Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tested a few small thin rings.

1) Small PT950 (95% platinum) diamond engagement ring: 3 inches, 4-5
2) Small 18K, thin band: 3 inches, 4-5
3) Small 10% IRID Platinum Diamond Engagement Ring (90% platinum): NOTHING. Tested repeatedly. One or two random hits on the edge of the coil. ?!

I was only able to test in beach 2 due to time constraints (not my rings).

Anyone else?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I scoop all non-ferrous targets when I'm at the beach.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right but what surprised me was that #3 did not even make a chirp. Once in awhile I'd get a small blip but I would have never considered it a target.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have it in AM? Pure platinum is LESS conductive than iron. Iridium is is less conductive than gold. It wouldn't surprise me that the 90% platinum ring with iridium might actually give you a 1, 0, or even a negative number and if you have disc'd out iron, maybe wouldn't get a peep. If you were in AM and still didn't hear it, then I dunno other than to say that besides conductivity, the detector can also look for ferrous and non-ferrous components in the signal. The problem is compounded by the fact that both Beach modes are set up with low frequency weighting which makes them more tuned to hitting high conductors like silver and copper. This is partially a tradeoff to enable the Beach modes to balance against salt conductivity which mimics gold. So the thing that gives the Equinox great stability in salt surf, also tends to make it hit less hard on gold jewelry vs. the "2" modes and Gold modes. Of course Park, Field, and Gold mode, especially, are basically unusable in salt surf or even wet salt sand. The beach modes can hit mid-conductors at depth (nickels and gold) but mainly that is because the signal to noise ratio is very high in Beach mode as the salt is cancelled out, so if the target has some conductivity, you can hear it. But as you get further down the conductivity scale with the likes of platinum, you are going to have a hard time picking it up. Regarding, the 95% Plat ring, not sure what the 5% metal alloy mixed in is, if it is a high conductor, then that will help it become more visible even though it has a higher concentration of platinum. Just educated speculation based on what I know about the material properties as an attempt to offer an explanation. There are many other variables (size and shape of the target, orientation to the coil, etc.) that can affect the results. Another factor, not sure if you were testing at the beach, but if you were air testing over regular soil that had some degree of mineralization, Beach 2 scales back transmit power in response to detected "black sand" mineralization conditions, so that can affect the signal strength. Again, just grasping because I don't have the complete picture on how you conducted the testing. Interesting results, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, small plats can be a problem. Not sure how the mix of iridium would change the signal, but, I would think it would raise it, not lower it. I've found Iridium rings in the past and they read higher than their platinum counterparts. So far, I'm very happy with the tiny good targets I'm finding with the Nox800. Yesterday, I found 2 stud earrings, one reading 4, the other 6. Neither was an ear blaster, but, both solid signals and down 5-6". Also found 3 gold rings. Small 14K white gold band with rocks that read 6-7 and solid, a matching 14K white gold engagement ring with stones that read a solid 8, and a yellow gold 14K band that read 11-12 under a big rock and about 10-12 inches down. No way I find those stud earrings with my E-trac, but, I would with the rings.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had to search for a lost gold band with a meteorite insert. Read dead iron. Had to scoop every sound. Found it though! :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, small plats can be a problem. Not sure how the mix of iridium would change the signal, but, I would think it would raise it, not lower it. I've found Iridium rings in the past and they read higher than their platinum counterparts. So far, I'm very happy with the tiny good targets I'm finding with the Nox800. Yesterday, I found 2 stud earrings, one reading 4, the other 6. Neither was an ear blaster, but, both solid signals and down 5-6". Also found 3 gold rings. Small 14K white gold band with rocks that read 6-7 and solid, a matching 14K white gold engagement ring with stones that read a solid 8, and a yellow gold 14K band that read 11-12 under a big rock and about 10-12 inches down. No way I find those stud earrings with my E-trac, but, I would with the rings.

Iridium should slightly raise the plat, but it is still only half as conductive as gold, so at 10% by weight...not by much as far as a detector is concerned.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you have it in AM? Pure platinum is LESS conductive than iron. Iridium is is less conductive than gold. It wouldn't surprise me that the 90% platinum ring with iridium might actually give you a 1, 0, or even a negative number and if you have disc'd out iron, maybe wouldn't get a peep. If you were in AM and still didn't hear it, then I dunno other than to say that besides conductivity, the detector can also look for ferrous and non-ferrous components in the signal. The problem is compounded by the fact that both Beach modes are set up with low frequency weighting which makes them more tuned to hitting high conductors like silver and copper. This is partially a tradeoff to enable the Beach modes to balance against salt conductivity which mimics gold. So the thing that gives the Equinox great stability in salt surf, also tends to make it hit less hard on gold jewelry vs. the "2" modes and Gold modes. Of course Park, Field, and Gold mode, especially, are basically unusable in salt surf or even wet salt sand. The beach modes can hit mid-conductors at depth (nickels and gold) but mainly that is because the signal to noise ratio is very high in Beach mode as the salt is cancelled out, so if the target has some conductivity, you can hear it. But as you get further down the conductivity scale with the likes of platinum, you are going to have a hard time picking it up. Regarding, the 95% Plat ring, not sure what the 5% metal alloy mixed in is, if it is a high conductor, then that will help it become more visible even though it has a higher concentration of platinum. Just educated speculation based on what I know about the material properties as an attempt to offer an explanation. There are many other variables (size and shape of the target, orientation to the coil, etc.) that can affect the results. Another factor, not sure if you were testing at the beach, but if you were air testing over regular soil that had some degree of mineralization, Beach 2 scales back transmit power in response to detected "black sand" mineralization conditions, so that can affect the signal strength. Again, just grasping because I don't have the complete picture on how you conducted the testing. Interesting results, thanks for sharing.

Are you a genius? I’ll answer that.....yes.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an 18k white gold, hit at 13...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread