Someone had asked for a review of the EQ at a hunted out park a while back.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING! You gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Great digs!

Steve

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Park 2 / noise cancel / GB or tracking sens 23 recovery 6 or 7 . I ran a ATP then a deus so I have never had a thresh hold before .It is at 0 . Seems I do not hit anything deeper than seven inches this way . I dug a mason jar lid at a foot and it was giving a nice coin signal but was very soft and weak like a dime .Besides large junk I have not pulled a coin of any size deeper than seven inches .

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 2 / noise cancel / GB or tracking sens 23 recovery 6 or 7 . I ran a ATP then a deus so I have never had a thresh hold before .It is at 0 . Seems I do not hit anything deeper than seven inches this way . I dug a mason jar lid at a foot and it was giving a nice coin signal but was very soft and weak like a dime .Besides large junk I have not pulled a coin of any size deeper than seven inches .

Sens is high for learning the machine. Back it off to 20.

7" is probably about right if running 7 recovery speed depending on your soil. Give 4-6 a try depending on amount of iron

Iron Bias is a big factor too, and probably a weak point of this machine. Try iron bias of 0-2, and learn the audio clues vs relying on the machine to eliminate all iron.

What is your GB number?

EDIT: Little more info on sensitivity - There is a good post from vf... about signal to noise ratio. SNR is huge with this machine. You dont want to just back off sensitivity for chatter, you need to learn when it starts falsing and masking due to the high gain.

Last edited:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 to 12 inches on the dimes, and sounded strong. Wheats were the same. That's probably the thickness of the wonderful fill they put over these fields. Dimes rang 28 to 30 and wheats 21 to 22.

Thank you for the report/pics! Exactly my experience. All my silver dimes are hitting hard at 28/29/30 and they are the only object that hits in that range. Deepest so far is 10" in a filled field. Keeping hitting those pounded spots before more Noxes are in circulation. People are catching on!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lucky to hit anything the size of a quarter at seven inches . Very nice hunt you had and I was hoping for the same at my hunted out spots . Not so much . I found a button at each of my sites and thats it . I was really hoping this one spot would open back up . I found so many good things there I was sure the eq800 would kill it again . One button in two hours so I gave up .

My old yard gave up a few coins but it is dead again already . I need new ground . I am starting to question leaving the deus at home . Much lighter and it kills at ten inches consistently . My tdi on the eq800 is all over the place any deeper that six inches . My ground is very mild . I may have gotten a lemon ?

Merc,

Looks like you may have tried my suggestion to dial back down on the sens and up the recovery speed both back closer to the defaults (intentionally or not, lol). EQX works a little differently than Deus, you need to be careful about brute force over driving it for depth because you just raise the noise floor. The default settings are good and only small tweaks from them should be attempted. One additional suggestion I will make is that the 1 modes (i.e., Park 1/Field 1) are weighted towards the lower frequencies and will tend to hit silver harder than Park 2 which is geared more towards mid conductors and small jewelry. Did you try Park 1 at or near the defaults (the only change I would make on Park 1 is lowering iron bias in thick iron).

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger460 - You on the other hand should not change a thing. You have it dialed in, apparently. Lol.

Nice saves.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will give park one a shot . I have been sticking with park two trying to dial it in . GB manual getting around 32 and in tracking I seen it at 67 . Is park one any deeper or just the same ? Deus has spoiled me weight wise .For what ever reason my shoulder is killing me . I hope the six inch coil is way lighter . I seen it will be $180 and available in mid may or early june . If it separates better than the eleven it will clean the ground of everything six inches deep and up .

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I will give park one a shot . I have been sticking with park two trying to dial it in . GB manual getting around 32 and in tracking I seen it at 67 . Is park one any deeper or just the same ? Deus has spoiled me weight wise .For what ever reason my shoulder is killing me . I hope the six inch coil is way lighter . I seen it will be $180 and available in mid may or early june . If it separates better than the eleven it will clean the ground of everything six inches deep and up .

I tried park 2 when I was out there, and not many signals at all. Like VF said park1 seems to be set up to hit the deep silver hard.

On your other statement of ergonomics. I was thinking the same thing, it felt coil heavy, but then I shortened the shaft 2 notches , and the cuff adjusted 1 from the end. Made all the difference in the world. Swings right in front of the feet. No pain.

Did want to add something. Some of those deep signals I could have easily missed because I was swinging to fast. I think I had it in my head after watching so many vid's on the recovery speed, that I could swing at a pretty good clip. After the one's that I could have missed, I slowed down a bit. 2 to 3 seconds a sweep. Keep that in mind too. Can still cover alot of area. Good Luck!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The six inch coil should be a good add.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Park 1 should be deeper on silver than Park 2.
Also note that ground balance is MultiIQ dependent so the GB reading you get on Park 1 may be very different than the one you were getting on Park 2 because the Multi IQ algorithm and frequency profile is different between the two modes. This is another difference from Deus.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better separation and unmasking in trashy situations and I could have used it in the thickets hunting for CW minie balls at an overgrown shooting range. Don't think the depth penalty will be too bad either.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same as digger, I adjusted my shaft and cuff and I have no balance or weight issues. I seem to prefer park 2 but which is best in a very trashy park and I do mean trashy with 1000's of bottle caps and tabs

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the same as digger, I adjusted my shaft and cuff and I have no balance or weight issues. I seem to prefer park 2 but which is best in a very trashy park and I do mean trashy with 1000's of bottle caps and tabs

:laughing7: I know what you mean about those bottle caps. Once I saw they were ringing 25, I left them right where they are. Lightened up the ole pouch!

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Better separation and unmasking in trashy situations and I could have used it in the thickets hunting for CW minie balls at an overgrown shooting range. Don't think the depth penalty will be too bad either.

Can't imagine it being better at separation and unmasking. Bring it on:icon_thumleft:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved my shaft shorter and my cuff back and now I am kicking my coil. I am 6 ft 2 inches tall so I am either hunched over short shaft or longer shaft killing my arm / shoulder . I hope the six inch coil fixes this for me . I found five wheat pennies at a spot I pounded real good for a couple of years using park 2 . None deeper than six inches . I am working on a new permission and if I get it I will run the eq800 first then take the deus back over it later on . Just ordered a power bank to add more weight to complain about . I am hoping mounting the power bank under the cuff and the six inch coil should dial it in perfect for swinging I hope .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread