Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this video kicks some serious bootay. I'm with you on that Park 2. That thing smacks it hard. As far as Gold 1 or Gold 2 on saltwater beaches, I've heard the machine just flips out. Dunno though because I haven't tested mine on the beach yet. Would be interesting to see though.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know just what to say other than, wow. I have a feeling for hunting in parks around here, I'll be needing the 6" coil, to help "reduce" the depth alittle..... Just returned to my post here with an additional thought calabash, OK, you were not in the "50" tone audio, were you using 3?, and it would seem like the Park 2 would be a really good all around mode, and I like the "Gold" mode response, it might really be good to play around with in a park as well for ANYTHING gold, with of course those wonderful assortment of pull tabs. Really good video, kind of an "eye opener". Looking forward with what you put together next. SP

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome on the Equinox performance. Looks like it’s going to be a good detector. Thanks for the video CD!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know just what to say other than, wow. I have a feeling for hunting in parks around here, I'll be needing the 6" coil, to help "reduce" the depth alittle..... Just returned to my post here with an additional thought calabash, OK, you were not in the "50" tone audio, were you using 3?, and it would seem like the Park 2 would be a really good all around mode, and I like the "Gold" mode response, it might really be good to play around with in a park as well for ANYTHING gold, with of course those wonderful assortment pull tabs. Really good video, kind of an "eye opener". Looking forward with what you put together next. SP

I remember changing tone settings around and at some point in vid went to 50..

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive for sure.Looks like it could bring some old sites back to life.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why do I have a CTX3030 again??

I may have to look at getting an Equinox now too. :icon_scratch:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash - one thing I need to mention. Noise Cancel and GB are "local" settings. That means that when you shift modes on the fly, you need to be careful about treating it like the Deus. Since each mode has a different Multi IQ frequency spectrum biased toward a high or low frequency spectrum, under conditions of heavy EMI like at your house, from a "purity" standpoint, you should ideally noise cancel after each mode change because depending on EMI, it could select a different channel for each mode base on the Mode's Multi IQ spectrum. If the EMI at the test or hunt site is fairly consistent over time, then a once through noise cancel on each mode should be sufficient at the beginning of the test/hunt session. Furthermore, GB varies from mode to mode (including the GB numbers, (e.g., 10 on Park 2 does not correspond to 10 on Beach 1, etc.). As long as your ground phase is close to the default value or if you put GB in tracking for each mode, you should (again ideally) check GB when you switch modes even if you have not moved from the spot you are swinging to ensure maximum performance in the new mode. You were doing it some of the time and it didn't really appear to matter in this round of comparison tests but when you are really challenging the EQX with some hard tests, you will want to make sure you NC and GB on a mode shift to make sure people don't question test methods.

Note also that Beach Mode will dial back transmit power when it senses mineralization or black sand (look for the caution icon popping up). Gold mode might be too "hot" for a black sand beach.

HH, brother. You look like you are enjoying your new toy. Great video!

Last edited:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone tried the Gold prospecting mode at any saltwater beach yet? Just curious as to how it will/would work.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All reports suggest the gold programs go nuts on wet salt

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash - one thing I need to mention. Noise Cancel and GB are "local" settings. That means that when you shift modes on the fly, you need to be careful about treating it like the Deus. Since each mode has a different Multi IQ frequency spectrum biased toward a high or low frequency spectrum, under conditions of heavy EMI like at your house, from a "purity" standpoint, you should ideally noise cancel after each mode change because depending on EMI, it could select a different channel for each mode base on the Mode's Multi IQ spectrum. If the EMI at the test or hunt site is fairly consistent over time, then a once through noise cancel on each mode should be sufficient at the beginning of the test/hunt session. Furthermore, GB varies from mode to mode (including the GB numbers, (e.g., 10 on Park 2 does not correspond to 10 on Beach 1, etc.). As long as your ground phase is close to the default value or if you put GB in tracking for each mode, you should (again ideally) check GB when you switch modes even if you have not moved from the spot you are swinging to ensure maximum performance in the new mode. You were doing it some of the time and it didn't really appear to matter in this round of comparison tests but when you are really challenging the EQX with some hard tests, you will want to make sure you NC and GB on a mode shift to make sure people don't question test methods.

Note also that Beach Mode will dial back transmit power when it senses mineralization or black sand (look for the caution icon popping up). Gold mode might be too "hot" for a black sand beach.

HH, brother. You look like you are enjoying your new toy. Great video![/Q
thanks does it save it like if you noise cancel in a area say in park 1 and then go to field 2 and do it again and then go back to park 1???? I was noise cancelling when I shifted modes on the earlier test I did.. The GB is what I'm wondering about... I don't want to run tracking in iron. Manual says one thing but all machines ive used seemed to perform their best with a proper gb.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH, brother. You look like you are enjoying your new toy. Great video![/Q
thanks does it save it like if you noise cancel in a area say in park 1 and then go to field 2 and do it again and then go back to park 1???? I was noise cancelling when I shifted modes on the earlier test I did.. The GB is what I'm wondering about... I don't want to run tracking in iron. Manual says one thing but all machines ive used seemed to perform their best with a proper gb.

Yeah it saves it so you should only have to do it once per mode per site (i.e., once "around-the-horn" as I refer to cycling through the 8 (or 6) modes). Same with GB, once around the horn, unless GB changes a lot at the site you're at. In that case, you might want to go with tracking but would want to see if tracking can degrade performance, that will just take some swing hours to figure out.

HTH.

penggali

Jan 30, 2018
WA
Detector(s) used
AT pro W. 5x8 DD coil.
Equinox (soon?)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Nox found me my first real gold this morning, I posted it in "todays finds". the amazing thing is my buddy and I have pounded the same spot with our AT Pros nearly a dozen times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread