Nox 800 not so chatty now

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a 3 year AT Pro user. sold it and bought a nox 800. Wow first couple of day trying the 800 out it would not stop chattering unless I cranked down the sensitivity way low. Finally got Clive James Cylnick's book on the Equinox 600 and 800 (mostly covers the 800 since it has more features).

Here is what worked for me for hunting coins in the woods and field (not trashy parks).

I basically went to field 2, and set it up like this: ( i rely on tone breaks and volume settings rather than discrimination.)

Tone break ends
T1 ends 12, vol = 6 pitch 4
T2 ends 19, vol 22 pitch 11
T3 ends 24, modern include zinc pennies vol 25 pitch 17
T4 ends 39, silver vol 25 pitch 23 T5 25

I do everything with tones not discrimination. I turn off all discrimination in field 2.

very important I noise cancel, ground balance and adjust my sensitivity depending on the degree of trash. When I move to a new type of soil I do a new noise cancelation, ground balance and sensitivity setting.

Thus my Nox 800 runs very quiet with reporting all under 12 softly and the coins a louder. This makes it clear what I have under my coil and helps me get more depth by not using any discrimination.

First time out, found two modern dimes, one 1980 and a deep one was a 1967 dime. Found a .30 cal bullet. all gave very clear repeatable signals. Not looking for gold rings because not expecting rings in the woods where I am hunting around old farm buildings.

When I am hunting civil war relics I change the tone breaks and volume to make the 3 ringer bullets at 16,17 & 18 stand out. Again I change field 2 to not discriminate on anything and rely on tone breaks, pitch and volume to point out things I want and lower the volume on things I don't want, but still need to hear in the background.

By doing this you highlight the stuff you want and lower the volume and change breaks and pitches on the stuff you don't want but need to know what is under your coil with out hurting your depth capabilities.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish the 600 had tone breaks. I spend way to much time looking at the numbers. If I had a gps of when I grid, it would look like a bowl of spagetti:laughing7:.

Will have an 800 by the fall hunt!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Very useful information. Thanks.
HH
dts

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly use 50-tones as you get A LOT more information on the target that way and can be less dependent on TID's. Plus, no need to fool with tone breaks to differentiate between different high conductors because that just naturally comes with 50-tones. I like having the tone break adjustment option but have never seen fit to put it to use.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have just sat down with it and had a stern talk with it.:laughing7: Glad it worked out.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I am learning the 50 tones. I like it much better. No question on quarters, dimes I have not zero'd in on yet and nickels are becoming more plentiful and pennies are pennies with an occasional wild card of an earring or small charm

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, setting tone breaks, volume and pitches can be pain there first several times. I will experiment more with 50 tones as you are doing.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I progressed to using exclusively 50 tones too... until I did a water hunt and was getting lots of chatter and falsing. This made 50 tones extremely difficult to use. I quickly changed back to 5 tones. Now I understand why 5 tones is the factory preset for beach hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread