My best hunt thus far with the Equinox 800...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a good hunt today -- best one yet, with the Equinox.

I acquired permission late last fall to hunt a home built in 1904 in town, and have been there several times, with the CTX3030. During those hunts, I dug a couple of Barber dimes, a Merc, a Rosie, a number of wheats, a few tokens -- plus a few interesting relic-type items and some clad.
However, finds had started to taper off, and so I hadn't returned in awhile. Today, armed with the Equinox, I wanted to see if I could pull out another keeper or two. My focus was actually on hoping to find a gold ring -- so my intent was to dig a variety of tones in the sub-nickel to pull-tab range.

So, I arrived thinking "gold ring," and my very first target dig was this large men's SILVER ring (not gold, but I'll take it!)

4-16-18ringrotcrop.JPG

A short while later, this showed up (I'm almost sure I must have made a rookie mistake, as I think this was in the same plug as a Barber dime I recovered on an earlier hunt with the CTX -- OOPS)...

4-16-18Merc1927Drotcrop.JPG

A 1927-D Merc.

Then, I got a rather odd, deep tone, but it sounded good enough to dig...

4-16-18IndianHeads(1864 and 1904)rotcrop.JPG

These were in the same hole -- the first one on-edge, I believe, and then the second still in the wall of the plug. While recovering these two coins, the husband and wife who own the home happened to come over to see how I was doing. They got to see me recover the coins, one at a time. When I pulled the first one (1904), I could see it was the most beautiful Indian I'd ever dug, with a gorgeous verdigris pattern -- and also in exceptional condition. The homeowners were really excited to see me recover the coin, and when I told them what year it was, they said "wow, that's the year our house was built!" So, I knew at that point that the owners needed to have that one -- so I offered it up, which they hesitantly but excitedly accepted! They plan to frame/display it, as part of the history of the home! I then recovered the second -- and all three of us were shocked, as it was dated 1864 -- a Civil War-era Indian!

After talking with the homeowners for a bit, I continued on. I dug another Indian Head (1900), sandwiched between two V-nickel digs (1897 and a "dateless" one). Finally, to end the day, I got a deep signal amongst some trashy lower tones, that I could coax a rather consistent low 20s ID from. I thought maybe it was another deep Indian Head, but the Indians I had dug were generally upper teens, so I was not sure on this one (especially hearing the other nearby trash/iron). So, I removed a deep plug, and sweeping the side of the plug, I could now hear a good high tone, with 25-26-27 ID numbers. SILVER numbers! From about 7" or so, I ended the day on a silver note!

4-16-18BarberDime1912Drotcrop.JPG

1912-D Barber Dime!

I was REALLY impressed with the Equinox on this hunt. I know for CERTAIN I passed over the hole with the two Indian Heads, the 1900 Indian Head, and the Barber Dime, with the CTX, and for whatever reason was not convinced to dig. I also missed the nickels, but that doesn't surprise me, as I still have a hard time with nickels on the CTX. NOT SO, with the Equinox. The ring was shallow, and a penny-type signal, so I probably ignored it, thinking "shallow Memorial." Overall though, a very, very good hunt was facilitated by the Equinox, in an area I thought was "petering out" after being hunted multiple times with the CTX. Since 90 percent of the hunts I've taken with the Equinox have been to my local park that I've cleaned nearly "bare" over the past 7 years, and thus the good coin finds with the Equinox rather sparse, today was a great confidence builder with the still-new-to-me machine.

4-16-18Coinsrotcrop.JPG

4-16-18Findsrotcrop.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Steve

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesom. I'm very excited my 600 will be in my hands this week..

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Larwar! Take your time to learn its language, and you will be rewarded. This is a really good machine. I am impressed...

Steve

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a perfect looking Indian like that last year and nicked it with my shovel. I'm still sick over it!

I know its not worth anything but makes me mad all the same.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, all! eman, I hear you. Don't you just hate it when you "nick" a coin?

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! Let me know when you get back to this area. We will have to get out and dig.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Congrats :notworthy:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A really well done post sgoss66.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how much jewelry people lost in their own lawns.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice hunt, congrats!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, everyone!

HighVDI -- will do! Last week in June, into the middle of July we have our trip planned...

smokeythecat -- indeed. It is definitely surprising how much jewelry is lost in folks' own yards!

Steve

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the the nice old coin shooting! :occasion14: That is an interesting silver ring!:icon_thumleft:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a great testament for the equinox. Congrats

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, gents!

Steve

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves on all the old coins. Silver to boot. I’d say that’s a good day.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Hawks! It was a good day, indeed. Always good when digging old coins!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread