Finally a score

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been digging nuts and bolts pieces of nails / nails and tiny bits of metal . It seems my ATP did a real good job at cleaning my sites .I decided to hit the curb strip in front of my house . Although it was only four inches deep I will take it . Solid reading but soft . I have been having trouble getting depth .My first O mint mark on any coin . 1902 o.JPG 1902.JPG

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beauty!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I have been digging nuts and bolts pieces of nails / nails and tiny bits of metal . It seems my ATP did a real good job at cleaning my sites .I decided to hit the curb strip in front of my house . Although it was only four inches deep I will take it . Solid reading but soft . I have been having trouble getting depth .My first O mint mark on any coin . View attachment 1571223 View attachment 1571224

First off, congrats on the barber, that's a nice find :thumbsup:

Second, on the depth issue, you mentioned that you also use an ATP. With the factory 11" DD ATP coil, what kind of depth were you getting with that?

What settings are you using on the EQ (is it an EQ600 or EQ800)?

Are you ground balancing the EQ?

I had an ATP years ago, and sold it off because in our west coast mineralized soil, although it was a decent unmasker (better then my F75) depth was just average, below the F75, but better then some other detectors I had.

HH,
Cal

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done. She's a beauty. 🙌

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold off both of my ATP . I was using the 5x8 coil and my ground is very forgiving . Nice soft black top soil . Gold and silver come out of the ground like new most of the time . I found a 1903 S mint dime on edge with the 5x8 coil at 9 inches . It was after a heavy rain and the signal was very very iffy .

I have the equinox 800 park 2 tones from 50 to 5 noise cancelled and GB Raise the sensitivity a couple of numbers . I am having trouble getting more than six inches ( yet ) . I do not even have ten hours on it .It is heavier than my deus but I can live with it . Still battling frozen ground here and my season has just started .

First off, congrats on the barber, that's a nice find :thumbsup:

Second, on the depth issue, you mentioned that you also use an ATP. With the factory 11" DD ATP coil, what kind of depth were you getting with that?

What settings are you using on the EQ (is it an EQ600 or EQ800)?

Are you ground balancing the EQ?

I had an ATP years ago, and sold it off because in our west coast mineralized soil, although it was a decent unmasker (better then my F75) depth was just average, below the F75, but better then some other detectors I had.

HH,
Cal

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome "O", congratulations!:occasion14:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done....

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold off both of my ATP . I was using the 5x8 coil and my ground is very forgiving . Nice soft black top soil . Gold and silver come out of the ground like new most of the time . I found a 1903 S mint dime on edge with the 5x8 coil at 9 inches . It was after a heavy rain and the signal was very very iffy .

I have the equinox 800 park 2 tones from 50 to 5 noise cancelled and GB Raise the sensitivity a couple of numbers . I am having trouble getting more than six inches ( yet ) . I do not even have ten hours on it .It is heavier than my deus but I can live with it . Still battling frozen ground here and my season has just started .

Have you tried with GB at 0? I dont think you are supposed to GB unless it is falsing. Coming from a Tesoro Vaquero, in my soil, this makes sense. With a GB of 0 on my 600, I am running a pretty decent negative ground balance, and not getting falsing, which should give more depth.

I have only had my 600 out in my yard which has already been hammered by a Vaquero and ATGold, but it definitely feels pretty deep. GB 0, Iron Descrim 0, Recovery 2 (=4 on 800), park 2. Noise canceled with coil in the air, sensitivity at about 22-23 (one shy of chatty). I thought I would need more Iron Descrim in my trashy yard, but by running in All Metal I have been able to call every single trash target before I dig it, with less than 2 hours on the machine. The audio nuance is excellent if you ask me, even coming from a Vaquero. Trash is crunchy, broken, chirpy, sandwiched by low tones ala "Iron Audio", etc etc even with no descrim. Being able to quickly double check a target with the press of a button in 10khz is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I GB it seemed to hit the target better than not . I was not GB at all because I could not find a clean spot clear of metal . I did it anyway and it seemed to help.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the equinox 800 park 2 tones from 50 to 5 noise cancelled and GB Raise the sensitivity a couple of numbers . I am having trouble getting more than six inches ( yet ).

That is a sweet little Barber!

What about your sensitivity, recovery, and bias? Those will have a huge impact on depth. You have great ground, a little better than mine. I'm balanced between 8-12. FWIW, when I am hitting deep coins my settings are usually like this: Park2 or Field2, 23 Sens, 4 Recovery, 0-1 Bias. Maybe it is possible that you simply haven't swung over any coins that were deeper than 6 inches? Good luck and keep us updated!

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on 6 recovery , do you noise cancel and GB ?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on 6 recovery , do you noise cancel and GB ?

Yes, I do both. Keep in mind both noise cancel and ground balance are local settings to the mode you are running, so if you switch from Park1 to Park2, you need to repeat. Recovery and Bias are also local settings, so make sure you adjust accordingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread