Minelab Equinox 800 Shortage Theory

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I want to say that I am not accusing our supporting venders/dealers here on Tnet of this but I have recently realized something. When I tried to order an Equinox 800 I called/contacted every Minelab dealer I could think of to find the shortest wait time....all had good size waiting lists. But why is it that there are a few individuals on ebay who continue to post new 800's for sale in the 1200-1400 dollar price range? My theory is that there are some shady Minelab dealers out there whom I am sure have pre order lists to fill of guys who have already paid for their machines at around $899......but instead of sending them their machines that have been paid for they are selling them on ebay for a ridiculous price.... I seen a guy on ebay this morning with an Equinox 800 new for $1325 and had 4 available!! That is a dealer for sure!!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are flippers in every hobby and industry imaginable. Sometimes insiders/employees with an advantage over everyone else, sometimes people that get on wait lists early with intent to flip. I suspect that many of these flips are from people that ordered multiple machines from Cabelas. Contact the seller and ask if they have the original receipt to register the warranty. Then you'll find out if they are truly a price-gouging dealer or a just another flipper capitalizing on supply/demand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure that is the case, I looked at history of a couple selling the Equinox 800 and they have sold every thing from a detector to the kitchen sink.

I think it is closer to what Echoplex said, most likely someone order multiple units from cabelas and are selling them.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't get the huge demand of the 800 over the 600. You will find stuff with the 600 that other detectors have missed. I know I have. It shares the two best features with the 800(multi mode, waterproof) and it is still plenty fast at its highest setting.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get the huge demand of the 800 over the 600. You will find stuff with the 600 that other detectors have missed. I know I have. It shares the two best features with the 800(multi mode, waterproof) and it is still plenty fast at its highest setting.

You never know when those extra bells and whistles will come in handy.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know when those extra bells and whistles will come in handy.

Unless I'm doing some gold prospecting, which you probably could still do well in multimode, or want to assign a high tone to a nickel, then what else. Headphones and WMO8 module are the price difference to me.

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I'm doing some gold prospecting, which you probably could still do well in multimode, or want to assign a high tone to a nickel, then what else. Headphones and WMO8 module are the price difference to me.

How do you like it so far?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you like it so far?

I haven't used my Deus in over a week but my wrist is a little sore. Other than that and the insanely bright backlight, I love it. I will caution that I have had problems with EMI when near power lines and running in multimode. Using single frequency around power lines though it is very quiet

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about making a DIY back light filter out of Red transparent material this weekend. I tried using the back light at the park last night but couldn't stand to have it on for more than 30sec. Its fine when there is still some daylight but in the dark it's just too much. I've noticed I'm digging more pennies but they have all been copper pennies so I can live with that.

GulfcoastCletus

Greenie
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do what I did... went to minelab site and got all dealers ... sent email to each one, inquiring about purchasing one in stock. Found several.

Also be sure to check the smaller places. Found several for users here, at bill Jackson's in tampa.

They can be had if you look hard enough.

Happy hunting!

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked into my dealer today. Had to get my son a pinpointed.....there were two guys there wanting to buy a atmax....I never thought much of it....then I seen a 600 on the shelf...I called the two guys over and chatted them up a bit....they never herd of the equinox. I chatted some more and they called the sailsman over and asked is the 600 a better machine? He replayed. Yes. They walked out the door with the equinox 600.
On my way home I thought that salesman never made any attempt to sell the 600
At all....I,m guessing the garrets are slow moving and he was pleased to sell it....I thought it was strange...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Equinox 600 To 800 Comparison Chart.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest Samuel, life is strange. Toasted, your wrist will hurt, have you figured out why? (hint: find the center of gravity on the shaft.) Multifrequency will always have a problem around power sources. I have to switch frequencies occasionally on my machines around power sources, so this is a known thing. It won't go away. (Unless there is a power outage.) And I don't think there is any big conspiracy here. Some of the Ebay folks believed the hype, bought several with the intention of jacking up the price to make a buck. Same thing happens with sports tickets, etc. BTW they're supposed to pay income tax on the profit!:laughing7:

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be funny if they got stuck with about 4 or 5 of them that they couldn't sell, but we know they will. I will wait for the 800 for the price difference I want the extras including the minelab wireless phones and the more finely adjustable recovery speed and the additional frequencies. As for emi issues, I hunted with a f75 ltd for a year before the upgrade so im sure I can handle the Equinox. And the Gpx seems like it can pick up an electric fence at 500 yards....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggerinva, you are right, they just might get stuck with a couple. That's is a chance they are taking. The GPX was way heavy for me, but I didn't know it could pick up EMI...from space.:laughing7:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off I want to say that I am not accusing our supporting venders/dealers here on Tnet of this but I have recently realized something. When I tried to order an Equinox 800 I called/contacted every Minelab dealer I could think of to find the shortest wait time....all had good size waiting lists. But why is it that there are a few individuals on ebay who continue to post new 800's for sale in the 1200-1400 dollar price range? My theory is that there are some shady Minelab dealers out there whom I am sure have pre order lists to fill of guys who have already paid for their machines at around $899......but instead of sending them their machines that have been paid for they are selling them on ebay for a ridiculous price.... I seen a guy on ebay this morning with an Equinox 800 new for $1325 and had 4 available!! That is a dealer for sure!!

Maybe but maybe not. I purchased two so I could sell one at a profit to cover a new set of headphones. I sold it for $1200.

The fees on that action after paypal were $200 plus shipping... so in the end I only made about $50. :(

But you could be right....4 available?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Ebay and paypal fees cut into any profit.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can say that the person I purchased one from didnt have an interest in detecting... but he was "given" several equinoxes from a friend who was big into detecting. The friend however was not using an equinox. (?)

I came to the conclusion that the friend probably worked for a dealer and was able to score a few machines at cost and have his friend sell them for him on ebay and they split the profit.

Just a guess on my part btw.

Joke's on his friend for not keeping the 800

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as i know, a dealer can ask anything he or she wants for a machine. As long as they don't advertise the item for less than MAP, Minimum Advertised Price, the sky is the limit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread