Nox delivered yesterday- in a snow storm, can't resist- headed out in the yard now...

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a foot of snow yesterday/overnight. Oh yea- and my new toy.

So I assembled it, charged (crawled would be a better term) on my laptop...Grr...and sat and looked at videos and forums online.

As you can see in my sig, I have found some cool stuff on my yard. And that is just coins listed. I have found numerous really old buttons, toys, square nails, etc.

I started on an Ace 350 my wife bought my as a surprise present- I had never thought about metal detecting, but she thought I would like it.

She was right!!

So, much to her dismay- about 2 months after starting, and reading..I knew I wanted more info about what I was swinging over so I bought an AT Pro.

The AT Pro was very good to me. I found a LOT of awesome stuff in many places with it. Most of the stuff I found in my yard was with it.

I used it for about a year, and then wanted more so I bought a CTX. I have found a ton more great stuff with it in the last 14 months or so- but not much in my yard.

Right when I bought the CTX I had decided to build a test bed in my yard (little under 2.5 acres)

I cleared an area of any signals and then buried 2 rows of targets. One flat in a hole, then another hole to the right with the target placed upright.

All targets exactly at 6 inches- pull tabs, bottle caps, zinc penny, copper penny, nickels, dimes, quarters, then targets mixed with nails, including a silver dime.

GUESS WHAT???

Once done- went over with the CTX and don't get any signals. Regardless of coil size - I have the 6, 11, 17. Tried again with the At Pro, which I also have a 17 coil for as well- NADA!!!

My yard was farm land for a long long time. I don't know if the fertilizer is what causes it- but I was honestly flabergasted, and honestly mentally defeated (sounds better than depressed)...and basically haven't spent much time searching my yard since then...

Very frustrating to realize how much could be there that we just aren't seeing. I know it is there, I put it there, 6 inches- with a ruler on each hole.

So along comes the Nox- and I am reading / watching things where it *sees* targets that the other detectors simply don't. Yes- even the CTX.

Well - I bought one and am going to see whats what.

Today is sunny and 43 surprisingly. The snow is melting fast. We are down now from 12 inch to probably 3-4 if I had to guess looking out the window.

I know that the detectors will loose signal quickly once raised even 2-3 inches off the ground but I don't care- I am going to sign off now, get changed and head out to see how this thing works.

A true test- head to head- will come once the snow melts completely in the next few days.

I know I am giving up a lot of info VS the CTX as far as trying to figure out *what* the signal is as far as could it be trash, etc... but none of that matters if I am not *getting* a signal.

And besides- if this really works Minelab will be making a CTnox soon enough I am sure.

Ahhh'll be baaaaccck.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a foot of snow yesterday/overnight. Oh yea- and my new toy.

So I assembled it, charged (crawled would be a better term) on my laptop...Grr...and sat and looked at videos and forums online.

As you can see in my sig, I have found some cool stuff on my yard. And that is just coins listed. I have found numerous really old buttons, toys, square nails, etc.

I started on an Ace 350 my wife bought my as a surprise present- I had never thought about metal detecting, but she thought I would like it.

She was right!!

So, much to her dismay- about 2 months after starting, and reading..I knew I wanted more info about what I was swinging over so I bought an AT Pro.

The AT Pro was very good to me. I found a LOT of awesome stuff in many places with it. Most of the stuff I found in my yard was with it.

I used it for about a year, and then wanted more so I bought a CTX. I have found a ton more great stuff with it in the last 14 months or so- but not much in my yard.

Right when I bought the CTX I had decided to build a test bed in my yard (little under 2.5 acres)

I cleared an area of any signals and then buried 2 rows of targets. One flat in a hole, then another hole to the right with the target placed upright.

All targets exactly at 6 inches- pull tabs, bottle caps, zinc penny, copper penny, nickels, dimes, quarters, then targets mixed with nails, including a silver dime.

GUESS WHAT???

Once done- went over with the CTX and don't get any signals. Regardless of coil size - I have the 6, 11, 17. Tried again with the At Pro, which I also have a 17 coil for as well- NADA!!!

My yard was farm land for a long long time. I don't know if the fertilizer is what causes it- but I was honestly flabergasted, and honestly mentally defeated (sounds better than depressed)...and basically haven't spent much time searching my yard since then...

Very frustrating to realize how much could be there that we just aren't seeing. I know it is there, I put it there, 6 inches- with a ruler on each hole.

So along comes the Nox- and I am reading / watching things where it *sees* targets that the other detectors simply don't. Yes- even the CTX.

Well - I bought one and am going to see whats what.

Today is sunny and 43 surprisingly. The snow is melting fast. We are down now from 12 inch to probably 3-4 if I had to guess looking out the window.

I know that the detectors will loose signal quickly once raised even 2-3 inches off the ground but I don't care- I am going to sign off now, get changed and head out to see how this thing works.

A true test- head to head- will come once the snow melts completely in the next few days.

I know I am giving up a lot of info VS the CTX as far as trying to figure out *what* the signal is as far as could it be trash, etc... but none of that matters if I am not *getting* a signal.

And besides- if this really works Minelab will be making a CTnox soon enough I am sure.

Ahhh'll be baaaaccck.
Can't wait as I am also coming off from using a Ctx

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow 6 inches!? And you ground balanced those machines properly??

With the equinox:

1) Turn down sensitivity a little (under 20)
2) Do noise cancel with coil in the air
3) Ground balance (or turn on auto tracking ground balance)
4) Turn sensitivity back up
5) Report back! Interested to hear your results

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dubs
I think that somewhere in the world a very Big Snow Storm means good luck !
BangHead.gif

So good luck with your new machine ...hope you enjoy it .
Gary

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No signals through the snow. All I did was make my feet wet and cold. :)

Soon enouh though... melt snow melt...

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No signals through the snow. All I did was make my feet wet and cold. :)

Soon enouh though... melt snow melt...
Just go ahead and send me the detector and I'll go check it out in my sunny 50 degree weather I'll do it free of charge 🤣🤣[emoji23][emoji23]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 6 inches!? And you ground balanced those machines properly??

With the equinox:

1) Turn down sensitivity a little (under 20)
2) Do noise cancel with coil in the air
3) Ground balance (or turn on auto tracking ground balance)
4) Turn sensitivity back up
5) Report back! Interested to hear your results

No, STOP GROUND BALANCING. Read your manual, it clearly says to set a ground balance only when there is excessive ground noise. Through snow? GB should be in the preset "0" setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread