600 heading in for shaft wobble repair *UPDATE*

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 600 arrived today 7 days from when I sent it in. While assembling it, I noticed that the lower shaft tightening nob seemed to rotate longer than the original one did. And it definitely felt more secure.

I took it out in the yard and immediately noticed a significant improvement from the original shaft. The pronounced wobble was all but gone. However, it is not completely gone. After 5 minutes I decided to speed up my swing above how I would normally. If I twist my wrist back and forth I could notice a slight movement. Then I held the coil and rotated my wrist back and forth, and the "play" on the shaft was still there. It is less than 1/2 of what it was, but it is there. Minelab definitely diminished the wobble for me, I'm just a little surprised that there would be ANY movement at all.

I am not complaining, I'm just puzzled by the shaft not being completely rigid. And I admit upfront I was trying to force a wobble if one was hiding somewhere. Over time, something moving slightly at this point may get worse as time and use goes on. Perhaps that slight play is there for a reason (?) Just to make sure I'm not being too critical (or nuts), I brought my AT Pro out and did the exact same thing. There was zero movement. None.

Bottom line: it is DEFINITELY better than it was, and I'll obviously be careful not to "horse" it when afield or at the beach. (Not that I would intentionally ever do so, but there are places I hunt that are pretty tight.) Bumping into trees and debris happens at times. I'm still intrigued by the Equinox, and will continue to learn and use it with enthusiasm.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phishfindr Got my shaft back today (Minelab had me to send in the middle shaft only), I reassembled tonight and the new shaft is tight. I made a sketch and took measurements of my old shaft before sending in, when I got the new shaft today the first thing I did was compare the old shaft measurements to the new. There where differences in the new shaft it is a few thousands larger. When I assemble the new shaft to the lower and upper shaft there was much more resistance to fitting the shafts, and the cam locks were also tighter. Surprised you still have some wobble.

OP
OP
Phishfindr

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phishfindr Got my shaft back today (Minelab had me to send in the middle shaft only), I reassembled tonight and the new shaft is tight. I made a sketch and took measurements of my old shaft before sending in, when I got the new shaft today the first thing I did was compare the old shaft measurements to the new. There where differences in the new shaft it is a few thousands larger. When I assemble the new shaft to the lower and upper shaft there was much more resistance to fitting the shafts, and the cam locks were also tighter. Surprised you still have some wobble.

Hal, I totally agree that the cam locks are tighter. My confusion is specific to the still existing wobble, even though it is MUCH better. I think it's an issue that I have noticed and still have issues (minor) with. I've always been a stickler for details like most of us. I would love the shaft to have zero play. That's just me. I know there are so many happy with no issues. Enjoy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the wobble won't affect the performance any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread