Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or it was some under ground/under water power line sunk in the ground. Check to see.

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or it was some under ground/under water power line sunk in the ground. Check to see.
And in the news today a man with a metal detector caused a power outage at Daytona beach pier.
The man dug until he severed the electrical cable that was supplying the electricity to the pier.
I'm no longer in Daytona.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a park with a ball field with my 800 last week. Nearby some of the park light poles the Detector went crazy. I suspect there we some underground power lines. I moved about 50’ away and everything was normal.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a YouTube video showing an equinox 800 going crazy. Then the owner took his cell phone out of his pants pocket and turned it off everything was fine after.

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a YouTube video showing an equinox 800 going crazy. Then the owner took his cell phone out of his pants pocket and turned it off everything was fine after.
I didn't have my cell phone with me.

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

probably not the power lines. Now that I think about I had detected there before and was pretty sure I detected them with the cz-21.
The cz chattered in almost dead center under the pier on an east -west orientation. Also in a straight line
My best guess is still a Wi-Fi signal and its orientation was wider and north -south.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails wrap it around a tree and get a beep and dig machine. :laughing7:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, smokey, you reeeaally don't like the Equinox, do you?!

Steve

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the smokey lol. I have had the same issue on hot dry days around power lines and underground cables. Sure hope you figure it out. I dont like getting close to any emi, always worry about frying my detectors.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a nutshell detector working flawlessly......
Until I was about 10 yards on either side of the pier at Daytona beach.
I got to assume wi fi from restaurant caused the problem. Number ids jumping all over the place.
Being lazy it was easier to remove myself that area.

Interesting....
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why my old AT PRO worked better on the beach than the nox 800 or 600 does. I've never had that vdi jumping issue. Not even a chatter and I've hunted many beaches in Florida including hunting the same spot AND EVEN UNDER THE PIER over several weeks where you mentioned. Here's CoCoa beach not far from the pier and the local restreraunt.. I actually had my phone connected to their wifi while I was detecting.

I too recently bought a Nox... and have noticed it doesn't like sandy areas even after groundbalancing. I'm begining to think I jumped on the hype wagon way too soon. No matter the tweaked settings , I'm just not impressed with machine and what its finding.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys need to buy Andy S. book now. he he he. Ok sounds like you have some hot detectors there with the nox. Tame that wild beast.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting....
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why my old AT PRO worked better on the beach than the nox 800 or 600 does. I've never had that vdi jumping issue. Not even a chatter and I've hunted many beaches in Florida including hunting the same spot AND EVEN UNDER THE PIER over several weeks where you mentioned. Here's CoCoa beach not far from the pier and the local restreraunt.. I actually had my phone connected to their wifi while I was detecting.

I too recently bought a Nox... and have noticed it doesn't like sandy areas even after groundbalancing. I'm begining to think I jumped on the hype wagon way too soon. No matter the tweaked settings , I'm just not impressed with machine and what its finding.

So you have both the 600 and the 800 and they both are "unstable" on salt sand? Something is def wrong. My 800 runs quiet as a mouse, stable audio and tones even on deep (8 to 15") wet sand and surf keepers. I don't even ground balance in Beach Mode as there should be no reason to unless you have a lot of black sand and even then Equinox detects and handles it by automatically adjusting transmit power. As far as RF EMI, I use my phone just fine for pics and hunt site tracking, do an auto noise cancel or manually choose the channel if auto does not suffice (800 feature only), and lower gain a few clicks if necessary and can still hit deep enough. Worst case EMI situations can even be handled by going to single freq in one of the non beach modes (but I have never had to do that).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari is right, just doesn't sound right. Try another beach before you have a panic attack, that is, send it back to the factory. And any machine that gives fits is just asking to be wrapped around a tree! I don't care which one it is .:laughing7: I know I've wanted to do it before...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a PVC water line once... Two words...

That sucked.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vferrari is right, just doesn't sound right. Try another beach before you have a panic attack, that is, send it back to the factory. And any machine that gives fits is just asking to be wrapped around a tree! I don't care which one it is .:laughing7: I know I've wanted to do it before...

I know a guy that buys golf club shafts by the bulk, he has an anger problem I believe and the shafts pay for it LOL. He also buys a lot of 5 minute epoxy

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I've had trouble is powerlines. Just turn sensitivity down until stable.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@vferrari , I only have the 600 so I can't speak for the 800 detector. However, I've never hit close to 15" on sand or even in an air test for that matter. Both don't get the same depth? I go hunting with another Nox owner who has an 800 and has been using a Minelab since the early 90's. He also has wild VDI numbers and eratic behavior in some areas on salty beaches. Coincidence ?Or Maybe just part of a bad batch of Nox detectors? Who knows.(I too use beach mode while at the beach). I'll admit that YES, it could be my fault AND I'm overlooking a setting or an environmental factor on random beach hunts. .
-Either way...I'm STILL No Nox fan.. not YET ANYWAYS.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread