sunday and now just a waiting game hoping they will beat their Jan- feb expected ship dates. I do believe it will live up to the great expectations.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty happy with all my minelab stuff. Lookingh forward to the actual finds and videos.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
In looking forward to it as well. I am holding off to see how the detector does going head to head with other detectors. Kudos to you guys buying it right out of the gate so the rest of us can see how it performs from unbiased opinions.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm really anxious to get one in my hands and put it into the water first thing. Also, to do some testing on depth, separation and TID/Tones in the beach environment.

OP
OP
C

coherent

Sep 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre-ordered my 800 Sunday and now just a waiting game hoping they will beat their Jan- feb expected ship dates. I do believe it will live up to the great expectations.

I placed a pre-order also for an 800. FWIW I was told by the dealer I ordered from (Kellyco) they would receive them in early December and definitely shipped out to customers before Christmas. We'll see if that holds true.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I placed a pre-order also for an 800. FWIW I was told by the dealer I ordered from (Kellyco) they would receive them in early December and definitely shipped out to customers before Christmas. We'll see if that holds true.
That's great news if it turns out correct. Let us know how you like it and post some videos.....

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought fella's, why in the world would you have 8 recovery speeds on the EQ 800?, would you not want the fastest all the time, why would you notch it down to say 4 or 2, I really do not understand, also the sealed battery pack, that can be charged while hunting, just how does that work, and what extra item might I need to carry. Also, would we have the option of using wired headphones with the 800. Just questions, there is just not enough information out there yet to explain a number of things. Any thoughts or feedback?

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
As far as 8 recovery speeds, I don't know if this applies to the equinox, but on other detectors, the faster the recovery speed equates to less depth. I cannot speak for the deus as I don't have one, but other detectors I have used with the capability of fast recovery speeds lost depth. Maybe in a clean spot you lower your recovery speed to get deeper. Just speculating but that would be my guess.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
To add to my reply, the reason i am waiting to purchase is to have questions like yours answered thru head to head comparisons before I purchase. I am very glad that we have people willing to be the first out the gate to purchase these new machines and post videos, because it helps all of us answer questions like the ones you posted above.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can run the Equinox in a single frequency, or you can use multi frequency. All coils will work on one or all. Current anticipated target date is to ship pre-orders before Christmas.

If anyone is interested, there is a lot of demand for these units. We have a pre-order list with a small deposit, and a wait list for others after the pre-orders ship out.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a thought fella's, why in the world would you have 8 recovery speeds on the EQ 800?, would you not want the fastest all the time, why would you notch it down to say 4 or 2, I really do not understand, also the sealed battery pack, that can be charged while hunting, just how does that work, and what extra item might I need to carry. Also, would we have the option of using wired headphones with the 800. Just questions, there is just not enough information out there yet to explain a number of things. Any thoughts or feedback?

Faster recovery speeds in general are good for "target separation," i.e. giving you a separate audio report on targets in close proximity to one another. But, in general you typically lose depth, as marjam said, at faster recovery speeds. On the other hand, slower recovery combined with slower sweep speed allows -- as I understand it -- the machine to spend a little more time processing and "figuring out" deeper/weaker signals.

As for charging "on the fly," the charger port on the unit is magnetic, and the charging cable is magnetic on one end, and USB on the other. Thus, you could plug the charging cable into the USB port of any portable charger (like is used for a cell phone or whatever), and "charge" the Equinox while also "powering it" -- i.e. allowing you to continue to hunt/detect WHILE charging.

Finally, I do believe with high certainty that it was stated that wired headphones can be used with the unit, though I don't know the details.

Steve

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You can run the Equinox in a single frequency, or you can use multi frequency. All coils will work on one or all. Current anticipated target date is to ship pre-orders before Christmas.

If anyone is interested, there is a lot of demand for these units. We have a pre-order list with a small deposit, and a wait list for others after the pre-orders ship out.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks Wayne,
I ordered the Equinox and I'm on the pre-order list. It's great that it may be available before Christmas.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully this forum wont be polluted with people constantly debating a machine that they've never even seen in person.

Also hoping it lives up to it expectations!

Equinox is hands down the best detector I never seen. Hope springs eternal...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I watched the video right it says it is a multi frequency unit. Meaning all frequencies through the same coil at the same time . Now I want to know is the price of the smaller coil because there is no choice on coils when you buy . You get the larger coil no matter what . U.S. price of $899 and then if the coil is $500 you are in to a deus .

Except that unlike the Deus you will have two coils at that point. Realistically, however, since, unlike the Deus, the Minelsb accessory coils are not self powered nor do they have active microprocessor circuitry, I doubt they will cost $500 each. Heck that is even more expensive than the Deus coils. I would guess Equinox accessory coil price points at between $150 and $250.

And regarding user selectable recovery speeds, similar to the Deus, this enables the user to decide whether to favor target separation and trade off depth or vice versa as best suited to the specific site conditions. Great feature to have.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread