Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Official Equinox Headphone Thread

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    Minelab Equinox 800 Past: Tesoro Tiger Shark Tesoro Silver uMax AT Pro
    110 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    I read somewhere if the transmitter (control box of the EQ in this case) is continuously submerged greater than 6 inches to a foot, then you will not get a signal (consistent with Deus). BT transmits at about 2.4 GHz which is highly attenuated in water especially at the low powers we are talking about. Also, if you use APT X you will want to test to see if the lag is not a problem (about ~120 ms more lag than APT X LL as discussed above). I have not been able to find any IPX rated APT X LL headphones.
    I guess they are pretty few and far between. I did find these though.
    Supposedly aptX & ipx8 rating. Should be good for 1-3 meters underwater with that rating.
    I would assume if they are true aptX (did not list as LL aptX though) then the lag shouldnít be to far off of the Minelab headphones.
    However, being a long time Amazon buyer, Not all listings are 100% truthful.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4684 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    They will lag as they are about 4x more leggy than APTX LL. Even though they are IPX 8 rated that just means they will not get damaged at the rated water pressure but you won't be able to transmit a radio signal more than a few inches under the water so its kind of a moot point other than knowing they will survive a good dunking should you step into a hole or get knocked over by a wave. If the control box is going to be more or less continuously submerged you really need to be hard wired to the detector.
    Last edited by vferrari; Feb 19, 2018 at 08:16 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    110 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    They will lag as they are about 4x more leggy than APTX LL. Even though they are IPX 8 rated that just means they will not get damaged at the rated water pressure but you won't be able to transmit a radio signal more than a few inches under the water so its kind of a moot point other than knowing they will survive a good dunking should you step into a hole or get knocked over by a wave. If the control box is going to be more or less continuously submerged you really need to be hard wired to the detector.
    For someone scuba diving or snorkeling that would be an issue, but for the average detectorist or someone like me that lives in Minnesota and really doesnít venture past waist deep it shouldnít be a problem. I just want a pair of nice, small & light BT headphones that donít make my ears sweat in the summer & wonít be ruined if they drop outta my ears into waist deep water.
    Even a common aptx lag of 120-60ms I donít think is too big of a turn off, at-least for my application. Once a target is hit Iím going to go back over it with a slow swing and the lag effect should be minimal.
    But for the sake of argument & knowledge (cause Iíve not owned any wireless capable detector), even if the control box is submerged 6-12Ē, it would affect the signal that much?
    vferrari likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4684 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usaftrevor87 View Post
    For someone scuba diving or snorkeling that would be an issue, but for the average detectorist or someone like me that lives in Minnesota and really doesn’t venture past waist deep it shouldn’t be a problem. I just want a pair of nice, small & light BT headphones that don’t make my ears sweat in the summer & won’t be ruined if they drop outta my ears into waist deep water.
    Even a common aptx lag of 120-60ms I don’t think is too big of a turn off, at-least for my application. Once a target is hit I’m going to go back over it with a slow swing and the lag effect should be minimal.
    But for the sake of argument & knowledge (cause I’ve not owned any wireless capable detector), even if the control box is submerged 6-12”, it would affect the signal that much?
    Yeah, having the control box continuously submerged at all is pretty much a show as far as wireless is concerned. I own a Deus which also has a wireless coil and you actually have to string an antenna wire above the waterline if you are using the coil continuously submerged more than 6 inches to a foot. However, if you are doing what you are doing in waist deep water, I think the control box will mainly stay above the water line, I think, and you should be ok for only occasional submersions.

Regarding lag, it really is just a matter of being able to try the various offerings out. As you say, APT X should be ok for most purposes unless you are running the unit at maximum recovery speed (and even then, who knows, it still might be ok). In fact, some folks have even reported satisfactory results with regular SBC codec standard BT. I plan to try out a pair of water resistant sports phones by Anker and they are only APT X. As always, YMMV.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2006
    Suwanee, Georgia
    Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75 LTD
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    I have 4 of those ML adapters ordered already to modify with the CTX headphones. I am going to rethread the pg7 strain relief to the metric 12mm threads as a temporary work around till I can get the OFFICIAL MINELAB proprietary connectors. I will be water hunting very soon here in FL as our water temps are already pushing the low 70,s Adapter is not fully assembled as I do not have my EQ yet Attachment 1552637
    I would think that these connectors will be like the Garrett ATP headphone connectors and will not be sold to the public. Something "special" to Minelab headphones.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, ATPro and 3 Excals
    1014 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff In North Georgia View Post
    I would think that these connectors will be like the Garrett ATP headphone connectors and will not be sold to the public. Something "special" to Minelab headphones.
    The AT Pro head phone connectors can be found through a few online vendors. Mouser electrical supply and Newark components. Sadly the Equinox waterproof connector seems for now to be only sold by Minelab.
    Last edited by toddbbq; Feb 20, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2006
    Suwanee, Georgia
    80 times
    Would need a connector like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2402.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	1553585  
    vferrari and chappy(IN) like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    1014 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Just like that one. I wish I had access to a bunch of tools like you do. Did you just bore out the inside of the M12 connector?

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2006
    Suwanee, Georgia
    80 times
    Just like that one. I wish I had access to a bunch of tools like you do. Did you just bore out the inside of the M12 connector?
    Its not quite that simple but yes, this is a connector I modified for this purpose.

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    110 times
    Metal Detecting
    Has anyone heard or seen how much the WM 08 wireless module will be?
    Iím ordering on Wednesday a 600 or 800. I really want the wireless audio option but i could wait for it and buy the wireless Module later.
    For what I need the 600 running at all 5 frequencies in multi mode is enough. I really donít need the gold mode or some of the advance settings. But would really like the wireless audio, so if the module wonít be too much more expensive I would rather get the 600.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    1014 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It may be a while but keep an out on Fleabay as I do not plan too keep my wm08 when I eventually get the EQ800. No idea of actual cost yet as there are no accessory pricing from minelab. The EQ600 has built in bluetooth wireless just like the EQ800. Just buy your own aptx low latency headphones pair up and go.

us
    Ken

Nov 2014
    Northern Ca.
    Equinox 800
    2791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usaftrevor87 View Post
    For what I need the 600 running at all 5 frequencies
    600=3 frequency...
    America the Beautiful!

My You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2w...9Ep5TbCeQqR1GQ

Ken

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    1014 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    3 single selectable frequencies... but all 5 frequencies are used on multi-IQ on both 600 and 800.
    Last edited by toddbbq; Feb 24, 2018 at 09:52 AM.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Ken

Nov 2014
    Northern Ca.
    Equinox 800
    2791 times
    Your reply seems a little indignant, but I would guess because folks dont know yet. and in my manual I only remember seeing it say it uses 3 simultaneous frequencies.
    Last edited by JackalopeZL1; Feb 24, 2018 at 09:53 AM.
    America the Beautiful!

My You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2w...9Ep5TbCeQqR1GQ

Ken

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    110 times
    Metal Detecting
    3 single selectable frequencies... but all 5 frequencies are used on multi-IQ on both 600 and 800. Why does this keep popping up?
    I think people are confused by the ď3 selectableĒ, they automatically assume the EQ600 doesnít have the 20 & 40 frequencies, but they do in multi mode, they just canít be individually selected.

So let me make sure I got this right, the EQ 600 has the built in Bluetooth wireless (just like the 800), and all I need are some low latency headphones. So whatís the point of the 800 shipping with the WM 08? Just so minelabs headphones work correctly with minimal lag?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links