Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
was just wondering why you would spec a mono connector ?

also can you unscrew the connector to see if it was waterproofed inside...most just use a two part epoxy,some just pass that step.

I am not sure exactly what you meant by the spec part. The head phone adapter would be nice. I am just looking at utilizing things that I already have, something that has been engrained in me from the "waste not want not years...my father rebuilt or modified a lot of things to fit what he needed and so do I if able. I used to have little problem doing these things but now have to be more selective on what I attempt to do. I have the Z-LYNK and I also have some waterproof headsets so if I don't have to buy the 800 for the wireless set up, I won't. I would simply disconnect the cord from the existing headset which from what I understand, is very intolerable to water period. I may add the existing cord from the waterproof set to this cord to make a longer cord if needed, simply soldering the wires and sealing them. I Try to research everything out as best as I can before i make a purchase, I tend to be a little slow at understanding things now. In my past life (before the brain aneurysm and strokes) I worked with electronics from Air Force training.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BT wireless transmitter and separate ML proprietary wireless transmitter are both built into the control module of both the 600 and 800 (they are identical in this respect). It is just that ML chose not to include BT headphones or the ML proprietary wireless receiver with the 600 to keep costs down. Sure you can plug the Z-lynk transmitter into the Equinox h/p jack of the control module (and may need an additional adapter to mate the Z-lynk with the recessed mini headphone jack on the control pod) but then you will have this wireless transmitter awkwardly hanging off the Equinox control pod on a detector that already has two wireless transmitters built-in, or you can spend about $20 for BT APTX low latency earbuds or $30 - $60 for full size BT APTX LL headphones and not have any claptrap hanging off your detector.

Note also that ML will be separately selling the wireless headphones and receiver hardware that is included with the 800 for $400 and the price delta between the 600 and 800 is only $250. Kind of nuts. If you can swing the extra dough for the 800, I highly recommend it. If you get the 600, I recommend getting the much cheaper 3rd party BT APTX LL headphones.

Regardless, for either detector, if you are going submerged, you are going to have to spring for full up waterproof headphones with the right waterproof connector to fit the mini jack on the control pod that will cost anywhere from $125 to $150 for third party compatible or ML Equinox WP phones.

HTH

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirt looter,.my reply was direct to diggin-it.he used a mono connector I was wondering why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A BT wireless transmitter and separate ML proprietary wireless transmitter are both built into the control module of both the 600 and 800 (they are identical in this respect). It is just that ML chose not to include BT headphones or the ML proprietary wireless receiver with the 600 to keep costs down. Sure you can plug the Z-lynk transmitter into the Equinox h/p jack of the control module (and may need an additional adapter to mate the Z-lynk with the recessed mini headphone jack on the control pod) but then you will have this wireless transmitter awkwardly hanging off the Equinox control pod on a detector that already has two wireless transmitters built-in, or you can spend about $20 for BT APTX low latency earbuds or $30 - $60 for full size BT APTX LL headphones and not have any claptrap hanging off your detector.

Note also that ML will be separately selling the wireless headphones and receiver hardware that is included with the 800 for $400 and the price delta between the 600 and 800 is only $250. Kind of nuts. If you can swing the extra dough for the 800, I highly recommend it. If you get the 600, I recommend getting the much cheaper 3rd party BT APTX LL headphones.

Regardless, for either detector, if you are going submerged, you are going to have to spring for full up waterproof headphones with the right waterproof connector to fit the mini jack on the control pod that will cost anywhere from $125 to $150 for third party compatible or ML Equinox WP phones.

HTH

okay, this makes more sense now. I would go with the cheaper APTX if I do go with the 600. it didn't click that the 600 was actually BT as is just no BT head phones. I actually have a set of BT phones that might work. So, if this is the case, then I might package the Z-Lynk with the GOLD to sell on Ebay. I won't have a need for them then or now. Thanks again Hugh for my meandering. Jerry

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

NP. I just want you to make an informed decision, so I can live vicariously through all those awesome silver finds you make in your little slice of Arkansas heaven. :icon_thumleft:

Def give your BT headphones a whirl and if you experience too much lag, consider picking up a pair of reasonably priced BT APTX Low Latency H/P.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A downside, as of now, with the NOX series in the water is the water friction drag the large 11" coil will create...once the 6" comes out it should be a dream in the water.

Ted,

I have been asking some frequent water hunters who are using the Equinox about coil drag, and so far they are saying it is pretty smooth even with the 11" coil, you seem to be having a different experience. Have you found it to be that bad? Thanks.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted,

I have been asking some frequent water hunters who are using the Equinox about coil drag, and so far they are saying it is pretty smooth even with the 11" coil, you seem to be having a different experience. Have you found it to be that bad? Thanks.
To be honest haven't had it in the water yet...just trying to think logically I suppose...more surface area...more drag...ect...

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People using the Equinox in water say the coil drag is minimal. I don't think anyone can stay in the water long enough for the coil drag to affect them much

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder if you turn-off or not use the transmit function on the Equinox and use the Garrett Z-Lynk accessory, if you own it, would the battery life life of the Equinox be extended a noticeable amount of time? :dontknow:

Just thinking out loud.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably right, Professor.

However, at 12+ hours per charge, Equinox easily lasts for a day of digging and you can operate the detector while you charge it off a power bank. Plus, with the Z Lynks you have to worry about making sure the Z-lynk transmitter battery is charged, making an additional battery you have to worry about.

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you turn-off or not use the transmit function on the Equinox and use the Garrett Z-Lynk accessory, if you own it, would the battery life life of the Equinox be extended a noticeable amount of time? :dontknow:

Just thinking out loud.

I would think there would be. if it were to be big enough for you to see might be questionable. the z link (dair I coin the term zink) takes its signal from the headphone jack. the headphone jack when in use turns off the speaker and wireless circuitry. if anything you would see less load on the system as the headphone jack would not be powering any drivers only sending a low current signal to the zink.(Segway)
if I had the zink I would us it as it will allow you to hear the new garret AT pro zlink pinpointer though the head set like the new deus setup...(just with some wires attached)....if I didn't own the pinpointer i would wait....rumblings are the profind 35 are having some hardware problems...this might be a good chance for mine lab to upgrade the 35 to the profind-35Z. yes I said it...the minelab pinpointer that you can hear through the equinox 850 head set...:headbang:

you just never know...(well it might be possible with a equinox update)

I have had the profind 35 but returned it...I've used the carrot since it first came out...haven't seen anything come close to it....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions