First Beach Hunt with the Equinox 600

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first hunt with the Equinox 600, took me out to Long Island, and Field #4 at Jones Beach. I popped the machine into “Beach 1,” and used the factory preset program to start in the dry sand. I immediately realized I had no idea what I was doing or how to use all the tools this machine has available to me, so I decided to just relax and try and learn the different tones and VDI numbers.

My first high tone (VDI 25) was a clad quarter in the dry sand. The signal was strong, and I was surprised when it took two scoops to get down to it – at least 10”-12” deep. Happy-happy!! Pull tabs were coming in around VDI 15, and a deep nickel (9”) also came in at VDI 15. Once I got down to the water, I switched to “Beach 2” and transitioned into the wet sand and shallow surf. Completely smooth, no falsing, crisp signals. I was able to pass up bobby pins and iron with no problem and got a nice surprise when I got a solid high tone and a VDI 28 IN THE WATER. Three scoops later I had a Silver 1946 Dime!

I dug a couple of new pennies deep in the surf as well, and a Wheatie on the way back to the boardwalk! I couldn’t be happier with this new machine on the beach. It is lighter than my Tesoro Sand Shark and seems to be just about as deep as the Excalibur that was following me around. My problem (being a Tesoro guy), is not knowing how to use it yet, but I am sure with a few more hunts under my belt I’ll be able to use it with more precision.

So, to sum up, first time out at the beach was a pleasure and surprise. Very good separation and recovery in heavy trash (bottle caps; screw tops; bobby pins; nails; screws; wire), with good high tones next to low tones. Plenty deep, in wet sand and saltwater. I may never use my trusty Sand Shark again. :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 265

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got out. I figured the Equinox would do well in salt water, from earlier reports. My lowly Cibola does very well in shallow salt water. I just turn down the threshhold some. I was using it at a flood time a few times at Coin Beach, Delaware and it was great. Wonder what the difference is? My machine got some lead and silver and brass items down at least 10". No falsing and the Cibola is pretty much a turn and go machine.

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found a 46 Merc you’d better hang on to that thing Terry! Look again....sounds like it’s working well!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the Cibola; Vaquero; Tejon; and Mojave, at the beach. All great on dry sand, but all of them suffer in the wet sand, and don't work any better in the saltwater. The Cibola is a great machine in black sand, and does about the same as an Ace 250 in the wet sand.

This Equinox is going to blow people away when they start using it, especially Tesoro guys like me. The Equinox is going to replace my Vaquero; Tejon; and Sand Shark. Does it beat the XP Deus? Don't know, but I personally, will not have a problem with confidence detecting behind one. I am very excited about this machine, and I can't wait to learn how to use it!

Attachments

• IMG-20121028-00157.jpg
    IMG-20121028-00157.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 211
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 221
  • t21.jpg
    t21.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 228

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wha? Wha? What am I hearing Terry? Could this be the beginning of bye bye to Tesoro for you? If the EQ hits nuggets you might be a 1 machine man!

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when I thought i was all set with my excall II and F75...

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
IDXMonster brings up a good point I overlooked Terry as officially there weren't any 1946 merc dimes minted. Looking closely at the pic it appears to be 1946. It's possible a few were minted before a changeover and someone sneaked them out illegally. Verify that dime and does it have a mint mark on it? It could be a '45 with a slight bridging from the deep tarnishing.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the old joke, if all else fails, read the instruction manual?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
IDXMonster brings up a good point I overlooked Terry as officially there weren't any 1946 merc dimes minted. Looking closely at the pic it appears to be 1946. It's possible a few were minted before a changeover and someone sneaked them out illegally. Verify that dime and does it have a mint mark on it?

Looks like 1945 to me...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get to a salt water beach around here, you go out a few feet and the things go deep fast. Is it that way where you are Terry, your beaches look much shallower a longer way out there.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IDXMonster, you made me go get my loop out! :laughing7: NOT a '46 - darn! It's a 1945 Merc. Still very happy! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get to a salt water beach around here, you go out a few feet and the things go deep fast. Is it that way where you are Terry, your beaches look much shallower a longer way out there.

Jones Beach tends to slope slowly, although I have stepped off an edge at Robert Moses, and gone under. For the most part I'm a knee-high guy at low tide. :skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches here are not like that. They mostly go down, fast, and the rip current at the ocean are monsters. I was talking to one of the rangers last year at Delaware Seashores State Park and he told me on average one person a year dies there. Stinks. You can see the rip tide from space on a satellite image.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really think that will happen. There are too many of us here. The shipping would really hurt.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wha? Wha? What am I hearing Terry? Could this be the beginning of bye bye to Tesoro for you? If the EQ hits nuggets you might be a 1 machine man!

Not so sure about those nuggets on the 600... the 800 is made for the nuggets

42C7DE5A-D7D0-4928-92EA-47BAB9CF3BB6.jpeg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of retiring my 1280X and think the Equinox will be a great improvement/replacement, now to decide on which one, leaning towards the 800. Terry I was really surprised at some of your comments, I guess you can teach an old dog new trick. :icon_thumleft:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry how do you find the stock headphones? I see they don't have a waterproof connector.. I wish they'd at least have put the connector on there so you could use it in the surf (keeping head above water).

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first run, Terry. Makes the wait even harder.

Did you run into any bottle/crown caps?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread