This is like cheating...EQ600

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel dirty, like i'm cheating. Am I the only one feeling this way? Are you all just keeping your astonishment quiet so others won't go out and get one of these? I don't do hype. I'm a "just the facts" guy. Show me the money type of guy. A, "do you think this dress makes my butt look big honey?" ..."Why, yes, yes it does make your butt look big" type of guy.

Got my EQ600 today, plugged it in for about 2 hours. Read some directions. Headed out to my yard. A trashy yard. An old 1860's house in the country. Just came in from a half hour of detecting and was just digging strong, repeatable signals. I never stopped digging coins in that half hour. Disclaimer, it was all clad so far, mainly from the 60's and 70's, but I'm approaching a dozen coins already. It isn't no virgin ground either, pounded it all last year with my AT Pro and this spring with a CZ7 a couple of times for good measure and this is just a small area, 20 x 30 feet or so. If I got high tone, i'll be damned if it wasn't a coin. Nails were even coming out of the holes, along with the coins!

Maybe i'm just a noob? Been detecting for ten years exactly. Ace 250, Whites Spectrum, Whites DFX, AT-Pro, Fisher CZ7. That's been my lineup the past ten years in order.

But this, this little EQ600 that I paid 551.00 shipped to my door with my veterans discount, is whole other ball game. Am I the only one? Is it just because I've never owned a Minelab? And if I throw a coin on the ground, the damn thing picks it up with the coil a good foot and a half off the ground and I had the sensitivity on about 10! I know, video's or it didn't happen. This isn't possible.... I need a nap.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been out with my nox 600 and I keep digging deep holes. I got 3 dimes and dug at least 10 inches every time.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Dark Side. 😉

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing it right. Every time I have taken a "new" machine in an "old" area I have experienced the same thing. The manufacturer didn't make any difference. Last year it was the Deus pulling buffalos and silvers at about a foot in a heavily trafficked and dug park. This year, it's back to the woods.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I feel dirty with it. Starting this weekend, though, I plan to feel sandy with it. Everywhere I've taken it it has found some decent keepers. Coming from a pretty decent machine in the Deus, it has still managed to impress.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, they really are that good. They excel in heavy trash, you just have to tune you ear. If you think you like it now, wait until you've got 50 - 100 hours of use on it.

I dont post much on TNET for finds, but you can read about some of my hunts, and my thought on the Equinox from start to now.
Latest Metal Detecting Hunts - The Silver Fiend

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my 800 for over a month. I might need to find some new ground. I have yet to be ‘impressed ‘ with any target. I like the ease of the machine and how light it is. But I’m still waiting for the ‘wow’ target that I feel that makes this Detector better that what I have used. I’m aiming to take it gold hunting in a few weeks. At this point I’m not sure if I feeling like I’m ‘cheating’....

But, I’m not ready to sell it yet.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same boat as Trinity. The 600 is light but not balanced as well as it could be. I'm mainly hitting my close spots that I've hammered for years with every machine you can think of but like said, I'm still waiting for that wow moment. Right now I regret letting the deus go to get this, but I'm hoping after more ground time I'll change my mind.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes holding onto my etrac for sure. But updating my invetory. Still, folks are excited about their finds with the nox. Cant believe you let go of the Deus.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, I just ordered the 600 but not getting rid of the Deus, too good a machine for many reasons, just not a great water machine

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of it is some detectors you really click with and like and some detectors you just never get that I really like feeling. I would put the E-600 in the AT Pro class and the E-600 is a superior detector in my eyes. I had an At Pro and was dam good with it but I like the 600 better. I also have an E-800 and love that even more. I had a V3i that I did well with but it never impressed me. I also have an ETrac and it never impressed me either. So I think for many people it's preference more than anything. If you have a detector you're good with and you really like it's hard to warm up to a new detector and be really objective. It was never about the V3i or ETrac ability because they are both awesome detectors but neither ever flipped my switch. On the other had the Equinox impressed me the 1st time I used it.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Normsel Im not understanding why you have a NOX 600 and 800 and others likely will have been thinkin as you have purchasing like you have..maybe just having one a back up and just getting rid of any machines now that just don't measure up?? or just believe other then your Whites V3i it is better? Others who have operated there V3i quit well have experienced it better the the NOX.

As TrinityBigfot has stated maybe he has not run into the luck others have with his yet, time will tell, but believe what I saw what others have stated the V3i produces quit well, maybe not as great dealing with RFI then NOX and if maybe there are differences on sensitivity on objects and recovery. :dontknow: For TrinityBigfot you have a nice mix of detectors, if I had I would be holding onto these for sure.

Last edited:

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess my main complaint isn't the performance as I'm digging some deep coins, it's easy to set up and it runs very stable. For me it's the balance/ergonomics. With some shoulder and neck issues, I had no problems with the deus, heck I can get along with my patriot as well but for some reason the eq just wears me down in a short time. I hunted with the various explorers for years and had to give them up for the same reason. Looking into trying an s shaft to see if that helps. Sux getting old, lol.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven’t told my wife about the 600 yet.... probably won’t end well when I do.
But I’m bookmarking all of these posts to bolster my humble request to buy another machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Wow" targets are known to hide in the daytime and come out at night. They also know to dig themselves deeper if they sense a detector nearby. But seriously, a "wow" target is mainly about getting a coil over it and digging it. My friend and I dug maybe 300 targets today, (exhausting), kind of like rubber duck hunting in a bathtub but none were "wow's." We gave most of the stuff to the property owners, and yes, we are getting very picky anymore.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my 800 for over a month. I might need to find some new ground. I have yet to be ‘impressed ‘ with any target. I like the ease of the machine and how light it is. But I’m still waiting for the ‘wow’ target that I feel that makes this Detector better that what I have used. I’m aiming to take it gold hunting in a few weeks. At this point I’m not sure if I feeling like I’m ‘cheating’....

But, I’m not ready to sell it yet.

If you were referring to my post regarding my statement that I was "impressed", I have never felt a single target recovered while using the Equinox was impressive (well save for my Eagle plate [see avatar], but that is impressive only for what it is, any beep-dig detector could have found it if the coil was put over it, but the Equinox kept me "in the game" by enabling me to work around melted aluminum slag that was in the vicinity of the target). However, I am impressed by its overall performance relative to a detector that costs twice as much, the Deus. Specifically, how it holds its own in thick trash, its visual and audible target id stability, its ability to give me information about a target before I dig it because of intelligently laid out controls such as the "All Metal" button, pinpoint audio, and the handy user profile memory slot (800 only) that allow me to interrogate a potential recovery. Equinox is not a Deus, the Deus with an HF coil still barely beats it out in super thick iron situations (we'll see how Equinox fares when the 6" coil is available) and the Deus is no Equinox, especially when it comes to stability and purpose built design for salt water surf hunting. The deep tide line coins and jewelry I have found with the Equinox ARE impressive in aggregate when compared to the Deus which would never be able to find what I have found deep in the wet sand. But, yeah, location, location, location. That is the key to most metal detecting success. The detector will impress if and when you get it to the right site. Hope you find that elusive "impressive" site.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too, am not seeing anything special with the Nox. I have approx 50-60 hours on it and I have not gained anything over what my ML Safari has given me. I'm not dissatisfied with it because I have something to show for it... a dozen silver coins, several dozen wheats, a couple of rings, some tokens, and the usual clad. Thus far, it is on par with my Safari and nothing more. I hunt on & off with a couple of Etrac & Explorer HOTSHOTS and they out-hunt me 5 to 1 in heavy trash. These guys are that good and the Nox hasn't given me an edge against their skill levels.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too, am not seeing anything special with the Nox. I have approx 50-60 hours on it and I have not gained anything over what my ML Safari has given me. I'm not dissatisfied with it because I have something to show for it... a dozen silver coins, several dozen wheats, a couple of rings, some tokens, and the usual clad. Thus far, it is on par with my Safari and nothing more. I hunt on & off with a couple of Etrac & Explorer HOTSHOTS and they out-hunt me 5 to 1 in heavy trash. These guys are that good and the Nox hasn't given me an edge against their skill levels.

Surprising, because skill can only take you so far when trying to separate targets in super thick trash with a machine with relatively slow recovery speed vs. The Equinox. Scary to think what they could be doing with an Equinox in their hands.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, like for us yesterday, we resorted to a big old fashioned shovel! No joke. With the owner's permission and them sitting right there watching. Had a great time but we would pull out 25 nails at a time with a harmonica reed right with it. Only one coin. We each got one intact bottle. My buddy dug an opium bottle and I got a Frey's that would have provided medicine to cure you if you had worms. Oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread