Metal Detecting

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the auto ground balance function while pumping the coil until it is silent. This seems sufficient for me as I tested by doing it manual a few times and the auto was always within 5 numbers.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto ground balance here.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run at the default setting of zero, works in my soil just fine.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

I haven't seen any posts on this. I was wondering what is everyones prefered method for ground balancing with the 800, and why?

Also - any negatives to always running in "tracking" mode? Some areas I hunt are literally full of trash, which makes it difficult to get an accurate/consistent ground balance number.

Thanks!

Have you read what the manual says about using ground balance?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just started using my 800 this past weekend running in auto ground balance, will continue to run in default settings until I become more familiar with the machine.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started using my 800 this past weekend running in auto ground balance, will continue to run in default settings until I become more familiar with the machine.

there is no "auto ground balance" in defaults. Are you saying you are running it at zero, as the factory preset is?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a misconception that when you get a new machine you should run it exactly the way it is right out of the box.

Park,Field,Beach are there for a reason and so is ground balance. Having said that I believe with the equinox under most soil conditions you will be just fine. You may lose some depth but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when learning a new machine anyway.

For example sensitivity, I believe is by default set at 20 and you can't get within 3ft of a playground pole. Turn that down to 10 or less and you might find quarters close to those poles or under metal slides.

Our parks have a lot of metal slides with rollers and I have found a lot of clad just by adjusting the sensitivity down and getting under those slides.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a misconception that when you get a new machine you should run it exactly the way it is right out of the box.

Park,Field,Beach are there for a reason and so is ground balance. Having said that I believe with the equinox under most soil conditions you will be just fine. You may lose some depth but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when learning a new machine anyway.

Once again, HAVE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS? Or did you just decide you knew better?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is no "auto ground balance" in defaults. Are you saying you are running it at zero, as the factory preset is?

Yes meant to say running at zero as factory preset.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terminology:

Ground balance - balancing the machine to use the ground phase conductivity as the zero point conductivity reference from which any conductive targets will be detected.

Mineralization - the level of oxidized ferrous material in the soil (basically rust particles, typically magnetite - Fe3O4) in the soil which has a signficant impact on ground phase reading but is not the ONLY factor that determines ground phase.

Manual Ground Balance - In settings, under Ground Balance, pumping the coil and manually adjusting the ground balance number +/- to make ground feedback noise go away.

Auto Ground Balance - In settings, Under Ground Balance, pumping the coil while simultaneously holding down the accept/reject button and letting the machine choose the ground balance number

Tracking Ground Balance - In settings, Under Ground Balance, hit the accept/reject button once until the ground balance tracking symbol (sinusoidal waveform icon) appears on the screen - enables automatic ground balance adjustment on the fly while swinging the coil. Should only be used when there is enough ground mineralization or salinity fluctuations that the tracking algorithm can detect and latch onto.

Misconceptions:

"High Ground Balance numbers indicate high mineralization" - you cannot infer the level of mineralization from the displayed GB number. Mineralization does effect ground phase reading but so do other factors such as moisture content and salinity content. You need a separate mineralization (Fe3O4) meter to determine the level of soil mineralization. Unfortunately, the Equinox doesn't have one.

"Ground Balance at the beginning of my detecting session and I am all set." Not true for the Equinox because Ground Balance is a mode specific parameter, so if you ground balance for one mode and then switch modes, you should ground balance again for that new mode. Not you will likely get a different GB number for that mode on the same patch of ground because each mode's Multi IQ profile is unique and will result in a different "mode compatible" ground balance number.

"I NEED to ground balance every time I use the detector." Yes and No. For 80 to 90% of detecting situations, the Equinox can handle either the default ground balance settings or a non-optimal ground balance setting pretty well, so you don't have to ground balance. It makes sense to do it however, because it is a fairly quick and easy thing to do when you start out for your session. No need to get OCD about it and rebalance constantly unless you are noticing issues such as increased ground feedback noise an jumpy ferrous TID's (-8/-7 TIDs) on every swing or if you know with certainty that ground mineralization and salinity will cause significant swings in ground phase over the plot of ground you are detecting (then Tracking Ground Balance may be more convenient then constantly manually or auto ground balancing your detector).

Ground Balance is a mode specific "local" setting which means that each mode uses a separate default GB setting and if you choose to optimize GB, each mode needs to be separately ground balanced. This is because the ground balance setting is based on the Multi IQ profile which is unique for each mode. Without going into a lot of technical mumbo jumbo (primarily because the details are ML proprietary and kept from us end users and secondarily because I probably wouldn't understand it even if I knew the details) it is apparent based on how the machine behaves and that Mult IQ facilitates the ability to work pretty well with the default value provided the soil is "mild" or typical of most detecting areas. Therefore, Equinox will work fine within probably 20 points of the default setting under 80 to 90% of soil conditions. However, Multi IQ's use of multiple frequencies ALSO allows you to dial in a really good ground balance should you choose to either manually adjust ground balance or "AUTO" ground balance by pumping the coil and letting the Equinox select the optimal ground balance setting. Multi IQ also really shines under salt beach conditions and combined salt beach - black sand conditions because the multiple frequencies allow the Equinox to do a multi-point calibration of ground phase that accounts for the salinity conductivity effects and the magnetic effects of ferrous mineralization (black sand).

In summary, under most conditions you can get away with the default ground balance settings. If, when in ALL METAL (depressed horseshoe button) and you are hearing a lot of ferrous ground feedback and negative 8, negative 7 bouncing TIDs, then it is wise to do a manual or auto ground balance to clean things up. If you have moderately mineralized soil and/or highly fluctuating ground phase (typically due to mineralization or salinity effects) then tracking ground balance works well. It automatically tracks changes in mineralization/salinity and periodically rebalances the machine on the fly. Don't be afraid to use tracking ground balance when needed, it does not appear to have any detrimental effects. But I would avoid using tracking ground balance if your soil is really mild or you are on a dry beach because then there is not enough mineralization or salinity for the ground balance tracking algorithm to grab onto.

HTH

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

I haven't seen any posts on this. I was wondering what is everyones prefered method for ground balancing with the 800, and why?

Also - any negatives to always running in "tracking" mode? Some areas I hunt are literally full of trash, which makes it difficult to get an accurate/consistent ground balance number.

Thanks!

use as required, based on your ground conditions in your environment....treat the equinox just like you would your other machines...nice post ,it drew a number of responses I don't think you will have any problem proceeding...

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to thank all of you for your input, it was very informative and helpful :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fuceye, end the condescending remarks, back handed insults and smart aleck remarks.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify Jason were you referring to the manual stating?

The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes
because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields.

However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended.
If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce
ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt
levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by
sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard
up-and-down motion

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify Jason were you referring to the manual stating?

The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes
because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields.

However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended.
If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce
ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt
levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by
sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard
up-and-down motion