Equinox Finds Some Gold But That Ain't the Half of It!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some button mashing in the back yard and a quick ball field hunt that netted me an earring and some change, I felt like today I could hit a local beach park primarily with the intent to try the beach modes and learn more about the Equinox 800. This local park is hunted extensively and in the off season the pickings are slim so I did not have any expectations that I would find much of anything. In fact I was willing to dig trash because that would just help me continue to learn the tones and get used to the routine of initializing the machine (mode select, noise cancel, GB if necessary, etc.) and get used to the routines associated with target ID, interrogation, and recovery. The beach is nice because target retrieval is easy, just dip the scoop in the sand, shake, grab the target and move on. Little did I know what I was in for.

With my multiple test garden runs and short park run, I felt comfortable navigating the menus and doing the routine things needed to run the machine.

Ergonomics: I set out for an hour or two hunt, but it ended up being almost 4 hours. I really had no trouble at all swinging the Equinox for four hours straight. I have made no modifications but being short the Equinox is shortened for me and does not have a great lever arm that torques me so I am comfortable with it. I have not even counterbalanced it AND I keep forgetting to install the arm strap. Despite that, the Equinox was really a dream to swing AND that is coming from a Deus guy. I guess I can go all day with the Deus if necessary, but I feel with the Equinox I can do pretty good all day, if I have a nice lunch break. :smile:

Performance (Beach Mode): I put it in Beach 1, noise canceled and did nothing else to modify the program and started swinging away. I intended to stay high mostly on the dry sand to see if I could pick up old drops near the beach entrances. First target was a pencil (hit the eraser holder). I next hit foil juice pull lid. Third target sounded solid and was jumping a little but oscillated around 10. Dug it and boom. Gold in the sand. It was a small, gold Christ figurine from a crucifix that looks like it became separated from the cross. I could not find the cross. But yeah, Equinox scores gold on the third beach target and I thought well this was worth the trip and I don't mind digging trash the rest of the way. I did not hit much more trash or keepers other than a dime and some fishing tackle and then a few pennies on the high sand. I encountered several random noise bursts throughout my walk and wondered if it was nearby traffic (the park is adjacent to the main Eastern Shore route). It was weird and I could not figure out the source. I u-turned and started heading back at the tide line but was not going to get myself or the Equinox wet at 45F and a steady 15 knot wind. The tide line is usually a sparky mess for the Deus but I can still hear strong coin targets above the din. Equinox, not a peep except for those noise bursts. I finally figured it out. I had my phone in my right hoody pocket which put it in close proximity to the control head. Moving the phone to my left pocket got rid of the random EMI. I never thought it hindered performance, it was more just weird and a little annoying. Anyway problem solved.

As my made my way up the tide line I got a jumpy low 30's signal. Though jumpy, the tone was repeatable and said dig me. I honestly did not think I was going to find anything much on the tide line, just wanted to test the Equinox stability. All I had was my dry sand scoop so digging targets in the wet sand tide line ment I would just have to take several two handed scoopfuls of wet sand out and periodically check to see if I got the target out of the hole. This sucker was deep. A good foot plus and it was still sounding off. I figured I was chasing a phantom until the damn thing finally ended up in the pile. Boom, clad quarter. This scenario repeated itself several times up the tide line for quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies. Each time I pretty much knew I was digging a coin and they were all 7 to 15 inches down. Got fooled once with a sinker. The nickels hit just as hard as the high conductors and tells me this thing will hit some deep gold at the beach. I never worked so hard for a dollar plus worth of clad and never enjoyed it so much. I even dug a wheatie. I know these coins have been sitting there for awhile on this pounded beach and have been missed by a lot of folks because of their depth and proximity to the salt water line. The water hunters don't bother with this area and the sand people's vlf detectors don't work so well at that interface point and now I know what the Equinox can do. Also, lesson learned: always bring my water scoop for the wet stuff, there WILL be deep keepers found with Equinox. Lol.

The other thing that was exciting were the very tiny targets that the Equinox had no trouble hitting (but I had a lot of trouble recovering, lol). An earring fastener, a small gear, small small pieces of mid-conductive metal, probably aluminum. These are the types of targets the Deus only hits when using the HF coils at 28khz or above. Very cool. [Note it is even more impressive to think that these tiny targets were mostly mid-conductors hit by the second least sparky program on the Equinox, i.e., lower frequency biased Beach 1. The magic of MultiIQ at work].

Trash was not really a problem, pic of some of it. Expected to dig the pull tab stuff but it was either 12 or 14/15 not 13. Ha! And the "All Metal" iron grunt trick does work on the crown caps.

Some additional thoughts:

First - I cranked sensitivity to the max for the beach run and other than my cell phone induced noise which I ultimately corrected, Noxtradamus ran pretty quiet.

Second - I used the built-in pinpointer function frequently for deep targets, for finding the extracted deep targets in the dug sand pile, and for locating those tiny targets that slipped through the the scoop screen. Shallow "normal sized" targets I just eyeballed with a coil wiggle and scooped. The pinpointer accuracy and functionality was great. However, I did notice the "low volume" effect on the several occasions. It usually kicked into "normal" volume while positioning the coil over the target, but occasionally it would not kick in and would just stay at the diminished volume level. There was no rhyme or reason for this behavior that I could ascertain. It was really a non factor because I could just disengage and reengage the PP to get it to respond normally but I mention it for completeness. Someone else noted that the PP peak volume seemed louder than target tone volume (i.e. , when directly over the target) contrary to the description in the manual. I perceived this to be the case also but I did not find it to be so loud as to be uncomfortable. Again, though this was a non-issue, I thought I would document my observations. Bottom line is the pinpointer worked great for my purposes while displaying some quirky behavior that did not detract from overall functionality.

Third - Don't sleep on the "All Metal" button. Beside the bottlecap trick, I now realize how brilliant this implementation is. This is set up different than most detectors in that it is not a separate mode but merely eliminates all discriminated/notched segments. The underlying program settings are retained for whatever program you are using at the time you punch in AM. Really no need to ever set up separate no disc program. No disc (on the Deus) was a great way to search for concentrations of iron targets and then switch into a disc program. Instant AM eliminates the need to to have separate disc and no disc programs. If looking for the remnants of an old Home Site or building site, search in AM until you start hitting the nails, then cut out AM and start retrieving relics. Can't wait to try this out (but mother nature with her serial Nor'Easters has different plans).

Anyway, color me impressed.

Hopefully I can get a relic hunt in soon.

20180310_173543.jpg

20180310_173647.jpg

20180310_134719.jpg

20180310_173557.jpg

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vey impressive............................................:headbang:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic write up! :icon_thumleft::hello2:

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome report , Glad to see you getting out there with it and that the EQuinox finally arrived. Looking foreword to hearing more !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tide line is prime hunting area, targets dragged down from beach settle at tide line if surf is mild. I always search the tide line and have found multiple rings there.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari amazing documentation of your beach test run with the Nox but then again aren’t t all your observations detailed to the max? Your write up did not disappoint as usual.

So does this mean that your Deus is retired for a while like the old favorite toy during Christmas Morning when a new toy enters your world?

29AA25B0-746E-4198-BB07-DC6F45A2C4EF.jpeg

How did the battery perform? How much juice was left after a 4 hour hunt?

Thanx again for your awesome post.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice, how did you find the auto noise cancel, any emi apart from your phone ?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey glad you finally got your machine, man! And even more glad that you scored some sweet yellow stuff on your first trip out. Keep em coming.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff, V, thanks for the post! I can't wait to swing this thing at the beach, lakes, etc. this year. I wonder if we will see a new wave of beach/water hunters with the release of the Nox. This is the first machine I have owned that is capable of it, so I will be seeking water this spring and summer. Just ordered a stealth scoop and some other gear and we are driving to the beach in a couple weeks. It is a beach loaded with black sand, so we shall see if the Nox can handle a tough one.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great review V ! I am glad to see the positive feedback on the EQ. I have ordered the 800 myself. Congrats and keep the reviews coming along with any tips. HH

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice report, and finds too.

Now you understand more what I was trying to convey to folks.
Wait till you relic hunt with unit.
Likely you'll be grinning when you are finished.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, how did you find the auto noise cancel, any emi apart from your phone ?

Noise cancel worked well. The phone issue was annoying but sporadic and didn't affect my ability to find targets. Glad I figured it out though.

Vferrari amazing documentation of your beach test run with the Nox but then again aren’t t all your observations detailed to the max? Your write up did not disappoint as usual.

So does this mean that your Deus is retired for a while like the old favorite toy during Christmas Morning when a new toy enters your world?

How did the battery perform? How much juice was left after a 4 hour hunt?

Thanx again for your awesome post.

Thank you, Scoop.

Re: The Deus - it keeps saying "I'm not dead yet." Like a bad Monty Python skit. But it will stick around for several reasons including compact air travel, HF operation above the Equinox high frequency limit and for "machine diversity" when pounding a site that can be re-visited. Plus, I have not had a chance to do any side-by-side testing. In fact, am kicking myself for not having the Deus with me on that beach hunt.

Re: The Battery - fully charged when I got there. 4 hours later 2 out of three bars left plus I inadvertently hunted with the backlight full on (as I discovered later).

Great hunt and congrats on the gold. What are you waiting for? Add the EQ to your list of weapons in your profile:laughing7:

You are right, I keep forgetting to do that. It will be up shortly.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and kind words. Loving this thing more every day.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice report, and finds too.

Now you understand more what I was trying to convey to folks.
Wait till you relic hunt with unit.
Likely you'll be grinning when you are finished.

Thanks, TNSS. Lightbulb is now going on and am getting a lot of what you were saying and demonstrating through your tests. Hopefully, I can get some relic hunting in soon. Keep the testing going.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm... gold ... coins... deep beach... stable... relics.... iron... I think we have a winner folks. Congrats on the GOLD!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt V. I was finding the same depth results at the beach as you were. Deep hits sounded off perfectly on the Nox. You know when you have a good hit, no question about it. Many of my recoveries were deep. Took it out again this past weekend and although I didn't find any gold, still recovered several deep coins including a 76' Eisenhower Dollar that banged in at a solid 38 and was a full Garrett pinpointer length deep (I thought I was chasing a beer can at first). I have never dug a large coin like that at a beach before. Every Nox hunt I do just gets me more excited for the next one!

Best of luck this year!

TwoYewts

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice I agree the All metal button is fantastic. Also, I haven't used pinpoint mode in FOREVER... but on the equinox it is a pleasure to use. I can't believe it, but you know those tiny foil pieces that are impossible to find.. they fall through the scoop. Pinpoint mode on the Equinox helped me find them. The "auto detune" was amazing. I can't even describe it, but once you use it you'll understand... and I've always HATED the sound of pinpoint mode but on the equinox it is easy on the ears. Happy about that.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the t1 volume turned way down on the beach modes. I turned it back up.

When you hit one area that is getting a lot of noise interference, you can go to noise cancel and just step through a few frequencies manually to find the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread