First 2 hours with my 800 coming from a v3i. My thoughts so far.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: First 2 hours with my 800 coming from a v3i. My thoughts so far.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    First 2 hours with my 800 coming from a v3i. My thoughts so far.

    This afternoon i threw on some rain gear and figured I would give my new Equinox 800 a try at an old field I hunt and then at a newer ball field. I just want to put this out there, I have been metal detecting on and off for the last 25 years and I have owned the following machines in order: Garrett GTA 500, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites DFX, Whites Spectra v3i and now my first Minelab, the Equinox 800.

    Ok, so first the field. (I have not detected this field much at all but I did manage to pull a very early 1800's Classic Large sent out of it a few weeks ago with my v3i.) I spent about an hour in the field with very few signals to dig, and then ones I did dig were just can slaw and a bottle cap. (The 800 seems to LOVE can slaw. More on that in a bit.) I did manage to pick up a few pottery shards, a couple pieces of worked flint, and some weird red and white plastic game piece with "six" written on it. At this point the rain really started to come down and I decided that I would take a very short drive to a nearby ball field that I don't think has been in existence for a very long time in hopes of digging a few newer coins to see how the 800 hits on them.

    Once at the ball field I fired up the 800 and began detecting. ( I should mention that I am running the 800 on Park 1, sensitivity 20, swing speed 4, and 50 tones instead of 5.) My first solid hit by the ball field was a 20-22 reading at about 4 inches deep. I dug down 4 inches and found nothing but my pin pointer indicated that there was in fact metal in the bottom of the hole. After digging down about another 4 inches I pulled up and older(70's?) drink can. About 5 steps later I had another solid 20 reading, dug down about 6 inches and found can slaw. Now, having come from the v3i I have to say that I have barely dug trash at all aside from pull tabs in the last 5 years and even then I was 80 percent sure I was digging a pull tab so I am not used to pulling up this much disappointment with what I though were solid readings on this machine. At this point I continued my hunt and got a very solid 21 reading at 4 inches. This target turned out to be my first coin, a zinc penny. A few swings later and a 25-26 reading resulted in me digging up a clad dime. My next hit was a 30 all day on the 800 and that target was a quarter at about 6 inches. I then decided to walk to the outfield of the ball field to see what I could find.

    After digging 3 more low 20's can slaw, I had another 30 hit on the machine but this time it was not as solid. Thinking that there may be iron near a quarter, I switched to all metal mode and went back over the target. I was clearly getting the high 30 tone along with a low iron growl! After a tricky pinpointing, I dug down about 8 inches and saw the orange rust of iron in the hole. I was quickly able to pin point a rusty old square nail in the hole. Wondering if that was the only target, I ran the 800 over the hole again. Now the machine in all metal was giving me a solid 30 signal but it seemed very jumping to me. (Not just one beep but a quick two beeps if that makes sense.) A that point I stuck my pin pointer back in the hole and found a quarter right next to, and a little deeper down from where the nail was. Happy to recover the deep quarter, I decided to check the hole again and low and behold, there was still a solid 30 signal in the hole and this time it was not jumpy at all. After another quick pinpoint in the hole, I managed to pull another quarter out of the very bottom of my plug!

    I continued my hunt at the ball park for about another 30 minutes and in that time recovered several more clad coins with one being a clad dime in a hole with another rusty nail, and two others being multiple coin digs. (2 dimes in a hole, and 2 copper pennies in a hole at about 9 inches.) All in all, I had a pretty good handful of change by the time I was done digging, and a slightly better understanding of how the 800 works and sounds on coins.

    So, after my brief outing with my new 800, here are my thoughts. Having been using the v3i of about 5 years, I have really gotten to know the machine, and I always know when I am digging a coin. The spectragraph feature on that machine is nothing short of amazing when it comes to IDing a target and it is something I would love to see incorporated in newer, faster processing, better balanced machines. With the v3i I am usually certain about what I am about to pull out of the ground when I am digging. Having said that, Over the years I never really felt like I was getting the depth out of the v3i that I should be. Most days I would struggle to dig a dime deeper than 6, 7 inches tops. I have read all of the different tips and tricks about this machine and I have several custom made programs that are supposed to go super deep but never really seem to for me. Also, as much as I like the v3i, it is the noisiest detector that I have ever owned and seems almost impossible to properly ground balance it.

    The Equinox 800. I did dig a lot of trash today. Stuff I would never have dug with the v3i. Having said that, there were also targets today that, if I wasn't just learning the 800, I would not have dug and will not dig the next time. However, I don't know how I'm going to avoid those nice low 20's can slaw readings aside from lifting the coil up to see it the item is bigger than a coin signal would be. The 800 did seem to really lock onto coins for me today and anything over 25 that I dug was in fact a coin . More importantly, the 800 was going way deeper then my v3i ever has for me no matter how much I tweaked it, and the 800 was so nice and quiet compared to the v3i I found my self checking it twice to see if it was still on. Also, being that it was raining fairly hard and steadily today, without the 800 I would have found nothing today because I would dare not take the v3i out in such weather for fear of it taking on too much water.

    To sum things up, I think that once I am more familiar with the 800, it is a detector that I will fall in love with. The depth on this thing is just amazing to me. This thing goes deeper that any other detector I have owned! I really need to get used to the 50 target numbers versus the 200 of the v3i, and I am a little worried about missing jewelry and nickels with the 800 but I am hoping that with practice and some field tests I will be able to get a better feel for good, low conductors with this machine. I can't wait to hit some older parks and boarding houses with this thing to see what deep things I have been missing!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180513_190311487.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	1589843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180513_185013543 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	1589856
    Last edited by mhess22; May 13, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Truth, RTH, Hawks88 and 8 others like this.

  2. #2
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well for the life of me, I cannot get a photo to upload tonight. I will try again in the morning. I have one of all the finds and the can slaw and one of the finds cleaned up some.

    Ok got them.
    Last edited by mhess22; May 13, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Truth likes this.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

    Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    11,074
    23758 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mhess22 View Post
    Well for the life of me, I cannot get a photo to upload tonight. I will try again in the morning. I have one of all the finds and the can slaw and one of the finds cleaned up some.

    Ok got them.
    Looking forward to it and enjoyed the honest opinion.
    Wiganer likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    Title? old fart

    Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    8,586
    12581 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    well written, glad that you are getting a little excited about the depth that you felt that you had been missing out on. should be interesting for you
    Truth likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,187
    6642 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yep it takes some time to learn the audio, but irregular objects like can slaw sound off (clipped or distorted) with bouncy VDI in some cases. Pull tabs are going to be hard, esp if you want to dig nickels. Problem with the machine is lack of a telltale overload signal for large surface trash, though that can be ferreted out with the pinpoint function. With time, the subtle audio differential between trash and keeper targets combined with VDI stability becomes more apparent. You will still miss positive aspects of your V3i (Deus in my case) but resist the urge to fold on it too soon. Not saying it will definitely win you over in the end, but you do need to put in some hours with it. My Deus is staying, but Equinox is my all around go to machine. Equinox is my #1 for Beach (insane depth at my main beach), general relic hunting, park coin shooting, and foul weather hunting. Deus for low profile hunting, thick iron, grab n go, and air travel. GPX for insane mineralized soil deep relics.

    Good balanced, honest first time out review. Sounds like you did it right too by sticking to a single mode rather than mode hopping, good.

    I held my tongue on my first Equinox run. Was not impressed. Got the hang of it plus a couple jaw dropping recoveries and love it now.
    Last edited by vferrari; May 13, 2018 at 08:55 PM.
    Truth, sprailroad, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  6. #6
    us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    2,271
    823 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I know for a fact with the right settings and coil you should be able to get dimes at 10"+ with the V3i, of course you will need run customs programs and tailor it for your ground. The one thing that's bad for most is all the changes that one can make and the changes you need to make on other settings for those changes, one has to know exactly what each setting does and how it effects other settings. I don't really like taking the time to scroll through menus to make changes when I really just want to make the next good find, which is why I like my MXT so much. HH
    sprailroad, mhess22 and vferrari like this.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    661
    910 times
    Metal Detecting
    A very good, honest, balanced report. Sounds like you see some good things, and some things you don't like, about the 800. Makes sense. The V3i has always intrigued me, for ring hunting, but I've never used one. Maybe there's a role for both of them in your arsenal?

    Steve

  8. #8
    us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i Tesoro Silver Saber
    622
    200 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nickels seem to be the equinox strongest suit for me, I have found some buffaloes and a V nickel in just two short hunts in areas that I had previously hunted numerous times. The VDI hits 11-13 dang good chance of a nickel. VDI jumps from 12, 13 to 14 or 15 and seems more jumpy in general = trash...I believe in time this machine will prove to be the best nickel hound ever made...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180509_145439.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	1589930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180501_145747.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1589931
    Dig till it hurts, then dig until its too dark to see anymore.

  9. #9
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    I know for a fact with the right settings and coil you should be able to get dimes at 10"+ with the V3i, of course you will need run customs programs and tailor it for your ground. The one thing that's bad for most is all the changes that one can make and the changes you need to make on other settings for those changes, one has to know exactly what each setting does and how it effects other settings. I don't really like taking the time to scroll through menus to make changes when I really just want to make the next good find, which is why I like my MXT so much. HH
    I'm sure there is a way to get more depth out of my v3i but for the life of me I can't do it. It seems like when I make one or two new changes to it, one or two other things now need to be changed and so on. I do love the v3i but I have got to try something a little less complex for a spell. Thanks for the reply, it seems like we are in kind of the same boat with the v3i.

  10. #10
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty544 View Post
    Nickels seem to be the equinox strongest suit for me, I have found some buffaloes and a V nickel in just two short hunts in areas that I had previously hunted numerous times. The VDI hits 11-13 dang good chance of a nickel. VDI jumps from 12, 13 to 14 or 15 and seems more jumpy in general = trash...I believe in time this machine will prove to be the best nickel hound ever made...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180509_145439.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	1589930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180501_145747.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1589931
    I glad to hear that the 800 is strong on nickels! I look forward to passing the coil over a few. Thanks for the info.
    scotty544 likes this.

  11. #11

    Apr 2018
    4
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    in the same boat-was a v3i guy for years and jumped on the 800 bandwagon and pulling a lot of trash- wondering if i made a mistake going to the 800.

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,187
    6642 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by imtack View Post
    in the same boat-was a v3i guy for years and jumped on the 800 bandwagon and pulling a lot of trash- wondering if i made a mistake going to the 800.
    Disclaimer I just want folks to enjoy the hobby, I don't have a dog in the Equinox hunt. Frankly, as far as I am persinally concerned the fewer Equinoxes I see out there the better. Just don't want folks to punt too soon because making a shift from your bread and butter go to detector is hard. It's easy to just throw in the towel. Give it a fair shot but don't force it if it is not meant to be. Did you make a mistake? Hardly, this thing is hot and you can easily dump it and recoup all your cash and perhaps more.

    V3i and other folks experiencing buyers' remorse, ask yourselves some questions that may help you make decisions.

    How long did it take you to get comfortable with the V3i/CTX/AT Pro etc? Expect to have to put at least that amount of time into the Equinox.

    Why did you consider the Equinox in the first place if you were relatively satisfied with your present machine? I have a Deus that was killing it for me. But the promise of a fast, affordable, Multi Frequency, waterproof beach machine had me hooked. The fact that it can outdo the Deus at its own game in several respects is icing on the cake. Also, admittedly coming over from the Deus greatly reduced my learning curve.

    If you don't really have an answer for the second question, you will likely be disappointed if you were just grabbing for the new shiny object on the shelf. This thing is just a solid, value priced multi purpose metal detector. It cannot work miracles nor turn aluminum into gold.

    HH
    Ogre1190, HighVDI, Wiganer and 4 others like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  13. #13
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Disclaimer I just want folks to enjoy the hobby, I don't have a dog in the Equinox hunt. Frankly, as far as I am persinally concerned the fewer Equinoxes I see out there the better. Just don't want folks to punt too soon because making a shift from your bread and butter go to detector is hard. It's easy to just throw in the towel. Give it a fair shot but don't force it if it is not meant to be. Did you make a mistake? Hardly, this thing is hot and you can easily dump it and recoup all your cash and perhaps more.

    V3i and other folks experiencing buyers' remorse, ask yourselves some questions that may help you make decisions.

    How long did it take you to get comfortable with the V3i/CTX/AT Pro etc? Expect to have to put at least that amount of time into the Equinox.

    Why did you consider the Equinox in the first place if you were relatively satisfied with your present machine? I have a Deus that was killing it for me. But the promise of a fast, affordable, Multi Frequency, waterproof beach machine had me hooked. The fact that it can outdo the Deus at its own game in several respects is icing on the cake. Also, admittedly coming over from the Deus greatly reduced my learning curve.

    If you don't really have an answer for the second question, you will likely be disappointed if you were just grabbing for the new shiny object on the shelf. This thing is just a solid, value priced multi purpose metal detector. It cannot work miracles nor turn aluminum into gold.

    HH
    Just so we are on the same page, I by no means am knocking the 800 in my original post. I was just pointed out my observations after a brief 2 hour period of use. I do think that I am going to love the machine. It is easy to use and goes very deep! The reason why I got the 800 to begin with is because I wanted something that would hit on some deep silver (My main interest) without me having to spend 30 minutes trying to get it adjusted for the ground that I am hunting. I plan on taking the 800 to an old parked that has been hunted for as many years as I have been alive to see if I can pull a nice deep piece of silver out of the dirt. I have never dug silver at this park but I know there has to be a coin or 2 left and with the 800 in hand I feel more confidant then ever that I will find something.
    Wiganer and sprailroad like this.

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,187
    6642 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by mhess22 View Post
    Just so we are on the same page, I by no means am knocking the 800 in my original post. I was just pointed out my observations after a brief 2 hour period of use. I do think that I am going to love the machine. It is easy to use and goes very deep! The reason why I got the 800 to begin with is because I wanted something that would hit on some deep silver (My main interest) without me having to spend 30 minutes trying to get it adjusted for the ground that I am hunting. I plan on taking the 800 to an old parked that has been hunted for as many years as I have been alive to see if I can pull a nice deep piece of silver out of the dirt. I have never dug silver at this park but I know there has to be a coin or 2 left and with the 800 in hand I feel more confidant then ever that I will find something.
    Yeah, we’re on the same page mhess, per my first post above referring to your balanced OP review. I quoted and was responding primarily to imtack and others who have voiced their concerns about buying into the hype too soon.

    You should be responding to him (not me) as a fellow V3i owner as he would find your opinion more compelling than mine, I am sure.
    Last edited by vferrari; May 14, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  15. #15
    us
    Apr 2007
    Upstate New York
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's Spectra V3i White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    148
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You are right vferrari. I accidentally quoted you while looking at you quoting imtack. Sorry about that.
    vferrari likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Mar 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
  2. 4 hours at Treasure Island, 3 hours at Madeira
    By Crispin in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb 22, 2013, 04:27 PM
  3. IMAGES provoke thoughts, first thoughts
    By Frankn in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Aug 22, 2012, 09:11 PM
  4. yesterdays hunt 4.5 hours and todays 5.5 hours
    By wwwtimmcp in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 23, 2010, 02:14 PM
  5. 3 Hours Across from the Grove (2 More Hours added)
    By jeff of pa in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2006, 06:47 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0