Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some soils around here with similar issues. No one here has truly found a work around except to use a PI Machine and dig every target. Is it red clay?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a VLF IB detector. Highly mineralized soil kills the depth. Multifreakers do it better than some singlefreakers, but they all suffer.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tracking GB or Iron Bias 1 or 2 or Gold mode

RelicsRings

Greenie
Mar 11, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4000, XP Deus, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My dirt is similar to yours, there is no way I would ever get an 8" silver dime with anything but a PI. The key with the Equinox is to set it up to run quiet otherwise you get all sorts of falsing from the ground and nails. Park 2 and Field 2 are hotter than either Park 1 or Field 1. In lots of iron I prefer to run Field 1 and reduce the sensitivity. Also run the recovery at 6 or higher when in bad ground and Ground Balance especially if you're in the mid 50's.

I've even got a place near a lake (lots of black sand) that I have to run Beach 2 because it's the only mode that will run quiet. If I don't run Beach 2 I get good sounding signals and dig down to find nothing. For example I was there last week running Beach 1 to test it, got a good solid 25-26, could swear it was going to be a dime. Switched to Beach 2 and then nothing, dug down 12 inches just to make sure and nothing. Any of the Park or Field modes near that lake and it's nothing but constant chatter. Again the key to the Equinox is to get it to run quiet otherwise you lose the good signals in the chatter, especially low conductors. It's not like the Deus where you can run it noisy and still pick out the good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread