Be careful removing the charger from the Equinox

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to even admit it but I managed to break a plastic piece of the charging cable the first time I removed the charger. The natural thing for me to do was place my finger behind where the cord and the charger meet. It really didn't take that much force to break it. Make sure to pull straight up or straight out. Don't pull up on (the area that seems most natural) the plastic near the 90 degree angle.

OO

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 4.02.23 PM.png

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will it still work or do you have to replace it?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen posts on other forums about the ‘plug’ splitting at the seam where the plastic is ‘welded’ together.

Tread lightly.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like sideways works better for removal the few times I've taken it off.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I charge mine on the iPhone X wireless charger.

.... ok, so maybe not, but someday! But while we are at it, why not make the kinetic energy of moving the coil back & forth, charge the battery by turning the "Kinetic Charging ON" option in the settings? :)

OP
OP
O

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, It does still function. My heart absolutely dropped when I heard the pop and saw plastic flying. At that moment, I thought the magnetic connection was flush on the connector side so I was sure I broke my detector before I even used it.

I just want to make sure other people don't make the same mistake. It was the natural place to try and "lift" the cord. I read the manual before I received the detector but I must have brushed over this portion.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made in China by the cheapest bidder? Oh come on Minelab!

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hook some dental floss around the plastic, not the wire, and pull sideways

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab says slide it sideways. My 1st charge I did it the way you described and although it didn't break it didn't come off easy so I read again and it said slide sideways and I believe it even said or pull it straight up but is slips right out sideways

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, It does still function. My heart absolutely dropped when I heard the pop and saw plastic flying. At that moment, I thought the magnetic connection was flush on the connector side so I was sure I broke my detector before I even used it.

I just want to make sure other people don't make the same mistake. It was the natural place to try and "lift" the cord. I read the manual before I received the detector but I must have brushed over this portion.

If you have the 800 then you do have a backup magnetic charge cable because one is also provided for the WM08 wireless module. If you have it, keep that backup in a fire safe, lol because you have no options to charge the damn thing if you break it other than removing the internal battery and putting it in a standard LI ION CR cell charger, and with the battery pigtails, I am not even sure that will work.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said it was good or bad, just putting it out there for accuracy...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assuming that you are sending it back to Minelab for a warranty replacement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread