600 heading in for shaft wobble repair

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent about 45 minutes today (again) trying to figure out what is causing the lower shaft wobble. Now it's driving me batty just thinking about it.

I decided to call Minelab. They're sending me a UPS label to ship it back. I was told that they have replaced some upper shafts because of this issue.

For those of you who have posted your concerns and frustrations regarding the wobble, do yourself a favor and call them. Personally, I'd rather get this behind me ASAP.

I'll update this when I have it back. Hopefully they'll tell me what the issue was so that I can share it with others.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so strange because I haven't experienced this at all. Do you think it is a cam-lock quality issue or diameter of the shaft inconsistency? I will have to take a closer look at mine and see if there is any wobble but I haven't noticed it. My Vaquero used to make a creaking noise and for the life of me I never could figure it out. I would come and go.. maybe a little soap would have solved it.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you getting YOUR unit back with a new shaft or a replacement / new detector ?

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is so strange because I haven't experienced this at all. Do you think it is a cam-lock quality issue or diameter of the shaft inconsistency? I will have to take a closer look at mine and see if there is any wobble but I haven't noticed it. My Vaquero used to make a creaking noise and for the life of me I never could figure it out. I would come and go.. maybe a little soap would have solved it.

My guess is it is the cam-lock. I don’t think it tightens enough to secure the lower shaft properly. It could also be the lock button used. It sits in the shaft with a lot of free play from side to side. I just dropped it off at UPS, so now it’s up to Minelab.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you getting YOUR unit back with a new shaft or a replacement / new detector ?

They didn’t say, but my guess is they’ll replace the shaft, confirm no wobble, and ship it back to me.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What all did you have to send back ?

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interested in hearing what the issue is. Mine hasn't had any issues, maybe I'm not using it enough? That said, my wife busted my chops the other day when I was planning to get out for a bit and it started raining pretty good. I says heck she's coming down pretty good I might melt, she reminded me that part of my pre-buy plea was it was water proof and I could hunt in a monsoon.
Crazy woman can't remember what she had for lunch but remembers what I said two months ago.. Good luck on your repairs.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In his case they will replace the shaft. If he had control box problems they would replace the control box. I have sent mine in twice and they replace what's wrong with it and send the rest back to you..

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read lots of reviews on this machine and plenty of people have noted how it has a flimsy cheap feel to it. I suspect the wobble in the shaft is the culprit leading people to that conclusion.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read lots of reviews on this machine and plenty of people have noted how it has a flimsy cheap feel to it. I suspect the wobble in the shaft is the culprit leading people to that conclusion.

I don't think it's wobble that gives this impression, it's the weight. People said it felt cheap long before the shaft wobble issue came up.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed that my shaft coupler does not grip the lower shaft like it used to. I can rotate the lower shaft a little even with the coupler cranked down. There is no wobble... yet...

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab service no longer requires you to send in the whole detector and accessories for the wobble problem. They will just have you send in the center shaft now.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab service no longer requires you to send in the whole detector and accessories for the wobble problem. They will just have you send in the center shaft now.

I'm one of the last customers to have to send the entire detector (and headphones) in. The policy changed to shaft only the next day after I packed it all up and shipped it out. Looking forward to getting it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread